Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change

dstonic

Reaction score
2021 Ram 3500 6.7 OH Mega dually....has 6100 miles today and I'm told 60% of oil life remains on the read out. Supposedly it has synth. oil.....I'm old school and believe and do change oil and filters in my gas engines @2500 miles. What are you guys doing as for oil changes on your diesels?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
12 months or oil life indicator.

I know the 12 months myth has been pretty much dispelled, but I'm sticking with it. Mine gets fresh oil going into the summer towing season.

P.S. make sure you're using the right oil. The new engine MUST NOT have 15W-40 used in it.

dstonic

Reaction score

I know the 12 months myth has been pretty much dispelled, but I'm sticking with it. Mine gets fresh oil going into the summer towing season.

P.S. make sure you're using the right oil. The new engine MUST NOT have 15W-40 used in it.
What is the best brand or (what most on the forum) synthetic oil for our diesels?

MtnRider

Reaction score
15k Oil and fuel filter changes (per the manual) since day 1 and not a mile sooner (I do more then 15k in 12 months). It's not 1970 any more... Oil analysis has shown the oil is still more then good to go at that interval.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My preference is Rotella T6 just because that's what I've run in my diesels.

Valvoline Blue is popular as is Delo, Redline, and Amsoil.

MtnRider is on track that with oil analysis you can extend service intervals.

After watching a PF video on oils, I'll stick with Rotella. However, contrary to his findings, I'm still sticking with 12 months changes for oil AND FUEL because that's what works for me in more ways than just the health of the oil.

fourbybud

Reaction score
So nobody does the first change early? I know we technically don't have to but my OCD wont let me skip past 500-1000mi on a new engine.

RamItHome

Reaction score
I did my first at 2500. Always have with new engines. Just my piece of mind on changing early on break in.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I did my first change at 2500 as well. More so piece of mind and I was able to switch it to Rotella in the process. New OEM filter too.

fourbybud

Reaction score
I'm at 400mi. Getting ready for a 2800mi trip. It's getting changed before we leave.

Firebird

Reaction score
My gas engines have always been changed out by 1000 miles, but have never done that with my diesels.

Riddick

Reaction score
The manufacturing process of engines has come along way over the years. They are able to nail exact tolerances for mass produced engines which basically eliminates any required break in. Basically, every part is machined to such a tight clearance the only break in required is for rings which happens in the first few minutes of starting an engine.

If it makes you feel better to change your oil early then by all means do it. In this day and age early oil changes are not required. If anything I would change the filter early, if there any is any foreign material in the oil it will be trapped in the filter. Also, you have to consider the amount of oil these engines hold, it takes along time to break down 12 quarts of oil.

2001WS6

Reaction score
I did my first at 1500. Probably over doing it but its piece of mind. :cool:

CdnHO

Reaction score
Changed mine at 2500 a couple of weeks ago. Mainly because I will be going on a long distance tow and figured I would pull out with fresh oil. Rotella T6, 5W40.

Firebird

Reaction score
I finally found some oil today, had to hit 3 locations to find enough

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You're not supposed to change the oil too early in a Cummins.

They need 20-30K just to "finish" the cylinder/ring seat depending on how hard you work them. There's really no break in like an old gasser.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old

thread here but why should it not get 15w-40? Looking at my first oil change and finding info about these trucks is like sifting through sewage….everyone has an opinion and they all think there’s doesn’t stink.

baker01

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread