Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent Active Regen fix

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
150 mi between cycling would be a huge improvement for me! I’m at 16mi since the last regen and it is almost at 25% already. The last regen was 133mi after the new DPF was installed. My normal schedule is less driving out of regen than in. In other words it will regen within 30minor so and take 40-50mi to complete a regen cycle. Yet it still has never thrown a code.
Are you on my spreadsheet for the frequent regenerations?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
No I am not aware of it
I’ve been documenting trucks with regen frequency issues in the hope of finding if there’s a common thread between them. It also draws more attention to the issue and makes people aware that it’s “out there” so they can be informed. The spreadsheet concept worked really well for the Aisin transmission issue so I’ve been doing this for other prolific problems as well.

You can submit your trucks data using this form. If you want, you can open the form and review all of the questions and then fill it out at a later time after you’ve collected the data to answer all of the questions. The form can be accessed here:

Frequent Regen Issue Reporting Form

You can view the spreadsheet data here:

Frequent Regen Spreadsheet

CdnHO

Reaction score
Thanks have you had any regen issues?
None. 700 miles between regens when not towing. Apart from all the recalls, truck has been perfect for almost three years. Probably jinxed myself. LOL

Nifty07

Reaction score
My 2019 did the same thing. Dealer did a manual regen but it kept doing a burn every day. Eventually I emptied the DEF fluid, refilled and cleaned the DEF injector. I was surprised at all the white crystals almost blocking the injector. Sprayed the injector with water and it cleaned up without issue. Do not spray into the hole, I used a damp cloth and managed to pull out the urea deposits.

Reassembled and presto, the truck burns are now as per usual. I now go to a different truck stop for DEF and check to make sure it’s 2.5. I did not realise DEF has a use by date as it is organic.

Every service interval I now pull the DEF injector out and give it a clean. Have done nearly 75k miles since then and it’s never played up.

What I don’t understand is how the DEF injector affects the DPF.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

My HO doesn’t ever seem to peg the gauge and stay there, even towing up a grade at or near WOT. It backs down to ~33 psi.

The 2019 press release info on the CGI HO stated 33 psi of boost, and the 21 press release info said more boost so 35 seems appropriate.

I wonder if elevation plays a role in that. What elevation was that photo taken at?

What I don’t understand is how the DEF injector affects the DPF.

It doesn’t. Two independent emissions systems. DEF has no effect on DPF performance.

CdnHO

Reaction score
My HO doesn’t ever seem to peg the gauge and stay there, even towing up a grade at or near WOT. It backs down to ~33 psi.

The 2019 press release info on the CGI HO stated 33 psi of boost, and the 21 press release info said more boost so 35 seems appropriate.

I wonder if elevation plays a role in that. What elevation was that photo taken at?

It doesn’t. Two independent emissions systems. DEF has no effect on DPF performance.
About 1800 feet near Crossville, TN on I-40

Glassman

Reaction score
I just dropped the truck off for a 4th attempt at the frequent regen. I also brought to the dealership’s attention the fact that the oil is severely overfull. This time I took a picture of the dipstick. It smells more like diesel than out and is so thin it will hardly stay on the stick. I’ve already mentioned this once before and they claimed it was in normal range. I hate to change the oil myself due to it not being a documented problem but I also don’t like driving a new truck with diesel diluted oil.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 31

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I just dropped the truck off for a 4th attempt at the frequent regen. I also brought to the dealership’s attention the fact that the oil is severely overfull. This time I took a picture of the dipstick. It smells more like diesel than out and is so thin it will hardly stay on the stick. I’ve already mentioned this once before and they claimed it was in normal range. I hate to change the oil myself due to it not being a documented problem but I also don’t like driving a new truck with diesel diluted oil.
Wow…that’s great for the rotating assemblies :confused:

Was that dipstick reading taken after an overnight cold soak on a level pad?

Glassman

Reaction score
Wow…that’s great for the rotating assemblies :confused:

Was that dipstick reading taken after an overnight cold soak on a level pad?
Yes it was sitting all weekend on a level surface. I am not happy about it but I am in a damned if I do damned if I don’t scenario. Especially since it’s been like this or close for 3000 miles now. I worry what the bearings look like! I would like an independent lab test the oil but I don’t feel I should have to pay for it.

Units

Reaction score
Yes it was sitting all weekend on a level surface. I am not happy about it but I am in a damned if I do damned if I don’t scenario. Especially since it’s been like this or close for 3000 miles now. I worry what the bearings look like! I would like an independent lab test the oil but I don’t feel I should have to pay for it.
Just for curiosity sake, it that a pull and check or did you pull it out, wipe it and stick it back in then pull it out again to check it?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I would fork out the $40 and send a sample out yourself, as well as pulling the oil filter and cutting it open. The knowledge alone would be worth the money. Send it off to Polaris Labs and see what they find.

Units

Reaction score
I always pull wipe clean and reinsert
So, I came from a gasser and had to learn this the hard way. Let your truck sit for at least 3 hrs, overnight is better and just pull and check. When you pull and stick it back in and pull again to check it, it is creating suction and will pull oil up the tube and give you a false reading.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
I would fork out the $40 and send a sample out yourself, as well as pulling the oil filter and cutting it open. The knowledge alone would be worth the money. Send it off to Polaris Labs and see what they find.
That would provide much needed documentation in the event of an engine failure.

Glassman

Reaction score
So, I came from a gasser and had to learn this the hard way. Let your truck sit for at least 3 hrs, overnight is better and just pull and check. When you pull and stick it back in and pull again to check it, it is creating suction and will pull oil up the tube and give you a false reading.
It was at the same level before wiping as well. There is no question it is way overfull. I appreciate the advice though. I have always checked twice once being wiped and rechecked to verify it has not drug along the tube and to verify a correct reading.

Users who are viewing this thread