Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For us guys without the Powerwagon lockers...there is BLDS

jkbrereton

Reaction score
Interesting....
From the article:
"The main drawback to an open differential is that torque is always split 50/50. Each wheel receives 50% of the input torque (ignoring losses). This means that if one wheel is in the air and it takes almost no torque, say 10 ft-lb., to turn the wheel, the other wheel will only receive 10 ft-lb. of torque. If 10 ft-lb. is not enough to move the vehicle in the desired direction, it will not move.

Using the vehicle’s wheel speed sensors, BLD knows when one wheel on a driven axle is turning and the other is not. BLD will apply brake pressure to the wheel that is turning.

The applied brake pressure increases the torque required to turn the wheel in the air and this allows more torque to go to the wheel on the ground. The one drawback is that the input torque must be twice as much as required to negotiate the obstacle because of the brake application. The required extra torque is not usually a problem especially in 4wd low range."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope to try this out on a hill I was unable to make it up a couple weeks ago. Got to wait for snow again, it is 50 here in PA...snow is gone for now.

I am hoping to get out to Bald Eagle Stste Forest soon to do some planning for a off pavement travel/dispersed camping excursion and I think if I can master this BLDS, I won't have any worries.

jkbrereton

Reaction score
I remember seeing a video some time ago advising to slowly apply the emergency brake as you gently accelerate when stuck in the snow. Sounds like it will do the same thing as to what the article suugests

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Possum

Reaction score
Since 2009 as I understand

Yeah my 09 had it front and rear (4x4). My 19 has a limited slip rest differential so I'm curious if it uses the brakes at all. Maybe on the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DammitDave

Reaction score
I have seen this system on a tractor trailer in the snow going up a hill and it is crazy sic how well it worked.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
It is awesome how well it works in mud and rocks.

Snow, at least off road up a steep hill....it just makes the truck slide back down. Not much you can do on ice.

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
So I've read about this feature a number of times. Someone help my understanding here, I apply gas slowly, with the correct 4wd H and traction off, do I need to apply breakage or does the system sense this and its automatic?

jetrinka

Reaction score
This is how most modern traction control systems are set up. It can individually activate 1 abs solenoid at a time to slow spinning wheels down in hopes of aiding the wheel with traction. It never works well though IMO... End up getting stuck halfway up a snowy hill with the car freaking out trying to figure out what to do. Turn off traction control and let her eat!!!

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
Yes. Go into the throttle slowly. As the wheels start to slip...stay in thr throttle...it will then use the ABS to slow the spinning wheel and send more power to the traction wheel.

Let me know if that makes sense
Yes, thanks. A couple of youtubes later. Is there any reason why the foward collision alert turns off when you deactivate the traction control? I had noticed this earlier in 4wd low.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I haven’t noticed that yet. Kinda strange. Maybe the truck just wants to absolve itself of any responsibility when the driver does such reckless things like turning off the (nanny state) traction control. Bet some lawyer had their grubby mits all over that one

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I had this system on my 5th gen 1500. Works great actually. The main drawback is that it requires a little time to kick in. Meaning you have to be on the throttle for a bit to work. If you ease off the throttle the system will not activate or will shut off if it's on. So you run the risk of digging yourself in a hole in the dirt or carrying too much momentum over an obstacle and damaging something.

Great system though. It's been around on other vehicles a while too.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I had this system on my 5th gen 1500. Works great actually. The main drawback is that it requires a little time to kick in. Meaning you have to be on the throttle for a bit to work. If you ease off the throttle the system will not activate or will shut off if it's on. So you run the risk of digging yourself in a hole in the dirt or carrying too much momentum over an obstacle and damaging something.

Great system though. It's been around on other vehicles a while too.
I was going to tag you. But I lost interest.

Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread