Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frequent Active Regen fix

Glassman

Reaction score
I have previously post on this but decided to start a new post due to updates. I have a 22 2500 with almost 8600mi. It started regening every 80-150mi approximately. It has been to the dealership 3x and the 4th scheduled for Monday. As of now it has had a new mass air flow sensor, and DPF installed. All updates done and reflashed. There has never been a check engine light nor has anything been out of spec. My last 100mi were 60-75 mph on open roads. Idling has been a minimum. The STAR team is who suggested the new DPF. I am open to suggestions and also anyone who has had similar experiences.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What airfilter do you have? Also check the EGR valve

Glassman

Reaction score
What airfilter do you have? Also check the EGR valve
Mine came without glue strips. I forgot to add that above. I tried a K&N for a short time as well with no changes. The EGR has not been visually or physically looked at but is functioning as normal

Glassman

Reaction score
Mine came without glue strips. I forgot to add that above. I tried a K&N for a short time as well with no changes. The EGR has not been visually or physically looked at but is functioning as normal
The DPF was not sooted up and tested fine but was still replaced due to that fixing other trucks. What is confusing to me is if the DPF is not sooted up why is it actively regening?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
The DPF was not sooted up and tested fine but was still replaced due to that fixing other trucks. What is confusing to me is if the DPF is not sooted up why is it actively regening?
I have run the gamut with my truck. MAFS, air filters, boost tube, fuel system pressure test, and fuel pump eval with no changes. They replaced the DPF last month and it now seems to be operating properly. Peeking through the pipe the original one "looked" okay, too, but who knows what the guts look like. Time will tell it it's fixed, but due to a host of issues I have lost faith in this truck.

Glassman

Reaction score
What does yours run for boost? Mine seems rather high. I can stomp on it empty and it immediately pegs the gauge at 35psi. When brand new it was limited to 30psi until 1500mi

bmbradstreet

Reaction score
I have previously post on this but decided to start a new post due to updates. I have a 22 2500 with almost 8600mi. It started regening every 80-150mi approximately. It has been to the dealership 3x and the 4th scheduled for Monday. As of now it has had a new mass air flow sensor, and DPF installed. All updates done and reflashed. There has never been a check engine light nor has anything been out of spec. My last 100mi were 60-75 mph on open roads. Idling has been a minimum. The STAR team is who suggested the new DPF. I am open to suggestions and also anyone who has had similar experiences.
I have a 2022 ram 3500 dually with 6.7 HO and AISIN tranny and I feel your pain. My truck started at 4500 miles doing exactly what yours is and after x amount of regens it throws engine code p2459 (excessive regen cycles) My dealership has thrown every part at it imaginable. They started with the DPF and all related sensors, new map sensor, new injectors, in other words everything that the book says to replace they have. Now the thing I am going to caution you on is your oil. Keep a very close watch on how much is on your dipstick. I noticed mine was overfull right before my recent oil change and come to find out it was diesel fuel. Over 2 quarts of diesel fuel had gotten in to the oil pan. The one thing Stellantis will NOT do is replace the ECM. They have spent over $30,000 on my truck to no avail. To those who have gotten their truck to run normal am very happy for them, I wish you all the luck with yours.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What does yours run for boost? Mine seems rather high. I can stomp on it empty and it immediately pegs the gauge at 35psi. When brand new it was limited to 30psi until 1500mi
More boost is better makes a leaner cleaner burn which is less soot build up, if your DPF was clean they were just wasting time changing it that means it seems to be a programming issue

Glassman

Reaction score
I have a 2022 ram 3500 dually with 6.7 HO and AISIN tranny and I feel your pain. My truck started at 4500 miles doing exactly what yours is and after x amount of regens it throws engine code p2459 (excessive regen cycles) My dealership has thrown every part at it imaginable. They started with the DPF and all related sensors, new map sensor, new injectors, in other words everything that the book says to replace they have. Now the thing I am going to caution you on is your oil. Keep a very close watch on how much is on your dipstick. I noticed mine was overfull right before my recent oil change and come to find out it was diesel fuel. Over 2 quarts of diesel fuel had gotten in to the oil pan. The one thing Stellantis will NOT do is replace the ECM. They have spent over $30,000 on my truck to no avail. To those who have gotten their truck to run normal am very happy for them, I wish you all the luck with yours.
Mine won’t even trigger a check engine light. I just don’t understand if there is resistance to trigger a regen what is it? If there is no resistance why is going into regen? I am with you that it has to be an ECM issue

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
We certainly understand how this would be concerning. Our team would be more than willing to assist in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage for further support, thank you.

