Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flatbed conversion

EODMatt

Reaction score
Anyone done a flatty conversation on their 2019+ 2500 CTD?

AKDoug

Reaction score
I was going to flatbed my '19 3500 Tradesman until I read the fine print on my 8yr./125K Maxcare warranty. It specifically spelled out the bed delete trucks and flatbed equipped trucks weren't eligible for the warranty. I don't know what happens to the standard warranty, though. You do you, I decided against messing with it.

EODMatt

Reaction score
I was going to flatbed my '19 3500 Tradesman until I read the fine print on my 8yr./125K Maxcare warranty. It specifically spelled out the bed delete trucks and flatbed equipped trucks weren't eligible for the warranty. I don't know what happens to the standard warranty, though. You do you, I decided against messing with it.

Very good to know. I’m just putting the feelers out there at this point. I’m also a little concerned with how my California Dmv will handle the registration in that case, I heard there is some commercial fees with a flatbed.

jsalbre

Reaction score
With regards to warranty, they may exclude factory bed deleted trucks, but if you remove your own bed they can (by law) only deny warranty claims on what you removed, and anything they can prove you damaged in the process.

That being said, if you have blind spot monitoring you’ll lose that if you take off the factory tail lights. I’d expect it to throw a code too.

npurdy1112

Reaction score
I would rather buy one sold with a flat bed as new. Many dealers out there in midwest (and im sure everywhere) that sell this way.

TheRAMadaINN

Reaction score
I ordered a 2017 3500 cummins. Registered in ca. Then removed the box and put a flatbed. I didn’t encounter any registration issues.

I have sold that truck and ordered a 2020 3500 cclb, will again remove bed and install highway products flatbed.

jsalbre is right, on both accounts. removal of taillights and your cross path detect/bsm will not work. Can prob disable sales code to remove any error messages on dash. I’m not too concerned with bed removal and warranty issues.

EODMatt

Reaction score
I ordered a 2017 3500 cummins. Registered in ca. Then removed the box and put a flatbed. I didn’t encounter any registration issues.

I have sold that truck and ordered a 2020 3500 cclb, will again remove bed and install highway products flatbed.

jsalbre is right, on both accounts. removal of taillights and your cross path detect/bsm will not work. Can prob disable sales code to remove any error messages on dash. I’m not too concerned with bed removal and warranty issues.

Good to know, thanks. I heard rumblings that in CA with a flatbed that it may change the requirements of the truck to have to stop at scales and pay registration on the vehicle related to its max tow weight etc... the idea being that a flatbed would be a feature related to commerce. Again, this was from an online forum and not an official source such as the California vehicle code or Dmv website. Wanted to get information first hand from someone like yourself that actually had a flatbed in CA.

TheRAMadaINN

Reaction score
I had a camper mounted on my flatbed. I never stopped at the weigh stations, whether i was supposed to or not, i don’t know.

Users who are viewing this thread