Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil and fuel filter change

Reaction score
I did my first oil and fuel filter change this morning and I have to say it was pretty easy. 14,385 miles and I had 4% left on oil filter and 3% left on fuel filters. My local dealer wanted $400 plus tax for the entire service and I bought all Mopar filters and 3- 1GAL jugs of Rotella T6 from Amazon for $173. I also bought the tool that you screw on top of the oil filter so you can turn it sideways without dumping oil all over the place. I can't recommend that tool enough. I guess the tech at the plant that installed the oil filter didn't want it to vibrate loose or anything because it was on there tighter than a SOB. Took quite a few short turns with a strap wrench to get it loose. I was surprised at how good the fuel filters looked. I've seen some posts on here of filters that are almost black. I even made a mistake a few weeks back going through my local diesel station. All the pumps were full except the one that is furthest from the store so I pulled up and filled up my truck. As the pump went to shut off I noticed it was foaming red. Sure enough, it was off-road dyed fuel. I looked at the pump and there was a sticker about 3"X4" at the very bottom that said off road use only. Could barely see it. It was only .10 / gal difference so it saved me a whopping $1.50 since I was about 1/2 tank.

Anyways, dont be afraid to do the service yourself. Im certainly not a tightwad but I cant see throwing over $200 away to have someone else do something that took me less than an hour.
IMG_1870.jpg

flan

Reaction score
My filters looked the same.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
I did my first oil and fuel filter change this morning and I have to say it was pretty easy. 14,385 miles and I had 4% left on oil filter and 3% left on fuel filters. My local dealer wanted $400 plus tax for the entire service and I bought all Mopar filters and 3- 1GAL jugs of Rotella T6 from Amazon for $173. I also bought the tool that you screw on top of the oil filter so you can turn it sideways without dumping oil all over the place. I can't recommend that tool enough. I guess the tech at the plant that installed the oil filter didn't want it to vibrate loose or anything because it was on there tighter than a SOB. Took quite a few short turns with a strap wrench to get it loose. I was surprised at how good the fuel filters looked. I've seen some posts on here of filters that are almost black. I even made a mistake a few weeks back going through my local diesel station. All the pumps were full except the one that is furthest from the store so I pulled up and filled up my truck. As the pump went to shut off I noticed it was foaming red. Sure enough, it was off-road dyed fuel. I looked at the pump and there was a sticker about 3"X4" at the very bottom that said off road use only. Could barely see it. It was only .10 / gal difference so it saved me a whopping $1.50 since I was about 1/2 tank.

Anyways, dont be afraid to do the service yourself. Im certainly not a tightwad but I cant see throwing over $200 away to have someone else do something that took me less than an hour.
View attachment 8819
Why so much for the oil? Wal-Mart has the 5-40 Syn. Rotella for around $25.00 for the 4 quart container. Fram filter for $10.00. I did buy two of the oil filter plugs for $16.00. They are handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Why so much for the oil? Wal-Mart has the 5-40 Syn. Rotella for around $25.00 for the 4 quart container. Fram filter for $10.00. I did buy two of the oil filter plugs for $16.00. They are handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Did you just say FRAM filter?

OMG, please don't put a Fram filter on your engine, any engine, but especially a Cummins. Worst garbage oil filter there is.

MOPAR or Fleetguard Stratapore. Period. WIX Baldwin or NAPA Gold in a pinch.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Walmart in my area sells the mopar/Cummins filter too. I think it’s around 13$
Fram sells different quality filters. Wal-Mart has gone to using a Corr designation filter in their oil changes. It is literally a $.50 filter from China. I have used the top quality Fram for 50 years off the shelf and never had an oil related engine failure. When I found out about the “Corr” thing I quit using them. I use a local NAPA shop who will furnish labor and a NAPA filter for $25.00 if I bring my own oil. At 72 years old it now seems like a bargain to me. I only use synthetic oil in my vehicles. Prolly will let NAPA do my next Cummins change especially with cold and wet weather coming on.

flan

Reaction score
Ya I’m pretty sure the mopar filter they sell is the same mopar filter you would get at the dealer. Same model number and packaging at least.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so we can use non synthetic dinosaur oil.... I prefer delvac 1300...not synthetic...

can someone post part numbers for the oem cummins filter and the oem fuel filters?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Did you just say FRAM filter?

OMG, please don't put a Fram filter on your engine, any engine, but especially a Cummins. Worst garbage oil filter there is.

MOPAR or Fleetguard Stratapore. Period. WIX Baldwin or NAPA Gold in a pinch.
Wix makes the mopar filters or atleast used to

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
so we can use non synthetic dinosaur oil.... I prefer delvac 1300...not synthetic...

can someone post part numbers for the oem cummins filter and the oem fuel filters?
Only 10w30 can be non syn it calls for 5w-40 syn in the manual for colder climates

Users who are viewing this thread