Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone Transforce AT Tires Are Useless

Chris1911

Reaction score
Mine came with Transforce HTs that i pulled off after 1500 miles and sold for $500. I went with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 3 (275/70/18) and so far, they have been great.

traildude

Reaction score
Fernelius In Cheboygan Michigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mus99gt

Reaction score
I just upgraded to Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 296/65/20. Discount tire gave me $280 in credit for the Firestones which had 7296 miles on them. Plus I have a 2019 Challenger and they rotated & balanced for free as part of the deal.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
20200930_163146.jpg20200930_163127.jpg

Lol these tires are hot garbage. Slight incline driveway. Rolled the steers back against the curb and gave it like 10% throttle and it was like driving on glass. Put more rubber down in a slight spin than John Force.

More reason the 4x4 Off Road sticker was so cheesy. With these racing slicks?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 7648View attachment 7649

Lol these tires are hot garbage. Slight incline driveway. Rolled the steers back against the curb and gave it like 10% throttle and it was like driving on glass. Put more rubber down in a slight spin than John Force.

More reason the 4x4 Off Road sticker was so cheesy. With these racing slicks?

My CTD trucks have all done that when unladen regardless of tire because Physics.

Trooper

Reaction score
My CTD trucks have all done that when unladen regardless of tire because Physics.
does this mean physics made you adjust anything on the set up to avoid it? if so may solve my tire wear issue that appears as bad toe but meets spec

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
does this mean physics made you adjust anything on the set up to avoid it? if so may solve my tire wear issue that appears as bad toe but meets spec

Yes, I don't stop with my front tires in the curb cutout. We have sharp/steep curbing on our drive apron, kinda like um, a wheel chock.

Not saying the TF tires are great, and I replaced mine at 500 miles, but smoking rear tires backing up an incline in 2WD with the front tires in a trench doesn't prove anything.

Ruffone

Reaction score
Yes, I don't stop with my front tires in the curb cutout. We have sharp/steep curbing on our drive apron, kinda like um, a wheel chock.

Not saying the TF tires are great, and I replaced mine at 500 miles, but smoking rear tires backing up an incline in 2WD with the front tires in a trench doesn't prove anything.
It proves one thing, they aren’t all terrain like they are labeled and they’re garbage. It still baffles me how they thought labeling a tire which has not a bit of aggressive tread on it nor any side lugs as an “AT” tire was a great marketing ploy. It would be interesting to find out how many of these tires they actually sell besides the ones used as OEMs? I know, you will always have that small group that will replace these with the same tires once they wear out since they are OEMs... but who would literally look at these tires and think this is a great “AT”, tire lets get a set

Reactions: @JC

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
When I picked up my 2500 early this year, the first thing I did was replace the Firestone Transjunks. Ended up going with Continental Terrainecontact A/T's. I now have just over 7 thousand miles on them and really love them. Very secure on the road towing my 9k 30' TT. Forded some very flooded areas in Pennsylvania in Aug. Climbed some steep dirt and gravel roads in the Smokeys last month. The Continental's had a strong grip in all situations. The other tire I was considering was the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's. Heard a lot of great things about those. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
It proves one thing, they aren’t all terrain like they are labeled and they’re garbage. It still baffles me how they thought labeling a tire which has not a bit of aggressive tread on it nor any side lugs as an “AT” tire was a great marketing ploy. It would be interesting to find out how many of these tires they actually sell besides the ones used as OEMs? I know, you will always have that small group that will replace these with the same tires once they wear out since they are OEMs... but who would literally look at these tires and think this is a great “AT”, tire lets get a set

I don't think it proves anything expect "AT" tires come in various styles and 'aggressive' is a matter of marketing and perception.
I'm not crazy about the Transforce either, but they are 'adequate' and unless there is a drastic change in my needs, they will stay on util it is time to replace...at which point I would find an AT tire with moderately 'aggressive' tread as my off-roading is really just going down camping trails.

Compared to the Transforce HT, the AT has a marginally more 'aggressive' (whatever marketing ploy that means) tread pattern...
I wouldn't call it a great AT tire, but it isn't a HT either...

1601636524631.png

Here are two Yokohamas (Geolander AT/G105 and Geolander X-AT) ... both AT Tires... one with a more moderate tread and another more "aggressive".
I would agree that the AT/G105 looks a bit more capable than the Transforce, but looks nothing like the X-AT.

