Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil/Filter change. What were they thinking?

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Ok I work for FCA or Stellantis or whatever were called at the moment, they did some things right and some wrong. The drain plug with the 3/8ths square hole is nice. I did replace with a valve but that was a good idea. The oil filter though, I am going in tomorrow and find the genius who decided where to put that and have a chat with him. I know it might be cummins but I would think they talked to each other and thought that getting it through the wheel on the right side was a great idea? Very stupid if you ask me and just my opinion. I have the cap because I read up on it before doing it, and that is the dumbest spot to put that I have ever seen. I just traded a F350 with 180 thousand and did a lot of oil changes, the filter is nice and easy to get at. Ram could have done a much better job with this. Ok I am done ranting, thank you for reading.

D

Deleted member 80

Mother Mopar could have devised an access panel with some Dzus fasteners in the fender liner to ease access, and to be able to see the mounting pad.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Mother Mopar could have devised an access panel with some Dzus fasteners in the fender liner to ease access, and to be able to see the mounting pad.
Agreed! Hand upside and not being able to see really sucks. I did fill the filter with fresh oil but I don't know that I will do that again.

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Geno’s Garage , who specializes in Cummins parts and tools has a solution to correct this issue. It works great as well. !!
bbce21636dc858afd05347626133ae82.jpg

I
f21343f19d9b747f6928b806e6d2d0d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichM752

Reaction score
I bought the cap from Geno's after the first oil change. Never looked back.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I just do it over cardboard, when done back it out hose everything off and leave there for couple hours to drip any excess. Agreed better places but seen far worse!

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
After 6yrs at a Stealerships lube rack I'm pretty happy with the Cummins OF location. There are numerous vehicles that are way worse than the Ram CTD.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with the filter location. Easier than lots of other vehicles out there, for sure.

red

Reaction score
I find the Cummins filter easier to get off/on than the filter on my previous '13 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. That filter was above the electric power steering rack and was a real PITA.
I use a tool like the one pictured above from Geno's, no mess at all.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I’ll pile on. Had a Dodge nitro V6 and you had to snap your arm off and glue it back onto your elbow bass-ackwards toget to that filter! :eek:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 19 is much nicer to change the filter vs my 01 or 05 cummins

LossPrev

Reaction score
I also don't really have amy problem with the cummins oil change, provided you have the filter tool. Once you drop the filter it rests nicely on something, put the filter cap tool on and boom done. Clean cap tool well and use it to insert new filter filled with clean oil.

Like someone else said, way easier to do then my '15 and '19 1500 hemis. While I can see the hemi filter from the ground better, it is impossible to get it in or out without spilling oil everywhere. The offroad skid plate also likes to collect a lot of oil for me :-/

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I also don't really have amy problem with the cummins oil change, provided you have the filter tool. Once you drop the filter it rests nicely on something, put the filter cap tool on and boom done. Clean cap tool well and use it to insert new filter filled with clean oil.

Like someone else said, way easier to do then my '15 and '19 1500 hemis. While I can see the hemi filter from the ground better, it is impossible to get it in or out without spilling oil everywhere. The offroad skid plate also likes to collect a lot of oil for me :-/
Dont even need the cap i just grab it blocking the hole with my hand when i pull it out of the fender

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
I find the Cummins filter easier to get off/on than the filter on my previous '13 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. That filter was above the electric power steering rack and was a real PITA.
I use a tool like the one pictured above from Geno's, no mess at all.
FYI. It's location hasn't changed for 5th gens, and it still dumps oil all over the rack.
I find the 6.4 much easier to change the filter while laying on the ground than the 1500 5.7. It's also nice that you can see the end of the filter so you know when you've hit the 3/4 turn.

I had a 92 Dakota v6 a long time ago...the only way to get the filter out was to just turn it over and dump it out. Then snake it forward between the frame rail, block, and the hot header...Don't miss that job. I can't imagine the v8's were any different.

just James

Reaction score
The little woman and I have a couple of Fiat 500's for commuter rigs. Great little cars that get fantastic fuel mileage, but changing the oil in them is a messy job. There is a small cross member right where the oil drains out of the pan. No reason that cross member couldn't have been a few inches forward or back of where it is located. You almost have to be a skinny contortionist to get your arm down in front of the engine to get the filter out. If the engineers had moved a couple of items even a quarter of an inch, it would be a simple job.
Almost makes me think that they do it on purpose so people will take it to the dealer to get it serviced.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
take the intake tube off..slide a gallon freezer bag up from the btm..unscrew it...lift it out..dont spill a drop and all from the top..cant believe you guys have an issue with this..eaier than the hemi in a 1500 by far..geez it wont change itself....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
take the intake tube off..slide a gallon freezer bag up from the btm..unscrew it...lift it out..dont spill a drop and all from the top..cant believe you guys have an issue with this..eaier than the hemi in a 1500 by far..geez it wont change itself....
There are far worse out there, ford escape with the eco boost you have to drop a belly pan then snake the filter through the fan over the ac lines while its pouring out everywhere lol

Users who are viewing this thread