Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox vs King Northeast

JasonB

Reaction score
I’ve been doing a bunch of research on Carli/Thuren suspension systems. I’m leaning towards a leveling kit. I’m located in Buffalo NY so we have a small weather component to consider. It appears the Fox shocks would be ok, especially if a suspension boot was used. In reading about the King 2.5 shocks, I’ve read different things. Saw one YouTube video that said it’s very resistant and it was ideal for the NE. Read one post, though I think it was older, that their King 2.5 looked like a rusted out 40 year old shock.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Thanks for the help.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I actually went through the same thing not long ago (I'm less active on the forum and don't recall if I posted here or the CTD forum).

From my research, Fox will do better on the body but the shaft isn't stainless so it will eventually get a chip and tear out the seal. Kings will get surface rust on the body but the shaft (if upgraded with a stainless shaft) shouldn't have an issue. I chose to have mine cerekoated from the factory as it's an option available through Thuren.

I've got King 3.0/2.5s on order so I have at least a little bit of faith they should last. Other options would be 3M wrap, fluid film, etc.

JasonB

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback here. Your route seems like the best way to go though I'm not sure I could stomach the 3.0/2.5 cost as much as I'd love to. May look at shock boots with the Fox, or wrapping the Kings. Now I just need the truck to get here.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I hear you. I have gone the more low and mid tier routes before. This is my first diesel truck and it's been a bit of a lifelong dream to own one but I could never stomach the cost previously. I finally had an excuse and the extra saved coin to buy so I did, that is when I decided I wanted only top tier products. Ask me in a few months how I like the Kings compared to the Thuren Overlands I've currently got on and I'll let you know.

One thing to remember with the boots is that in the northeast you need to treat them as a yearly maintenance item, otherwise they are going to capture a bunch of salt and dirt and do more harm than good. Fox may have an available upgrade to stainless shafts but my understanding is that isn't available. I know that Thuren currently is working on releasing some new Fox shocks that may have upgraded shafts, however they have adjustable dampers that I don't think would do well with salt, at least as I hear from Thuren.

The additional cost of having the Kings coated was worth it to me, wrapping is also a good option but you will still need to spray with fluid film or something otherwise you're letting salt and such chew away at the edges where the wrap meets the caps.

JasonB

Reaction score
Would love to hear the feedback between the two. What do you think about the Overland shocks? I have essentially dismissed them but they are a very affordable option.

How much was the coating? As they say, buy once, cry once. Maybe I should just go with a King 2.5 Leveling kit and get them coated vs messing around with the Fox shocks.

slackerwill

Reaction score
I ended up with the Thuren Fox 2.0's. Nothing higher end in stock at all for months. Waiting on Thuren to release the adjustable Fox 2.5's at this point. Should be awesome for California. Cerakoted stainless King's should be the most durable. That's probably what I would go with if I was in salt/snow areas consistently.

And Go Bills! LOL - making an assumption here but saw Buffalo in your post and am so frickin excited about this season that I had to say something!

JasonB

Reaction score
LOL, I am in Bills country, though I will say I'm not a Bills Mafia member.

My truck is sitting in Mexico right now waiting for shipping. New tires just arrived to the dealer today so they can be installed prior to delivery. Might go for the level right off the bat, or might just enjoy what it is and wait it out till next summer. Give's me more time to tuck away the pennies and just buy the Kings. Good to know Fox's are the only thing available right now.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Would love to hear the feedback between the two. What do you think about the Overland shocks? I have essentially dismissed them but they are a very affordable option.

How much was the coating? As they say, buy once, cry once. Maybe I should just go with a King 2.5 Leveling kit and get them coated vs messing around with the Fox shocks.

I'll be happy to share, just make sure to ping me or something towards December and I'll let you know. Forgive the long response, I figured I'd give more details than less since I was in your shoes recently.