1601637208309.png

RV_Goose

Reaction score

My 2013 RAM 2500 did spin easier with the Firestone Transforce AT than with the Michelins' that replaced them. I would have made my dealer replace the Firestones had they come on my 2020 RAM 3500 DRW. I got stuck once and the ordered Michelins that were delivered for me were not correct, and would have taken two days to get replacements. They gave me a deal on the Firestones, and I said okay. That $600 saved was not worth it. Two weeks later when I pulled the camper I found the issues. Sold the truck with them on it.

Also the Firestone's were rated the same as the Michelins, but the Michelins handled the 5th wheel weight much better. The firestone heated up and the air pressures went from 80 to 95+ in just a few miles. Once again, Firestone tires were overrated. I've never liked them. When the time comes, I will look at Michelins for my dually.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
My post is more about the dusting of rubber. That was not smoking anything. Probably a 2-3 rotation light spin and it dropped rubber like I was doing a burnout in my old GTO with the drag radials. The tread compound on these things are garbage. People reporting 20k miles out of them adds to the evidence.

Would Michelin Defender LTX tires spin in the same situation? Under all the torque, probably. But, they wouldn't drop a half tires worth of tread on the ground doing it.

Aketay

Reaction score
Looking for a cheap set of Firestone HT’s. Willing to pay $300 for a set of new truck take-offs since no one seems to like them. Somehow I can get 65k miles towing heavy all year long. Once you get past the first 4000 miles they are great tires.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I certainly plan on replacing my Transforce A/Ts with something more aggressive, but I’m not sure what some of you are doing with them.

I have 22k miles on mine since March, with 9k of that towing, and over 1000 miles off-road, and they have about 60% tread left.

I do adjust my pressure between towing and not towing, so that may make a big difference in wear.

They’re not the most aggressive A/T by any means, but they handled Ophir Pass and the myriad of other trails I ran all over Colorado this summer ok. You’ve got to air them down for traction.

D

Deleted member 80

I certainly plan on replacing my Transforce A/Ts with something more aggressive, but I’m not sure what some of you are doing with them.

I have 22k miles on mine since March, with 9k of that towing, and over 1000 miles off-road, and they have about 60% tread left.

I do adjust my pressure between towing and not towing, so that may make a big difference in wear.

They’re not the most aggressive A/T by any means, but they handled Ophir Pass and the myriad of other trails I ran all over Colorado this summer ok. You’ve got to air them down for traction.
There appears to be a difference between the 18" and 20" Transjunks, or they have reworked the compound. On my '15 I did all of the above, and the 18" were approaching the wear bars in 13K miles. It was incredible to watch them disappear. My buddy has a '19 with 20", and they are doing considerably better.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
After much thought i am going to try and make it thru winter with mine(6k miles)...might regret it but i am to cheap! I know for a fact in dry dirt they aint worth a crap, hopefully but doubtful they do ok in mud and then snow. I like to keep the oem incase there is a alignment or suspension issue on new truck that shows itself in tire wear, i dont rotate oem tiresoften for same reasons, better to eat crap tires than $350ea good tires. Find out later this week truely how bad, more rain and snow in forecast! In a ideal world i would like to get 30-35k out of them if i could but performance will set my change scheduale if nothing else, shame tires so expensive.

ramazing916

Reaction score
After much thought i am going to try and make it thru winter with mine(6k miles)...might regret it but i am to cheap! I know for a fact in dry dirt they aint worth a crap, hopefully but doubtful they do ok in mud and then snow. I like to keep the oem incase there is a alignment or suspension issue on new truck that shows itself in tire wear, i dont rotate oem tiresoften for same reasons, better to eat crap tires than $350ea good tires. Find out later this week truely how bad, more rain and snow in forecast! In a ideal world i would like to get 30-35k out of them if i could but performance will set my change scheduale if nothing else, shame tires so expensive.

My firestones have 17,000 on them, and I want to replace them. I tow a 5er, so looking for something that tows well. I dont go on dirt or off-road, and I am in Cali so no snow where I am. Any suggestions would be great. thanks

Xflight29

Reaction score
I have pulled a 8000 # boat out from the lake on slick ramps every weekend this summer and had never spun a tire with Firestones TF tires. do I think they are a top rated tire ? no not at all. but they worked just fine for what they are.
I am planning on having a set of Michelin Crossclimate installed soon seeing my Firestones are not wearing good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread