Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From 68RFE to Alllison

rfullen280

Reaction score
Hello - ATSDiesel has a Allison conversion - and in their documentation it says the ECM of the truck has to be flashed to use "external TCM" or ... basically, like it's an Asin transmission.

Anyone know how or who to have that done with? Is it a complicated thing?

MtnRider

Reaction score
I would reach out to ATS and ask them, if that is their requirement, they must have recommendations on who can do it? I honestly don't know anyone who has done the conversion, pretty much everyone I have seen who has looked into it came to the conclusion it was better/cheaper to build an upgraded 68 instead.

tchur1

Reaction score
From the limited homework i've done/read about this - run as quickly away from ATS as you can. Others on this site can probably speak more specifically about why they are a no go, but hard pass for most.

If you search the forum for ATS it should pull up what others have experienced.

oledirteh

Reaction score
I looked into it for about 10 minutes until they sent me a qoute of 18k i believe it was, or 20+ i cant remember. When the time comes ill just throw in a suncoast trans or something.

My trans has had a code since 45k but no check engine light so i just keep driving and will upgrade it when it does decide to go. which as of right now its fine with no issues.

Wheelz

Reaction score
I actually just done the Allison Conversion. The only thing I used from ATS was the electronics and the conversion parts (ie, bellhousing, tcm, harnesses, t/c adapters). I dropped in a built Allision (LML housing) from Ingelwood transmissions called their "juggernaut jr" Anyhow, the conversion was plug and play. Mind you, I went from the Aisin so it was pretty easy. Just a matter of plugging in the TCM and transluctor boxes. The ATS TCM uses the Aisin transmission tune. I have a around 1000 miles on the conversion now and it drives really well. Pulled a 26K load up the grapefine no problem. No change in mpg. But shifts way better than stock. More aggressive cause of the mods done to the allison from Inglewood. If you do the ATS "installation" conversion kit, YOU will need to use their Torque converter. I didnt want to but its proprietary to only use their Torque converter. Which sucks cause i wanted to use a suncoast or a goerend. I believe since they made a custom bellhousing, you can't use any other TC than theirs.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a member on cumminsforum that has gone through hell trying to get his to work and ATS after the sale support has been, according to him, dismal.

Being in the Denver area, they have a REALLY bad rep here locally.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
ATS was huge back in the late 2nd gen and 3rd gen days but it seems they have gone downhill since. Mods are fun but don’t see the purpose myself in this high dollar conversion. I also wouldn’t want to get stuck with a special TC that might be discontinued in a few years and then your stuck

Users who are viewing this thread