As for the Overland shocks, I can't compare directly for the shocks alone, since you need the shocks for the springs. I also got the whole Thuren catalog basically (Sway bar, front and rear track bar, springs and shocks). I also installed 37" Falken AT3Ws and 17" AEV wheels at the same time, so this is far from apples to apples. That said, comparing those mods over stock it's a night and day difference. The truck is much more comfortable on the highway as it absorbs all the imperfections well over stock. When I would go over expansion joints or the like the rear of the truck would not stay planted over them, it would hop a little and you could feel it. Any bumps in the road would also cause you to sort of hop out of your seat, not drastic but noticeable. Both of those issues are now gone and I can cruise on dirt roads with decent sized ruts without much issue. In part due to the smaller wheels over stock and larger tires but also in part to the springs and shocks. It will be interesting to compare the Kings but from what Chris at Thuren tells me it's a vastly improved ride.

That said, everything comes with a compromise and truck height is one. I'm not super stoked with how tall the truck is now, both from a visual standpoint and also a daily use standpoint. These trucks sit pretty high from factory and my suspension lift and tires didn't help matters. I am planning on AMP steps for sure, I'm trying to see if there is a way that I can customize some sliders to work with the steps as well, although it's gonna be a but of work to make that happen. I would say if I could do it all over I may opt for a 1-2" front spring and a -0.5" rear, which I initially looked into but I also was thinking about off road performance and wanted to have as much travel as possible. I made the call to go a bit taller with the 2.75"/1" combo and I'm happy overall with the caveat I had mentioned.

If you look at Don's truck ( ) I think the look is basically perfect and he is running 37s as well (although I believe Nitto or Toyo which are closer to a "true 37" than the Falkens which measure out at about 35". That said, the setup I'm currently running does leave me space for 40s if I decide to go down that route in the future (which was something I wanted to leave the option for).

The Cerakote option isn't cheap ($280 for the body front alone, another $100 for the front resi), but I figure if you're dumping close to 2k on shocks for the front alone it makes sense to protect them and if $400 is the difference from me spraying them off and having them look "new" for longer than 1 season it's well worth the price of admission.

It all comes down to what you expect from your truck and what your budget is. (forgive the tangent) I'm blessed to be able to afford these toys due to an awesome gig in a well paying sector and outside of a mortgage I keep all other costs down low. I don't try to "keep up with the joneses", I just have a few hobbies I toss money at and everything else is cheap (no expensive clothing, no designer shoes, no daily trips to starbucks or expensive dinners or drinks out, etc.) In "the end" it's very likely that I'll have more money in mods done to this truck than the initial cost of the thing so if I ever sell it I'll take a bath. Luckily Cummins power means I should be good for at least 20 years if I keep up with the maintenance.

One last thing to consider would be that the Thuren rear springs are going to lower your payload by a bit so if you tow/haul heavy often you're going to want to look at timbrens/sumo helpers or bags. This isn't a huge thing for me since I'm only towing a trailer (that I don't yet own, stupid covid) a few times a year for trips and a small bass boat a buddy lets me borrow. Just something to keep in mind since the rear springs/shocks are going to play a decent part in how the truck rides.

All that said, the truck performs great on and off road. I took a trip up to northern VT a month ago with a bunch of other off road guys and there were some heavily modded toyotas and jeeps there. While some of them had to flex to the point of having wheels off the ground at multiple points and needed to be careful with picking lines I was able to basically bulldoze right over everything. The amount of travel in the springs/shocks was superior to everything there except for one jeep who had slightly smaller tires and prob a hair more ground clearance pumpkin-to-pumpkin. I only missed one trail due to it being a UTV trail and I wasn't ready to pinstripe my new baby quite just yet.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or respond and I'll do my best to answer them. I also had a lot of time comparing Carli vs Thuren and you can see where I landed so if you're interested in more that's prob best a convo in PM.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
... I think the look is basically perfect and he is running 37s as well (although I believe Nitto or Toyo which are closer to a "true 37" than the Falkens which measure out at about 35". That said, the setup I'm currently running does leave me space for 40s if I decide to go down that route in the future (which was something I wanted to leave the option for)...
Your statement about "true 37s" really got my wheels turning (pun intended), so I had to go take peek for myself. I rolled one of my Toyo 37" spares out and parked it next to the truck with the current 37" Falkens. Even unloaded, the Toyo isn't any taller than the Falken.
Toyo_Falken_1.jpgToyo_Falken_sxs.jpg

