Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth Wheel Install

TendyTwitch

Reaction score
All-

I recently picked up a used 2021 3500 DRW long bed and need to have a fifth wheel hitch installed soon. While this truck met all my needs, it unfortunately did not have the Puck system installed at the factory. However, I couldn't pass up the deal.

I have some emails into local dealerships asking for the parts needed with associated pricing, but have yet to hear back. Now, I do not really plan on using the dealership for obvious $$$ reasons (unless they surprise me and its comparable to other shops) but I want to see what all is required.

So far just from my own research, Im looking at needing:

1. 5th Wheel Prep Kit
2. Hitch Mounting Bracket
3. 25k Hitch
4. Wiring Harness for the bed

What else am I missing? I know I'm missing something but can't put my finger on it.

JoshuaaT

Reaction score
Order a 3-3/4” hole saw if you don’t have one. I could not find one locally and had to order it. I did not have to unbolt my bed to install the puck system. It took me 4-5 hours to install all four mounts and the 7 pin plug in the bed.

TendyTwitch

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. As you can see, I'm definitely new to the fifth wheel world.

A companion hitch is definitely what I am leaning towards.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Couldn’t you avoid installing the whole puck system by just using a Reese Goosebox? Then you just need the gooseneck ball.
You still need to have 3 of the 5 holes for the ball and 2 chain lugs though.

BAT3500

Reaction score
Could also consider rail mount system instead of puck mount system.

Godzilla

Reaction score
I have pulled many trailers and owned two fifth wheels. I've used Reese, Husky, and B&W hitches. Of these three brands, B&W far surpasses the others in build quality. It is the only one of the three (I owned the RVK3600 Companion for the factory Ram puck system) that prevented ALL chucking. The towing was smooth as glass. Now, to be sure, they don't give these hitches away, they are expensive. You can get the Companion without the puck system (obviously) and I've no doubt that if it's installed correctly, your experience would be outstanding as well. The other thing is that the B&W is really heavy, and our Ram trucks are pretty tall in the rear. I'm 6'1" /230 lbs and pretty strong and it was a dogfight to lift it into the bed by myself, even with the coupler assembly removed (it comes off easily). I ended up using a cheap Harbor Freight chain fall attached to a joist in the garage to lift it and then backed under it. The other two hitches I used/owned weren't bad, necessarily, but just were not even in the same ballpark with regard to build and smoothness of ride.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have pulled many trailers and owned two fifth wheels. I've used Reese, Husky, and B&W hitches. Of these three brands, B&W far surpasses the others in build quality. It is the only one of the three (I owned the RVK3600 Companion for the factory Ram puck system) that prevented ALL chucking. The towing was smooth as glass. Now, to be sure, they don't give these hitches away, they are expensive. You can get the Companion without the puck system (obviously) and I've no doubt that if it's installed correctly, your experience would be outstanding as well. The other thing is that the B&W is really heavy, and our Ram trucks are pretty tall in the rear. I'm 6'1" /230 lbs and pretty strong and it was a dogfight to lift it into the bed by myself, even with the coupler assembly removed (it comes off easily). I ended up using a cheap Harbor Freight chain fall attached to a joist in the garage to lift it and then backed under it. The other two hitches I used/owned weren't bad, necessarily, but just were not even in the same ballpark with regard to build and smoothness of ride.
If we are talking about ride quality my EZride hitch far surpasses the B&W it has 4 air bags and 2 shocks weighs 270lbs but you feel Absolutely nothing with any trailer attached… she has many miles but i would never trade it for anything i just leave it on the trailer pin and lift it out using the trailer jack

Attachments

• 20F37BC4-D9F2-4845-B582-8F0E4C5E97E6.jpeg
    20F37BC4-D9F2-4845-B582-8F0E4C5E97E6.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 47

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I like B&W Companions with the turnover ball hitch. I've had multiples so when I bought a new 3500 Chevy last year, I naturally bought a hitch, not thinking anything about it. When I got it, the hitch for late models no longer had the 2 long cross members that slide in over the truck frame rails. Instead now each cross member is a larger, heavier 3pc assembly that has to be installed piece by piece. Once it's all in place, you can tighten the bolts. It was nearly impossible to get as much on some of those bolts as you should. Not nearly as slick an install as they used to be.

That said, I just looked up the 2021 Ram hitch and as far as I can tell, I love it. It appears they use a large hydroformed cross member that's already on the truck from the factory. Pretty much just drill the holes and bolt the hitch in place. I'll have to come up with a hitch when my '22 Ram comes in, if it comes in, but I'll be dealing with a flatbed. I already have the flatbed Companion hitch base and hitch but I'll have to rig up a turnover ball hitch on the bed. I'd never use anything else on a flatbed. The base is easily handled by one person for removal.

Good luck on whatever you go with.

Godzilla

Reaction score
If we are talking about ride quality my EZride hitch far surpasses the B&W it has 4 air bags and 2 shocks weighs 270lbs but you feel Absolutely nothing with any trailer attached… she has many miles but i would never trade it for anything i just leave it on the trailer pin and lift it out using the trailer jack
Perhaps it does, I've never pulled using one. Sounds like a nice one.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Perhaps it does, I've never pulled using one. Sounds like a nice one.
Yea but they are over 4k now so i dont see anyone buying one but i happened to get it when i bought a truck it was in the box

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yea but they are over 4k now so i dont see anyone buying one but i happened to get it when i bought a truck it was in the box
Is that hitch still made? Maybe under a different name or something? I was trying to research it but not having any luck. Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Last edited:

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I have looked at those type 5th wheel hitches. If we traveled longer distances, I would purchase one. But my Mopar (made by Curt) works for my short trips. I cannot recommend buying a Mopar or Curt hitch. But mine came with my truck.

Godzilla

Reaction score
Ouch - the Companion is around $2k and I had to dig deep on that LOL. But you know, if you pull a lot, or especially if you are a full-timer - these expenses would, to me, pay off in reliability and comfort.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Ouch - the Companion is around $2k and I had to dig deep on that LOL. But you know, if you pull a lot, or especially if you are a full-timer - these expenses would, to me, pay off in reliability and comfort.
I have marketplace and ebay monitoring for used hitches like this to be posted for sale. Have not found one in 3 years of waiting.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea at the time when the old couple who owned the truck before me paid 2500$ just for the base they had to use the reese head they had but its good for 20k, they towed a large 5th wheel to Arizona and back every year i guess the price was right for them and i dont know if i could ever sell it im way to attached especially when i go down old logging roads

Users who are viewing this thread