Chris,
Ram Cares

andy685

Reaction score
No Check Engine light and you've had all those parts replaced? Impressive. The Star case engineer for mine said no codes... no issue.... it's working as designed. Just got it back yesterday. A month ago the MAF was changed from the German to Chinese, but that hasn't had any affect. I replaced the filter with the correct one two months ago. That didn't have any affect either.

My 22 is staying just above the limit to throw a Regen code. I've had them in the past, but now that it's up to 150 miles between Regen's it has stopped throwing codes.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine won’t even trigger a check engine light. I just don’t understand if there is resistance to trigger a regen what is it? If there is no resistance why is going into regen? I am with you that it has to be an ECM issue
DTC P2459 will only trigger if the time between regeneration cycles falls below the programmed threshold. Now….what that threshold is?…no idea. Ram doesn’t publish that information anywhere that I can access it, and that includes from the dealer side of the information

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Has the differential pressure sensor been replaced?

Have they tested your engine oil for fuel dilution?

Is your oil level rising above the “full” mark?

Have they inspected the turbocharger inlet to see if there’s excessive oil puddling on the intake side? …would indicate excess oil being drawn in through the CCV system.

Have they inspected the wiring harness just behind the driver front wheel to see if there’s wear / pinch / rub damage just below the cab (where that harness wraps around the cab mount)?

Have they inspected all wiring harnesses in the back that cross over the frame to see if the bed crushed a wire or harness during install?

Have they checked the injectors for proper balance and fuel return rates?

Have they tested proper operation of ALL sensors in the system including being securely installed in the pipe?

Units

Reaction score
Has the differential pressure sensor been replaced?

Have they tested your engine oil for fuel dilution?

Is your oil level rising above the “full” mark?

Have they inspected the turbocharger inlet to see if there’s excessive oil puddling on the intake side? …would indicate excess oil being drawn in through the CCV system.

Have they inspected the wiring harness just behind the driver front wheel to see if there’s wear / pinch / rub damage just below the cab (where that harness wraps around the cab mount)?

Have they inspected all wiring harnesses in the back that cross over the frame to see if the bed crushed a wire or harness during install?

Have they checked the injectors for proper balance and fuel return rates?

Have they tested proper operation of ALL sensors in the system including being securely installed in the pipe?
Man….. that is one heck of a list you compiled there. Great job. I think that just about covers everything! Lol.

Glassman

Reaction score
More boost is better makes a leaner cleaner burn which is less soot build up, if your DPF was clean they were just wasting time changing it that means it seems to be a programming issue
I disagree on the boost statement. More boost would actually call for more fuel otherwise you could melt a piston running lean. I do agree with you it seems to be ECM related.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I disagree on the boost statement. More boost would actually call for more fuel otherwise you could melt a piston running lean. I do agree with you it seems to be ECM related.
Not quite. You burn more fuel to build boost but the boost leans out the burn for example you get black smoke until the turbo spools then it goes clear. Diesel is not the same as gas you are more likely to melt a piston with more fuel not less.

most melted pistons are from a leaking injector

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Man….. that is one heck of a list you compiled there. Great job. I think that just about covers everything! Lol.
I’m always leery when I hear of a dealer diagnosing a P2459 and jumping right to replacement of the DPF. It’s absolutely imperative to ensure that every system upstream is 100% functioning correctly prior to throwing a DPF at the situation. Otherwise the problem will usually persist and eventually ruin another DPF.

Glassman

Reaction score
No Check Engine light and you've had all those parts replaced? Impressive. The Star case engineer for mine said no codes... no issue.... it's working as designed. Just got it back yesterday. A month ago the MAF was changed from the German to Chinese, but that hasn't had any affect. I replaced the filter with the correct one two months ago. That didn't have any affect either.

My 22 is staying just above the limit to throw a Regen code. I've had them in the past, but now that it's up to 150 miles between Regen's it has stopped throwing codes.
150 mi between cycling would be a huge improvement for me! I’m at 16mi since the last regen and it is almost at 25% already. The last regen was 133mi after the new DPF was installed. My normal schedule is less driving out of regen than in. In other words it will regen within 30minor so and take 40-50mi to complete a regen cycle. Yet it still has never thrown a code.

Glassman

Reaction score
We certainly understand how this would be concerning. Our team would be more than willing to assist in resolving this alongside your dealer. Please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage for further support, thank you.

Chris,
Ram Cares
I have had a case open for a long while as well a STAR case. What I would really like is for someone at Ram Cares to not only care but to speak clear English. I have called in several times and each and every time I reach someone with such a strong middle eastern accent I can hardly understand them and they have no idea what I am saying. My case manager is the same way. Half the time I don’t know what he says on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread