Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firestone Transforce AT Tires Are Useless

Buppies

Reaction score
17000 miles wearing nicely but never in snow we just can’t seem to buy any

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
It rained the other day and the tires spun pulling out into traffic. We’ve got camping trips planned for each month from May to October and I didn’t want to chance an accident pulling the trailer. So with 14,700 miles I had Discount Tire replace the Transforce AT’s with Michelin Agilis CrossClimates. I noticed an improvement in ride immediately, smother and more quiet. I measured the AT’s when I got home - they’re all at 8/32” or half the original tread depth.

Can’t wait to try them in the rain and towing. Bonus: Discount Tire will rotate them every 6-8K miles for me - no more driveway shuffles!

Attachments

• 4332510D-B329-4404-8700-D11E81A47AC4.jpeg
    4332510D-B329-4404-8700-D11E81A47AC4.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 41
  • A911C0BD-702C-460D-BD61-33F5B3349169.jpeg
    A911C0BD-702C-460D-BD61-33F5B3349169.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 41
  • A6061FCC-42FC-432F-8655-8E727513D3FE.jpeg
    A6061FCC-42FC-432F-8655-8E727513D3FE.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 39

whitexc

Reaction score
Nice looking tires

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
When we picked up our new truck from the dealer it had snowed during the day. On the way home the truck just kept slipping all over the place. In following this forum I had been researching tires for my Ram. Within the week I had a set of Continental TerrainContact AT's put on and they made the world of difference.

Will_T

Reaction score
It rained the other day and the tires spun pulling out into traffic. We’ve got camping trips planned for each month from May to October and I didn’t want to chance an accident pulling the trailer. So with 14,700 miles I had Discount Tire replace the Transforce AT’s with Michelin Agilis CrossClimates. I noticed an improvement in ride immediately, smother and more quiet. I measured the AT’s when I got home - they’re all at 8/32” or half the original tread depth.

Can’t wait to try them in the rain and towing. Bonus: Discount Tire will rotate them every 6-8K miles for me - no more driveway shuffles!
I put these same CrossClimates on my 2001 Ford a bit over a year ago. I love them! I also noticed a difference in ride and noise. I had Toyos of some kind on that I replaced because they aged out, way out, and was I worried about the towing also. So someone is going to get some nice new tires when I sell the Ford. I went back and forth about whether to immediately replace the Transforce that are coming on the new Ram. Lots of people complain, others say they were OK. I don't really go off road, just gravel Forest Service road type stuff. And I have always had a second set of wheels with winter tires for my truck. Not sure if I will do the winter tire thing with the Ram. Just having a bit of a time making up my mind. I think I have decided to just try them for a while at least since even when new, it does not seem like I would get much credit for them if I took them off. Who knows, may still change my mind though.

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

Sounds like you waited at least 14,000 miles too long before scrapping them.

Will_T

Reaction score
Sounds like you waited at least 14,000 miles too long before scrapping them.
Ha! That is exactly what I am debating right now. It is just hard to justify scrapping brand new tires without giving them a chance. Especially when it seems like they are worth next to nothing to the place you buy the replacements from.

jm888

Reaction score
So how bad are these tires if you are not off roading or going in the snow? I am considering these because I like the Night Edition but have not heard great things about these tires. Are they going to be ok for just highway driving and towing for the most part? Do these have a rough ride and/or are they noisy on the road?

Will_T

Reaction score
So how bad are these tires if you are not off roading or going in the snow? I am considering these because I like the Night Edition but have not heard great things about these tires. Are they going to be ok for just highway driving and towing for the most part? Do these have a rough ride and/or are they noisy on the road?
I see differing opinions on this which is what makes the decision hard. Some say they are fine for their use of mainly highway towing and also say they are fine in the rain as long as there is weight on the rear tires. Others say they are not.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
In the time that I had them, I had zero issues on the highway or around town driving (after airing them down to a reasonable pressure instead of the 92-98 PSI when I took delivery).
They were not noisy, were not rough and didn't leave me feeling unsafe in the slightest (while on the road).

I did, however, have multiple traction issues outside of those situations. Worst was helping a friend move and trying to drive up their dirt driveway.

