Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent Regen 2020 6.7

flan

Reaction score
How long were they committed to sticking with B2 when you spoke, is it possible they switched things up state mandated or no?
It seems strange this started so quick after a fuel up when you had logged tons of miles with only 24’s.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
How long were they committed to sticking with B2 when you spoke, is it possible they switched things up state mandated or no?
It seems strange this started so quick after a fuel up when you had logged tons of miles with only 24’s.
It really didn’t start right after a fuel up. This type of performance has been on a build up since the previous active regen cycle. The only reason I made it to the 24 hour mark last time is that I had a ton of towing to do, which kept the DPF soot loading down. Anytime I was driving unloaded it was raising. As far as the fuel, the person I spoke to was adamant they were sticking with B2. But I have no way of knowing if there was a fuel change.

56ram2500

Reaction score
I would think they’re sticking to additives only. And yes it absolutely gets below 32°F here in Pa during the winter. Seems like we usually linger in the teens and low 20’s for a decent portion of the winter.
If that's the case then one has to wonder what the additives are doing to the fuel that allows you to not see early an soot load in DPF that in turn allows you reach 24 her regen

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If that's the case then one has to wonder what the additives are doing to the fuel that allows you to not see early an soot load in DPF that in turn allows you reach 24 her regen
I wonder the same thing.
I also wonder if it’s really the fuel, or if it’s the environmental changes. Possibly the MAF not adjusting to the lesser density of warmer air, or perhaps a combination of MAF relearn values and the change in fuels. I put PowerService silver bottle in this tank to see if it would help out. It doesn’t seem to have helped. I’m not sure what specifically about the anti gel additive would be beneficial to combustion or regeneration.

kfscoll

Reaction score
Looks like I’m heading back down the regeneration slide again. The truck has been flawless since November of last year. 7 months straight with only a 24 hour regeneration and no soot load registering on the dash. Fast forward to this week, I’m 424 miles since last regeneration and over 25% on the gauge already. Same drive cycles, same speeds, same routes, same fuel, same filters, same driver, same fuel station…….literally every factor the same except that the weather has been getting warmer. View attachment 72594

The truck didn’t miss a beat over the past 7 months and now it’s climbing like this for the second straight week in a row. Almost like it’s starting to repeat the same regeneration cycle stuff it did back in July of last year.
View attachment 72595

I consider myself very well versed in these systems and the operation of the truck generally, but this regeneration system has me utterly baffled. I fully believe there’s a malfunction somewhere, but finding it is going to be difficult

Now at 25% and 82 miles since last regen cycle. It rose another 12.5% in 51 miles. All highway travel at 75mph. View attachment 72715

Man, too bad your truck is acting up again. Welcome back into the fold...and glad to have you back on the case.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So to update:

I added power service silver to the previous tank of fuel once I started seeing the soot load register more. After all the driving and burning down 7/8 of that tank, it doesn’t appear that the power service did anything significant to help passive regeneration or keep soot load down. I was able to make it until this morning, where my truck initiated an active regeneration based on soot, not time. 524 miles and 11 hours since the previous regeneration. Previous regeneration was 502 miles and 14 hours. So I’d call that fairly consistent so far, and nearly half of the 950 or so miles and 24 hours of the preceding 7 regen cycles. I filled my tank the night before the truck went into regeneration. This time, I tried hotshots extreme in the tank. Full bottle dose (treats 40 gallons and I have a 50 gallon tank). Drove the truck home about 15 minutes and then shut it down. The next morning (this morning) it went into regen about 1/4 of the way to work. I was able to let it run for about 14 minutes and then had to park for work. On the way home it completed. 30 minutes worth of regen total between before and after work. All highway speed at 75-77 mph. DPF gauge reading 0% upon completing. I had to make a couple trips this evening so the truck got an additional 58 miles (all at highway speed 70-77mph) and the gauge is still reading “0%”. Some things to point out:

The previous regeneration cycle was completed on the highway, uninterrupted, unloaded, and took 25 minutes to complete. Conditions were 70-75°F and very rainy with high humidity. Soot load reading of 12.5% (one bar on the gauge) returned 31 miles after Regen finished.

Today’s Regen was completed on the highway, but interrupted once. Unloaded, at 70-77mph. Conditions were 60°F for the first 14 minutes this morning and 85°F for the remaining 16 minutes this afternoon, with hot dry conditions. Soot load reading has remained at 0% currently after 58 miles of travel.

Weather conditions during regeneration definitely can impact their effectiveness, as well as alter the overall performance of the truck. Could also be a difference between the Power Service and the Hotshots in terms of performance. Time will tell as I continue through this learning process. Regardless, the one thing I can certainly say is that the overall performance of this system and the truck as a whole, seems to be very consistent. It’s just very interesting how there’s been a roughly 50% reduction in performance in warm weather. We’ll see where the data goes as time moves forward, but two regen cycles back to back at roughly 500 miles each and about the same number of hours tells me that my drive cycles are indeed consistent (as was also demonstrated over the previous 7 months)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Another update:

Current gauge reading 110 miles since the last active regen finished:IMG_6591.jpeg

in comparison, I had a one-bar (12.5% ?) soot reading 31 miles after the previous regen cycle finished. So this is a significant improvement.

Not sure if I can attribute the increase in performance to the hotshots extreme, the weather change, or the new tank of fuel? (Or a combination of all three). But regardless the truck is performing better this interval.

Will continue to monitor and update.

Users who are viewing this thread