Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first tow for my ram 6.7

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I finally had a need to move my travel trailer which is just shy of 8k lbs. I had my truck set up for full exhaust braking, auto level, and tow haul mode. The area of north carolina where I live has many soft rolling hills with plenty of curves. My towing today was done on county roads, no interstates. It was a very nice experience. Between the truck and trailer brakes, coming to a stop was also a pleasant experience with no surprises. I used to pull the same trailer with a 2019 1500 ram 4x4 crewcab laramie 3.21 gears with the 5.7 and 8 speed transmission. That drive train was willing but the half ton truck did not have the suspension for towing. Drove like a cadillac and that was the downfall. Sure I added stuff to make it a better tow vehicle, but it was definitely designed with comfort in mind. Back to my 2500, I wanted to buy something that I could use to tow any kind of bumper pull trailer that I might ever want to tow. With this 2500, 3.73 gear crew cab 4x4 laramie cummins, I definitely have more power than I would ever need, specially with this trailer. The truck never left 6th gear unless i was coming to a stop. The truck downshifted nicely without any harsh transmission shifting until I came to a full stop. I had plenty of power available for acceleration and could have accelerated much quicker if I would have wanted to. But I did not think it necessary. I am sure another 1k of gear and climbing the mountains out in west North Carolina will require a little more rpms, but I am confident I will never be lacking in power on those trips. Very happy with my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread