Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First long trip 2500 hemi

kevin588127

Reaction score
We just got back from our first long trip with our new toy hauler and I'm very impressed with this truck. I took delivery of the truck last August and had only done 200 mile trips with a toy hauler that we had outgrown and planned on replacing. Over the winter we purchased a puma 27TSB that is more in line with our current needs. On paper it was a great fit for this truck, but due to Iowa weather, we couldn't find out until last weekend.

The puma weighed in at 10k and 1400lbs on the ball. This was loaded with a SXS and all our gear for a long weekend of trail riding. We left from NW Iowa, through Missouri and ended up in Ozark Arkansas. It was 500 miles one way with near perfect weather.

I was pretty nervous to set out on a long trip with a completely new hauler but this setup made the whole trip with no drama at all. My worst tank of fuel was 7 mpg and best was 9 mpg with most of them being in the 8 mpg range. Hand calcs came in pretty close to the EVIC every time. Surprisingly, my best mileage was in the hills of Arkansas. The worst was in the flat lands of Iowa.

Take aways from the trip:
The trailer camera/digital rearview mirror is my new favorite option.

The trailer TPMS is great and I wish I would have ordered it from the factory. Thanks to some members here, I was able to add it myself a few weeks before the trip.

Ramboxes have storage for days. Still one of my favorite options.

I HATE the 31 gallon tank. Come on ram, give the short beds a 40 gallon tank. At 200 miles I had to be looking for fuel.

The biggest downside to owning a gasser is finding gas stations that can accommodate a 56' rig at the gas pumps. I carried 5 gallons in the bed and had to use it once to get us farther from a city to a less congested truck stop.

One of the biggest surprises was that this truck is capable of gaining speed on some pretty decent grades without feeling like it's going to spit engine parts all over the pavement. I love the hemi 8 speed 4.10 combo so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_174447717.jpg
    IMG_20230406_174447717.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 31

jebruns

Reaction score
I49 in Arkansas from Fayetteville to Alma is a pretty good test of pulling power, especially the pull up to the tunnel. I pull through there pretty often. Glad it worked well for you.

kevin588127

Reaction score
I49 in Arkansas from Fayetteville to Alma is a pretty good test of pulling power, especially the pull up to the tunnel. I pull through there pretty often. Glad it worked well for you.
Yep, we ran that. Ran 70ish mph through most of it. Side note: do not attempt to get gasoline anywhere near Fayetteville if pulling a trailer. The off ramps were a sh*tshow. Fayetteville is where I had to use my reserve fuel

jebruns

Reaction score
Yeah, I live up in Rogers. Lots of good options for fuel on many of the exits there or in Springdale.

Users who are viewing this thread