Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Long Trip with Camper

Frank

Reaction score
Just finished our first decent length trip hauling a TT since buying in September. 300 miles of Missouri and Arkansas highlands, mix of freeway and winding mountain roads, plenty of steep grades though none really long like the Rockies. 2500 CTD, 7,000 lbs loaded 33 1/2 ft trailer, Reese Pro Series WDH. We hit heavy rainstorms on the way down and 25 mph winds on the way back. Can't believe how well this towed, we would not have made it in the 1500 we upgraded from. The reason we bought this truck was lack of confidence towing out West and it did not disappoint. Even through traffic in NWA the trans temp didn't flinch. Ready to look at Yellowstone as soon as the Covid campers find another hobby.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My 2013 RAM 2500 CTD was also a daily driver for me. Towing my 33 ft 5th wheel toyhauler with that truck was still great and I was within 300 pounds of axle max. And knowing we will be getting a newer toyhauler, and probaly 2000-3000heavier, I bought a 3500 dually CTD so if we find one we will not be limited by my truck.

I could not stand the gas engines towing at 3000+ RPM, even though I know it is within design specs.

Frank

Reaction score
My 2013 RAM 2500 CTD was also a daily driver for me. Towing my 33 ft 5th wheel toyhauler with that truck was still great and I was within 300 pounds of axle max. And knowing we will be getting a newer toyhauler, and probaly 2000-3000heavier, I bought a 3500 dually CTD so if we find one we will not be limited by my truck.

I could not stand the gas engines towing at 3000+ RPM, even though I know it is within design specs.
The 5.7L in my 2019 1500 pulled alright, the trans was more of an issue. The motor gave you some when you needed it in traffic but trans temps would spike higher than I like in something thats not a rental. Within spec but not going to last very long doing it often. And the tail tended to wag the dog above 10 mph winds.

Chris.Gio

Reaction score
Curious why the WD set-up on a HD truck with “only” 7k trailer. I was not planning on such a set up but open to feedback...

Frank

Reaction score
Curious why the WD set-up on a HD truck with “only” 7k trailer. I was not planning on such a set up but open to feedback...

Because it tows better, safer, and more comfortably. You might not notice a difference on city streets, but at highway speed it knocks the rough spots down. Less sway, more responsive, doesn't bounce all over the place if you hit a pothole. It cleans up some of the cons of pulling a TT vs a 5er and overcomes some of the limitations of a ball mount being the only contact between truck and trailer. Besides, you are into your truck and camper for at least $100k at this point. $500 is drop in the bucket and more bang for your buck than most accessories people are adding.

flan

Reaction score
Sway on windy days and when passing a TT goes way down, or eliminated totally as well. I towed 7k for a year without my equalizer hitch that was enough. Bought one and never looked back.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I dont run one unless im past the 1250 tongue weight max without a wdh

raggdoll

Reaction score
The 5.7L in my 2019 1500 pulled alright, the trans was more of an issue. The motor gave you some when you needed it in traffic but trans temps would spike higher than I like in something thats not a rental. Within spec but not going to last very long doing it often. And the tail tended to wag the dog above 10 mph winds.
Same here, my 18 Sport 5.7 pulled ok (8500#) but always at higher RPM's and in lower gears so the truck seemed to "work" almost all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread