Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluid Film

whitexc

Reaction score
I’m a believer. My 2nd gen was in amazing shape for a snow belt vehicle when I sold it a cple years ago. I get it done annually. How long it lasts depends on the conditions, wash habits etc.

Sent from me

Reactions: jak

ammdrew

Reaction score
I do my own and touchup reapply every 3 years or so. living in the northern part of the US it greatly reduces rust and makes future repairs easier without the corrosion. Only negative is the bottom of the truck is greasy/oily as it is coating you are applying.. but IMO much better then the old method of black rubber undercoating that would just hide the rust under it and fall off with corroding hunks of metal.

Much2fast

Reaction score
I have been using woolwax since I bought my truck, similar to fluid film but thicker and less susceptible to washing off. So far so good

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
When I bought my ‘22 I researched a bunch of DIY undercoating materials. I settled on Amsoil HD MP and have been happy with it. I reapply it annually with my oil/filter changes.

pinco

Reaction score
Another vote for fluid film. Works great, just messy applying with a spray can. Wear clothes that you can trash afterwards if you’re going to do the entire underside.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
Those of you who use it, do you power wash the underside first? I assume so, but just straight water. I'd assume any soap in cracks and joints would reduce the effectiveness.

Lerker

Reaction score
I used to use Fluid Film. Then I started paying a company to apply a similar product.

Then I decided it wasn't worth it. When I add up the expense over the years, I just don't feel like it makes sense.

Instead, I give the underbody a thorough hot water rinse every Spring. Costs almost nothing, and based on what I see, will do a good enough job. If I'm feeling really crazy, I'll hit any problem areas with a bit of rustoleum. Last truck just finished its fourth winter and had nothing concerning. If I'd been applying fluid film every year, that would have been lost money.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
Then I decided it wasn't worth it. When I add up the expense over the years, I just don't feel like it makes sense.

$45 for a gallon, $45 for a Sprayer, $5 for a Tyvek jumpsuit. Call it $60 a year and a few hours. I'm wanting this one to last until I can no longer drive. :)

pinco

Reaction score
Those of you who use it, do you power wash the underside first? I assume so, but just straight water. I'd assume any soap in cracks and joints would reduce the effectiveness.
I did, and let it dry of course. I was starting to see a little bit of rust in various areas of the frame and weld points. Fluid film definitely migrates its way into every crevice. For me, I want 350k miles out of my truck, and still hopefully have original panels, doors, and a solid frame. The diesel engine will make it that long, so it’s worth making the body last as well imo.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
I had it applied for the first time this year before my truck saw salt. I usually keep my vehicles for 8-12 years. The only reason I bought the Powerwagon was my 2009 GMC rusted so badly that I could put my fist through holes in the body and the fenders and bumpers were basically being held on by hopes and dreams. Mechanically, the engine and trans were still rock stars at 170k.

Fluid film seems to have universal praise except for it being quite the mess. I can attest it will stain clothes if you lean into it in a door jam covered in it. My understanding is its an annual application. I would gladly pay $200 annually to have it coated for me in the hope I don't have to watch the truck dissolve like a saltine cracker in soup after it hits the 5-6 year mark.

pinco

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these holes that have tape over them, are supposed to be rubber plugs? Was this a mistake, or are the holes for ventilation? All I know is water/ moisture will get in there and rust out the pillars. I’m going to spray in every hole with fluid film

flan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these holes that have tape over them, are supposed to be rubber plugs? Was this a mistake, or are the holes for ventilation? All I know is water/ moisture will get in there and rust out the pillars. I’m going to spray in every hole with fluid film
Tape is the norm, rubber plugs are available for them though.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Curious where there is tape. I paid to have mine sprayed, but it sounds like this could have been something missed that I should check on mine.

pinco

Reaction score
Every 10” the whole way from fender to fender on both sides just below the bottom of the doors. Typical place for rust in less than 10 years.

pinco

Reaction score
Every 10” the whole way from fender to fender on both sides just below the bottom of the doors. Typical place for rust in less than 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_4564.jpeg
    IMG_4564.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 29

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to climb under there and see if they sprayed in there. I would assume a rubber plug would be the better idea there vs tape if its fluid filmed inside to prevent condensation and rust.

pinco

Reaction score
My older ram had rubber grommets, none on my 2020. The tape is coming off and does nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread