Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer

el_barto

Reaction score
How many of y’all running the Fox ATS Steering stabilizer? What’s the rest of your suspension ? Worth it? Any Fitment issue with Carli front diff guard?

It seems to have good reviews but not sure if it’s mostly beneficial with a lift and 37’s

My current setup: 2019 power wagon, stock height but running Fox 2.0 shocks, 35” tires on stock wheels

Ostracize

Reaction score
I am running one. 3500 mega limited on 35s
Thuren leveling springs, sway bar, radius arms, trackbar, and all fox 2.0 shocks.
Can't speak of any fitment issue with diff guard.
I like the adjustability personality felt like the oem one was doing basically nothing... And as a plus if I do ever go for 37s it's ready.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I'm running it with the carli diff guard and my half thuren/half carli suspension setup - AFAIK the only Carli part that would cause you clearance issues is the carli front trackbar.

The 1st 3 suspension modifications on my truck where the thuren swaybar, the synergy box brace, and the ATS. Going from stock to ATS was pretty noticeable and then closing the ATS almost all the way off really was the cherry on top for me when it came to steering dampening on the highway, construction zones, and on poorly maintained gravel roads. I didn't install the rest of the suspension for a while due to delays in getting everything, lining up the install/alingment, work/life stuff, etc.

I'm running a tweener size in 315/70R18 OpenCountry M/T's and once I got those heavy 36x13 M/Ts on there it felt like the stock dampener wasn't doing any dampening. It doesn't totally fix the radial pull like adjusting the nitrogen pressure in the Carli twin dampener setup can, however, I'm used to it with M/Ts and will likey go with A/Ts on the next set of tires when I go to 37x12.50. I like that it's neutral and balanced in its dampening both directions - Honestly if the setup wasn't so costly and wouldn't cost me losing some downtravel, I would get the Synergy tie-rod setup with two ATS dampeners on it. That said I also like heavier steering and closing down the ATS does give you some of that so it would be nice to be able to run two of them with each one running more open.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Check with Carli but it may interfere with the Carli track bar if you have one installed or planning to.

el_barto

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. My PW has about 45k miles, so maybe the stock one is getting worn out, but I the steering has a mind of its own if you’re not holding tight going over big bridge expansion gaps on the highway. My understanding is the ATS will be able to reel that in.

I don’t really have plans to ever replace the track bar.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. My PW has about 45k miles, so maybe the stock one is getting worn out, but I the steering has a mind of its own if you’re not holding tight going over big bridge expansion gaps on the highway. My understanding is the ATS will be able to reel that in.

I don’t really have plans to ever replace the track bar.
While the ats will help I'd take a close look at your upper/lower ball joints... Any play with a pry bar I'd replace them.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I'm sure it works, but so does my stock stabilizer. 160k and still running my original one with 35's and it drives straight and smooth as can be. A steering stabilizer is Not a problem solver, find the issue and fix it, something is worn or loose...

el_barto

Reaction score
I'm sure it works, but so does my stock stabilizer. 160k and still running my original one with 35's and it drives straight and smooth as can be. A steering stabilizer is Not a problem solver, find the issue and fix it, something is worn or loose...

While the ats will help I'd take a close look at your upper/lower ball joints... Any play with a pry bar I'd replace them.

You guys make a good point about not “fixing” the issue by just covering up the root cause.

That said the truck has always been a bit jumpy over expansion gaps even when new, it just seems to have gotten more noticeable (could be worn parts…ball joints or steering stabilizer; could be the roads getting worse; could be I haven’t driven the truck as much this year so when I do things are more noticeable). No noticeable increase in play in steering wheel, and no pull / drives straight.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
You guys make a good point about not “fixing” the issue by just covering up the root cause.

That said the truck has always been a bit jumpy over expansion gaps even when new, it just seems to have gotten more noticeable (could be worn parts…ball joints or steering stabilizer; could be the roads getting worse; could be I haven’t driven the truck as much this year so when I do things are more noticeable). No noticeable increase in play in steering wheel, and no pull / drives straight.

It's really the dual opposing nitrogen charged dampeners that can "cover up" lose ball-joints, bad tie rod/drag link ends, worn trackbar bushings, etc by putting things under tension, similar to how the Hemi/PW anti-hop shock keeps the rear control arm bushings under tension. I put my ATS on before the 2nd oil change and noticed the difference over stock immediately for where and how I drive my truck.

That said they do bring up good points. I'd check everything out to see if you do have some wear, I'd specifically look at the track bar if it's still stock. I've talked to some guys and seen some that as low at 20K miles start to have some lateral play at the frame side. As soon as that trackbar develops play then you could feel that play similar to poor steering dampening before it gets worse and starts clanking/etc. Thuren has a good write up talking about Death Wobble on Ram's, but it's also a good resource when looking at any steering/front end looseness.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
2022 3500 CCLB HO, Thuren 1.75” front (2.25” on a 2500), Thuren Fox 2.0 all the way around, 37x12.5R18 Falken AT3Ws on Method HD 18x9 +18mm. I added the Fox ATS 2.0 adjustable damper and it made a noticeable difference on road, and significant difference off road. I expect it would make a larger difference with a more aggressive tire or larger offset wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread