Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow: 2021 Ram 2500

raven_dt

Reaction score
First leg thru I24 and down I75 to North GA, 165miles. EVIC indicated 9.2mpg...Hand calculated 7.2mpg

Truck stayed pretty much in 6th, 2450rpm at 65mph. It's definately working harder to pull our Flagstaff 25BRDS.
...And have a TPMS light* that came on but tires are all inflated to proper specs. Hoping it would reset this morning but no luck. Picking up the new heavier and longer camper today so expecting a sharp *increase* in mpg on the way home...

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
So you ended up trading in the 25BRDS after all. What year was it and what kind of offer did you get for it? Considering doing the same with ours.

Reactions: RMH

raven_dt

Reaction score
So you ended up trading in the 25BRDS after all. What year was it and what kind of offer did you get for it? Considering doing the same with ours.
We had a 2020, got 25k on trade in. We liked that little camper, it was easier to navigate gas islands.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
We had a 2020, got 25k on trade in. We liked that little camper, it was easier to navigate gas islands.
Ours is a 2019, realized it was too small after a couple of trips. Looks roomy, until it’s loaded up.

Where did you trade in at?

Also, what is the new camper? And how’s the truck handling it?

raven_dt

Reaction score
Leg 5: 200miles 8.3mpg hand calculated, all I75
Leg 6: 160miles, 7.3mpg I75N
The 8HP75 is absolutely a gem of a transmission. Good grade shifting too, 4.5 miles down I24 Monteagle (6% grade) with no issue holding speed.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Leg 7: 206miles; 8.3mpg hand calc.
Leg 8: 117.9 miles, 7.3mpg hand calc, I75, 65mph, 7.2k TT thru Atlanta
Leg 9: 82.8 miles; slight wind, I75N to I24, 7.5mpg
Not bad, need a larger fuel tank. Range is an issue.

Paul Edwards

Reaction score
Leg 7: 206miles; 8.3mpg hand calc.
Leg 8: 117.9 miles, 7.3mpg hand calc, I75, 65mph, 7.2k TT thru Atlanta
Leg 9: 82.8 miles; slight wind, I75N to I24, 7.5mpg
Not bad, need a larger fuel tank. Range is an issue.
Just read your post, glad your new 2500 pleases you. What hitch setup do you have and did you experience any sway issues with the 2500 coil suspension? We just completed trip from VA to Hilton Head Island area mostly along I95. Did okay with my 2500 CCSB Tradesman, but did have to watch for sway until I filled front-half fresh water tank that help stabilize me some.

raven_dt

Reaction score
Just read your post, glad your new 2500 pleases you. What hitch setup do you have and did you experience any sway issues with the 2500 coil suspension? We just completed trip from VA to Hilton Head Island area mostly along I95. Did okay with my 2500 CCSB Tradesman, but did have to watch for sway until I filled front-half fresh water tank that help stabilize me some.
We use a 14k equilizer wdh. Minimal sway, usual semi truck suck and push on the interstate but not too bad. We travel with the fresh tank less than 1/3 full for bathroom breaks, if needed. The truck stayed in 6th and 7th for most of the trip at 65mph.

Ron045

Reaction score
Took my first long trip recently and experienced similar outcomes. I tow a 6K 23IKSS.
The thing is a gear hunter. Mostly 5,6,7 but did some 4's in the mountains. Agree that 6 seemed common on level grades.
Performance wise it's awesome. I was towing with a Lincoln Navigator before the RAM. I liked it but was on the ragged edge of cargo capacity.
I did not feel the camper push me at all in this truck. Even the big rig truck sway was reduced. Don't know if that was due to a 2500 or the lane assist kicking in.

My mpgs at combined we're 8.1. I spent most of the day using adaptive cruise at 66. In MD and Roanoke we hit 60 mpg zones. I reset trip 2 and ran numbers. At 60 mph a could get 11.1 mpg. I was going to try 60 for a while, but we were on 70 mph roads and I did not want to be a Hazzard at 10 under.
Ron

Paul Edwards

Reaction score
We pull approx 10k TT with our 22 2500 HD using 14K Equalizer wdh (dealer ship measured tongue weight with fresh water tank empty at 1250 lbs--brochure said about 1115 lbs! Initially was set up with BlueOx Sway Pro but could never get good stability above 50-55) Have enjoyed how the 2500 does on flat roads, mild hills only so far. Great braking too with integrated braker controller. Feel much more in control than with prior 1/2T Tundra (had to use on new TT til RAM 2500 was finally delivered March 26). Our trip down to HHI was white knuckler. Return trip was better with more weight up front. Been reading threads on the Firestone Transforce HTs and am wondering if part of my problem with sway has been the tires. Occasionally even a car would play with me. Drove about 55-60 down to HHI and was able to drive about 60-65 on return trip. Avg mpg for both ways was about 8.3. Fair amount of wind both ways too. Prior combo was 07 5.7L Tundra with 36' TT of 9000lbs with 10K Equalizer wdh and seldom ever had sway problems at 65. Tundra had leaf springs though, have wondered if the 2500 HD coils are up to the task? Not yet brave enough to travel I81 thru valley to TN. Hoping to solve sway first. Too many semis.