Moving truck had no problems.
His 1500 had no problems.
Her FJ with bald Duratracs had no problems.
Previous owner's Honda CRV had no problems.
You get the picture.

It was frustrating, embarrassing and since I spend a decent amount of time hunting, fishing, camping, etc... off the beaten path, it sealed the deal that I could not wait any longer.

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Ha! That is exactly what I am debating right now. It is just hard to justify scrapping brand new tires without giving them a chance. Especially when it seems like they are worth next to nothing to the place you buy the replacements from.
My thoughts exactly - I wanted them to work out but after two winters and spinning the tires in wet, I did not want to chance it. The Michelins and others mentioned by others handle adverse conditions better than the Transforce AT’s.

They were tolerable in dry conditions but the pucker factor would take over when towing in the rain on interstate highways. Just not worth risking it all for the money.

That silver Twinkie behind the RAM cost more than the truck. If I get 10 extra feet of stopping distance in the rain and that’s the difference between wrecking or not, its worth it.

Attachments

• F706896D-075A-42C8-AD18-23D93881B545.jpeg
    F706896D-075A-42C8-AD18-23D93881B545.jpeg
    587.4 KB · Views: 20

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Two years of driving on the road in Flori-duh with zero issues on dry or wet pavement... towing both heavy and light loads.
Driving down your typical sandy 'dirt' road was ok so long as it was nice and compacted, otherwise I got stuck once in some sugar sand.

Unless there is a drastic change as they wear, they will stay on there until it is time to replace.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
View attachment 7648View attachment 7649

Lol these tires are hot garbage. Slight incline driveway. Rolled the steers back against the curb and gave it like 10% throttle and it was like driving on glass. Put more rubber down in a slight spin than John Force.

More reason the 4x4 Off Road sticker was so cheesy. With these racing slicks?

I am by no means defending the transforce, they’re total pieces of crap. I replaced mine at 2,000 miles. Only took me that long because I was waiting on wheels.

Anyway, i have non-dot sticky competition tires on my rock crawler (39” bfg red labels ~$3000 set of tires or ~$700+ each)
I broke an axle shaft so I had one wheel drive on the rear axle and this is what my driveway looked like when I backed the crawler up the driveway.
A0F2A5D4-EA4F-415E-9E5A-28783BDB5EC6.jpeg

Aketay

Reaction score
I almost got stuck in sugar sand once.........aired the tire down to about 20 lbs and gave her hell. Bucking bronc ride, but I lived to tell the story. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the tires were Transforce HT’s.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I almost got stuck in sugar sand once.........aired the tire down to about 20 lbs and gave her hell. Bucking bronc ride, but I lived to tell the story. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the tires were Transforce HT’s.
HTs are 'highway' tires...

Mopar1Charger

Reaction score
On my 2018 Ram tradesman I got about 23,000 on them...... They have no mileage rating Pure Junk. I had BF tires before Junk. I replaced the Firestone with Cooper A/T I go about 10.000 on them close to the wear bars on the tires.... To think they are rated at 50 or 60,000 miles.... I know I drive like I have a sports car and have a car trailer moving 2 Big Garden tractors to mow 3.5 acres... I'll keep going back to where I buy them and get the prorate out of them......... More people need to do that and maybe then they will make a better tire!!!!

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
On my 2018 Ram tradesman I got about 23,000 on them...... They have no mileage rating Pure Junk. I had BF tires before Junk. I replaced the Firestone with Cooper A/T I go about 10.000 on them close to the wear bars on the tires.... To think they are rated at 50 or 60,000 miles.... I know I drive like I have a sports car and have a car trailer moving 2 Big Garden tractors to more 3.5 acres... I'll keep going back to where I buy them and get the prorate out of them......... More people need to do that and maybe then they will make a better tire!!!!

They have no incentive to make a better tire so long as OEM keep buying them...

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Rumors also that OEM buys a crappier compound than the retail versions. Guy I know whos worked at Firestone for years thinks this too. Firestone Transforce HT/ATs bought at the store would be room temperature garbage rather than hot like OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread