Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Collision Warning

smh310

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the forward collision with active braking works? I have about 1200 miles on my truck so far and haven't even seen a warning that I was coming to close to someone. I've tried getting close to the car in front of me but still nothing.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
Needs to be activated in Connect settings and then turned on in the center dash controls and using the button on the steering wheel. Needs to be turned on each time you start the vehicle. If it is not setup correctly you will see a yellow alert light on the lower right of the dash screen.

jpaeth

Reaction score
If you are just tailgating someone it wont give you an active alert most likely. In my wife's Touareg, it just pops up a little icon telling you you're too close. Its sensing you are too close, but you are traveling at the same speed, so there's not an imminent collision. Now, if that person brake checks you and their speed reduces quickly, it will pop up an alert and likely begin braking to intervene. The systems have to be effective at mitigating most major collisions while still not being invasive, or else people wouldn't want it active.

smh310

Reaction score
Needs to be activated in Connect settings and then turned on in the center dash controls and using the button on the steering wheel. Needs to be turned on each time you start the vehicle. If it is not setup correctly you will see a yellow alert light on the lower right of the dash screen.
Isnt the button on the steering wheel the adaptive cruise control? I have the setting on in uconnect settings.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I've had it happen once. It was high speed. It'll wake you up. From my experience with other vehicles is that it only works at significant speed with a stationary intent in front of you.

smh310

Reaction score
I've had it happen once. It was high speed. It'll wake you up. From my experience with other vehicles is that it only works at significant speed with a stationary intent in front of you.
Do you have it on near, med or far?

texas.yankee

Reaction score
For the forward collision setting, I have it on med, with active braking. There was a large red alert that popped up behind the steering wheel along with an audible tone right before the brakes kicked in. I did not have the adaptive cruise control on. I was pretty close to the vehicle before it engaged, my guess would be less than 50 feet. I was passing a turning vehicle so it must have thought I was not going to go around it. In my other vehicle if you are alert or touching the brake at all it does not function. I imagine this truck is similar.

Branog

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the forward collision with active braking works? I have about 1200 miles on my truck so far and haven't even seen a warning that I was coming to close to someone. I've tried getting close to the car in front of me but still nothing.
I have 3400 miles on my 3500 and have yet to see any warning. I say the Adaptive cruise is too sensitive, but have yet to see any warning whatsoever from the forward collision warning. What am I doing wrong?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

FCW? No it does not need to be enabled every time you start the truck. It retains whatever settings you have selected.

Mine is set for and stays on warning only and I've seen it throw the warning twice when passing a turning vehicle. The system is going to sense a closing speed to another vehicle that exceeds the algorithm parameters - speed/distance/closing rate - and either alert when active, or actively brake.

Adaptive Cruise Control is enabled on the wheel just like regular cruise and resets.

FCW and ACC are mostly independent systems that share common sensor inputs. I have FCW active braking turned off and ACC will still slow me and brake to a stop. FCW will also alert with or without ACC turned on.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Closing in on other vehicles to test FCW is a recipe fer something unpleasant. Don't have it - don't want it.

Users who are viewing this thread