raven_dt

Reaction score
We pull approx 10k TT with our 22 2500 HD using 14K Equalizer wdh (dealer ship measured tongue weight with fresh water tank empty at 1250 lbs--brochure said about 1115 lbs! Initially was set up with BlueOx Sway Pro but could never get good stability above 50-55) Have enjoyed how the 2500 does on flat roads, mild hills only so far. Great braking too with integrated braker controller. Feel much more in control than with prior 1/2T Tundra (had to use on new TT til RAM 2500 was finally delivered March 26). Our trip down to HHI was white knuckler. Return trip was better with more weight up front. Been reading threads on the Firestone Transforce HTs and am wondering if part of my problem with sway has been the tires. Occasionally even a car would play with me. Drove about 55-60 down to HHI and was able to drive about 60-65 on return trip. Avg mpg for both ways was about 8.3. Fair amount of wind both ways too. Prior combo was 07 5.7L Tundra with 36' TT of 9000lbs with 10K Equalizer wdh and seldom ever had sway problems at 65. Tundra had leaf springs though, have wondered if the 2500 HD coils are up to the task? Not yet brave enough to travel I81 thru valley to TN. Hoping to solve sway first. Too many semis.
We pulled I81 from just outside of Knoxville TN thru Binghamton NY last July. There are a lot of semis on I81. Was glad to get off I81 on the way back home. Accidents, traffic, semis, stopped traffic...it was a mess. We pulled our 25BDRS with a Superduty.

Ron045

Reaction score
We pulled I81 from just outside of Knoxville TN thru Binghamton NY last July. There are a lot of semis on I81. Was glad to get off I81 on the way back home. Accidents, traffic, semis, stopped traffic...it was a mess. We pulled our 25BDRS with a Superduty.
While I whole heartedly agree I81 is no picnic, I'd take that any day to go south over I95 and the NASCAR drivers on that route.

Firebird

Reaction score
While I whole heartedly agree I81 is no picnic, I'd take that any day to go south over I95 and the NASCAR drivers on that route.
Agreed, I would take 81 over 95 any day!

Razzman

Reaction score
Our truck has 12,800 (roughly) miles on it now, 8K of that has been towing our Nash 23D (28' overall) over the Sierras at least six times at 7K feet over I80, plus I40, I15, I10, I5 and numerous smaller roads over five states so far. Just wrapped up a 2,410 mile trip last week and I'll say I've never been on a busier freeway with trucks than I40 through Arizona, truckers own that road and blast along at an average of 75mph. Since I tow around 65 I was getting passed by every one of them. I too have the Equalizer E4 (14K) and I experience very little movement of the trailer. Yeah there's a little trailer suck when the trucks blast by but that too is minimal. The trick I've found is setting up that hitch exactly like EQ says to with their new method. I did it when we got this truck and it's like a new trailer versus the dealer setting it up on the old one. Had to redo it when I went to a taller tire , coil springs or not it makes a huge difference. My only complaint is there is a bit of pogo when over some joints or bumps. I might add air bags and Daystar cradles to stop that.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Our truck has 12,800 (roughly) miles on it now, 8K of that has been towing our Nash 23D (28' overall) over the Sierras at least six times at 7K feet over I80, plus I40, I15, I10, I5 and numerous smaller roads over five states so far. Just wrapped up a 2,410 mile trip last week and I'll say I've never been on a busier freeway with trucks than I40 through Arizona, truckers own that road and blast along at an average of 75mph. Since I tow around 65 I was getting passed by every one of them. I too have the Equalizer E4 (14K) and I experience very little movement of the trailer. Yeah there's a little trailer suck when the trucks blast by but that too is minimal. The trick I've found is setting up that hitch exactly like EQ says to with their new method. I did it when we got this truck and it's like a new trailer versus the dealer setting it up on the old one. Had to redo it when I went to a taller tire , coil springs or not it makes a huge difference. My only complaint is there is a bit of pogo when over some joints or bumps. I might add air bags and Daystar cradles to stop that.
Pogo is too much rebound. I take it it's the factory suspension and not adjustable

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
I brought my Aspen Trail 2340BHSWE home today from 6 months of warranty work, but that was fine, i Didnt have to store an they kept it charged. Still have a floor repair, but figure Dutchmen will screw me, but KNEW what I was getting into so just waiting... but it doesn't stop me from camping. So I gotta lower the WDH 2 inches from the 1500 set up, that's good. But even bringing it home 2 Inches high 50 miles, light on the front end...a bit, the 2500 vs the 1500 was night and day. I feel like the truck is in charge, not the trailer. The Trailer (Aspen Trailer 2340BHSWE/7K TOTAL, 800 tongue, loaded) is well below rated for my Laramie.

I had a 1500 at max payload and 1400 below total, and it was...adequate. this is totally different...in a good way. The truck was like, oh, this nice. No stress, no muss, finally doing what I was made for, but not busting a gut. So much nicer...

Users who are viewing this thread