Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone Transforce AT2

79 300

Reaction score
I just got my new 2024 Ram 2500 with the Snow Chief package. It came with the Firestone Transforce AT2 tires, 275-70-R18. Every other Ram 2500 (probably 20 or so) at the dealer has the original style Transforce AT tires, not the AT2. I even looked online at new Rams and only 3 out of 100 or so have the Transforce AT2 tires on them.

I know the reviews of the Transforce AT's are poor but I haven't heard much about the AT2 version.
PXL_20240307_180826840.jpg
Is Ram making the switch to the newer AT2's or did I get some type of unicorn?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'd assume they're changing over as they run out of stock of the old ones. That looks to have a slightly more aggressive sidewall than the old AT. Who knows if it's actually any better though.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Ram needs to get a clue and run something like the Falken Wildpeak AT’s that came stock on my wife’s Gladiator.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Firestone Destination X/T and what is your opinion of them?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Beautiful truck, love the chrome.

Those tires are awful, get some wild peaks. I hate how the manufacturers put the white letters out....tread is way to tame for a "snow package"

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Those tires are awful, get some wild peaks. I hate how the manufacturers put the white letters out....tread is way to tame for a "snow package"

You have experience with the AT2’s?

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
You have experience with the AT2’s?
I’ve had the original Ats not a fan. I’ve seen the At2 and they just look like a newer version of the old AT. Lots of mixed reviews online. A buddy who owns a tire shop said they are junk. Firestone has too many issues compared to other quality tire companies.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
I just put a fresh set of the original Transforce AT’s on my truck. I wanted to run those new AT2 tires but they didn’t have my original 285/60r20 available in it. I hope you like them, I know I like mine, especially the white letters out since mine has all back wheels.

Riddick

Reaction score
There's only one way to find out, take your truck through some snow or mud. The tread design looks very similar to the original AT design, the sidewall is different but I don't think that will make much of a difference. On pavement the AT tires are great for me, smooth and very quiet. However, if you put them on anything but a paved road they are the worst tire I have ever experienced. I recently had to park in someone's wet front yard and these tires had 0 traction, I literally had to put the truck in 4wd to move and even then I barely had traction... made a HUGE mess. I also once attempted to pull a trailer down a clay based wet dirt road and I felt like the truck was on ice. FWIW, my tires have 15k miles and a good amount of visible tread.

I'm a cheap stubborn mofo and refuse to buy new tires until these wear out. However, if anyone is considering upgrading from these tires I highly recommend it doing it sooner vs. later.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
stock ram 3500s without snow package- I wonder what they come with right now..

79 300

Reaction score

Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I am hoping these AT2's are somewhat improved over the older AT's. They do have grooves running to the outside where the old AT's were solid, which could cause hydroplaning and snow buildup.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
There's only one way to find out, take your truck through some snow or mud. The tread design looks very similar to the original AT design, the sidewall is different but I don't think that will make much of a difference. On pavement the AT tires are great for me, smooth and very quiet. However, if you put them on anything but a paved road they are the worst tire I have ever experienced. I recently had to park in someone's wet front yard and these tires had 0 traction, I literally had to put the truck in 4wd to move and even then I barely had traction... made a HUGE mess. I also once attempted to pull a trailer down a clay based wet dirt road and I felt like the truck was on ice. FWIW, my tires have 15k miles and a good amount of visible tread.

I'm a cheap stubborn mofo and refuse to buy new tires until these wear out. However, if anyone is considering upgrading from these tires I highly recommend it doing it sooner vs. later.
That’s no kidding, they are terrible on mud, but ok on snow. But there isn’t a chance you will find my truck touching mud haha. And we don’t get much snow.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s no kidding, they are terrible on mud, but ok on snow. But there isn’t a chance you will find my truck touching mud haha. And we don’t get much snow.

Ok and snow shouldn’t be in the same sentence with trashforce AT’s. They are horrible in the snow, and worse on ice. The Transhforce HT’s are actually better in both, but still crap.

Vdrsnk

Reaction score
Ok and snow shouldn’t be in the same sentence with trashforce AT’s. They are horrible in the snow, and worse on ice. The Transhforce HT’s are actually better in both, but still crap.
Definitely agree. But, why would a person buy a tire that performs better in a condition that exists in less than 10% of the time it’s used? If a persons truck spends 90% of its time on pavement, putting a Falken AT3w for example on that are heavier, worse fuel mileage and much louder wouldn’t make sense. What makes sense is installing a tire that matches the use of the vehicle. But the reality is most people don’t buy a tire that matches their intended use.

unclelala

Reaction score
Definitely agree. But, why would a person buy a tire that performs better in a condition that exists in less than 10% of the time it’s used? If a persons truck spends 90% of its time on pavement, putting a Falken AT3w for example on that are heavier, worse fuel mileage and much louder wouldn’t make sense. What makes sense is installing a tire that matches the use of the vehicle. But the reality is most people don’t buy a tire that matches their intended use.
I would use the Firestones for a work truck but from what I know now from having them on my truck for 15,000 K I wouldn't put my family in the truck with them.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Absolutely buy tires for how you use the truck. The safety factor for the lower percentage of use is also a big factor, and that safety factor doesn’t exists with the Trashforce even when aired down to the proper pressure. At placard pressure they are a summer tire when empty.

I spend a lot of time on the pavement, but those aren’t the miles I buy tires for. I don’t care if only the minority my miles are on dirt/snow/ice or in 4wd. It’s the performance during those times that matter.

So far I haven’t experienced measurably worse mileage or louder road noise from my Duratrac’s that have 1500 miles on them, but I have had big smiles on snow/ice where in 2wd they out perform the trashforce in 4wd.

Users who are viewing this thread