UglyViking

Reaction score
Your statement about "true 37s" really got my wheels turning (pun intended), so I had to go take peek for myself. I rolled one of my Toyo 37" spares out and parked it next to the truck with the current 37" Falkens. Even unloaded, the Toyo isn't any taller than the Falken

That is interesting. I have heard from multiple sources that the Toyo and Nitto are "true 37s" and the falkens were small. Good info, now Falken just needs to releast a AT3W in 39".

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I should measure, but the spec of 34.6" for the 285/65R20 Falken tire is off just based on what I had to put into AlfaOBD to true up the speedo.

Reaction score
For what its worth, I ran Fox 2.0s on my last diesel in alaska for three years and I never had any corrosion issues, even with the hard winters and barely ever washing the truck. My only experience with King shocks is on my RS1 and thats down in California so I cant speak to cold weather and corrosion for those, but they do great in the desert!

21Limted

Reaction score
I'll be happy to share, just make sure to ping me or something towards December
@UglyViking, I appreciate the detail you put into your posts above. Assuming you have the new Kings installed now, any chance you’d be interested in giving us a comparison between them and the Thuren Overlands?

UglyViking

Reaction score
@UglyViking, I appreciate the detail you put into your posts above. Assuming you have the new Kings installed now, any chance you’d be interested in giving us a comparison between them and the Thuren Overlands?
I have been slammed at work lately and my weekends have been pretty dedicated to hunting season this year, so I've not yet been able to swap them out. I should be getting them installed in about two weeks, along with some amp steps, so I'll update once I'm able to get them installed.

21Limted

Reaction score
I have been slammed at work lately and my weekends have been pretty dedicated to hunting season this year, so I've not yet been able to swap them out. I should be getting them installed in about two weeks, along with some amp steps, so I'll update once I'm able to get them installed.
I know the feeling. Winter didn't even sneak up on us here in MA this year, but I still haven't had time to get the property ready for snow. I'll be looking forward to hearing your review once you've put some time on them.
I placed an order for my truck yesterday so I have time to make a decision, but I'm tempted to order everything and have it ready to install the day I pick it up. Like you were, I'm still on the fence between Carli and Thuren. Still on the fence about a lot really. Tires: 35 or 37 and brand, Level vs. Lift and brand, tonneau cover/storage, wheels... o_O

heyguy

Reaction score
I’ve been doing a bunch of research on Carli/Thuren suspension systems. I’m leaning towards a leveling kit. I’m located in Buffalo NY so we have a small weather component to consider. It appears the Fox shocks would be ok, especially if a suspension boot was used. In reading about the King 2.5 shocks, I’ve read different things. Saw one YouTube video that said it’s very resistant and it was ideal for the NE. Read one post, though I think it was older, that their King 2.5 looked like a rusted out 40 year old shock.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Thanks for the help.
I ran Fox 2.0 shocks on my Hummer H3 for 10 years and never had any sort of corrosion issues. Canadian winters with sanded and salted streets. The aluminum shock body will never rust. If you wanted to go the extra mile coat the body with Sharkhide before install.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I ran Fox 2.0 shocks on my Hummer H3 for 10 years and never had any sort of corrosion issues. Canadian winters with sanded and salted streets. The aluminum shock body will never rust. If you wanted to go the extra mile coat the body with Sharkhide before install.
Did they have upgraded stainless shafts? The big issue with the fox 2.0 is that the shafts can get knicked and cause tears in the body.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

heyguy

Reaction score
Whatever shafts they came with, not sure. But they never rusted and I did have the rooster shields on the back ones.

Users who are viewing this thread