Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fifth wheel for 2019 3500 Mega Cab Short Bed

Claigast

Reaction score
Just trying to get some info. I recently purchased a 16,000lb. Fifth wheel and I'm getting mixed reviews on what to use as far as a fifth wheel. The RV dealership is telling me they are ordering a SuperGlide item#2315. But from what I'm seeing the 2019 are 3 inches higher in the bed, I called superglide and they confirmed not to get the 2315, but get the 2300 and also the 4439 bed rails. Can anyone give me any info as to what they use. I don't want to bust out my window and don't need it hitting the bed rail...
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab Dually with the short bed. The bed is equipped with the 5th wheel puck system(towing package)!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
The 2300 with the rails is correct. The rails raise it up a little to get you back some clearance to the bed rails. The slide will keep you from breaking the window for all but the most extreme situations, which if your in one of those, really need to look at another way to back in. I have a short bed and use a demco hijacker auto slide.

switz

Reaction score
Or get a Reese Sidewinder. I have it on a 16K 5th wheel and can do over 90 degree turns without any issues. And, it frees up your bed too.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
I don’t use a slider on my mega cab. My fifth wheel has recessed corners so we can get pretty close to 90 degrees without contacting.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Just trying to get some info. I recently purchased a 16,000lb. Fifth wheel and I'm getting mixed reviews on what to use as far as a fifth wheel. The RV dealership is telling me they are ordering a SuperGlide item#2315. But from what I'm seeing the 2019 are 3 inches higher in the bed, I called superglide and they confirmed not to get the 2315, but get the 2300 and also the 4439 bed rails. Can anyone give me any info as to what they use. I don't want to bust out my window and don't need it hitting the bed rail...
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab Dually with the short bed. The bed is equipped with the 5th wheel puck system(towing package)!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dunno where this info from the difference of the height of the bed rails comes into play? I specifically measured my 07 Mega Cab bed rail height and compared to my 2020 Mega Cab DRW before I ordered my 2315 Super Glide hitch. They are the same height. Front height measurement in the bed and rear height measurement was the same. We're talking within an 1/8 of an inch. Very little difference. I ordered the 2315 and it has plenty of bed rail clearance. I will take a pic the next time I hook up to our 5th wheel and post it. Not camping again till Nov 5th tho. I'm sure I have more bed rail clearance than I had with my 07 because the Pullrite 4400 hitch I used in the 07 actually sat lower in the bed. I have since added a soft roll up Gator SR1 toneau cover that sits on top of the bed rails too.

My old hitch (4400 Traditional SuperGlide) 15.5 inch height according to Pullrite tech specs.

SG6.jpg

My new hitch (2315 SuperGlide) It sits higher. 17 inch height according to Pullrite the specs.

SG1.jpg

I can get an actual measurement if you want but the 2315 is good to go for my DRW Mega Cab. The only thing I can think is you may have to adjust your 5th wheel king pin tongue bolts if you need more clearance.

Last edited:

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I dunno where this info from the difference of the height of the bed rails comes into play? I specifically measured my 07 Mega Cab bed rail height and compared to my 2020 Mega Cab DRW before I ordered my 2315 Super Glide hitch. They are the same height. Front height measurement in the bed and rear height measurement was the same. We're talking within an 1/8 of an inch. Very little difference. I ordered the 2315 and it has plenty of bed rail clearance. I will take a pic the next time I hook up to our 5th wheel and post it. Not camping again till Nov 5th tho. I'm sure I have more bed rail clearance than I had with my 07 because the Pullrite 4400 hitch I used in the 07 actually sat lower in the bed. I have since added a soft roll up Gator SR1 toneau cover that sits on top of the bed rails too.

My old hitch (4400 Traditional SuperGlide) 15.5 inch height according to Pullrite tech specs.

View attachment 7355

My new hitch (2315 SuperGlide) It sits higher. 17 inch height according to Pullrite the specs.

View attachment 7356

I can get an actual measurement if you want but the 2315 is good to go for my DRW Mega Cab. The only thing I can think is you may have to adjust your 5th wheel king pin tongue bolts if you need more clearance.

I heard the same thing when I bought my 2013 RAM 2500 in 2014. My 2020 RAM 3500 unloaded sits a little higher. But as soon as I hitch the 5th wheel, the truck settles about as much as my2500 did. I have at least 6.5 inches rail clearance.

My trailer is a 2008 WolfPack 295WP. GVWR is 12k and our usual load is 10k.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
I heard the same thing when I bought my 2013 RAM 2500 in 2014. My 2020 RAM 3500 unloaded sits a little higher. But as soon as I hitch the 5th wheel, the truck settles about as much as my2500 did. I have at least 6.5 inches rail clearance.

My trailer is a 2008 WolfPack 295WP. GVWR is 12k and our usual load is 10k.

I think you're talking suspension height and squatting. I'm talking from the floor of the bed to the top of the bed rails in my 2020 is virtually the same height as was my 07 Cummins MC. The bed is no deeper on the new truck as opposed to the old truck. And my new 2315 hitch sits higher than my old 4400 hitch in virtually the same bed.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I think you're talking suspension height and squatting. I'm talking from the floor of the bed to the top of the bed rails in my 2020 is virtually the same height as was my 07 Cummins MC. The bed is no deeper on the new truck as opposed to the old truck. And my new 2315 hitch sits higher than my old 4400 hitch in virtually the same bed.

Ahhhh...okay. I had not heard anything about beds being deeper. It was always the whole truck being higher. Folks on RV boards were lowering the trucks. This is new to me.

I believe someone change some words around and the story has changed.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Ahhhh...okay. I had not heard anything about beds being deeper. It was always the whole truck being higher. Folks on RV boards were lowering the trucks. This is new to me.

I believe someone change some words around and the story has changed.
I have no first hand experience but I've read the following "Expert Reply"...

So is it a valid recommendation or some BS?

RV_Goose

Reaction score

The hitch is not adjustable. But I know PullRite used to have different height rails. I didn't need them but I did price them in 2015/6. There are also different pin boxes on trailers. That also effects the clearance.

This is the first I have heard about beds being deeper and not the whole truck being higher.

Apparently this is new from 2018/19?

All other charts just compared lengths, widths. But none for depth.

Last edited:

Huskerz1

Reaction score

That is the review that prompted me to take measurements in the first place. I found, as I stated earlier, that my bed rail height was virtually the same in my old 2007 MC as my new 2020 MC. True the Pullrite has no height adjust ability but the specs are right on. As for the locking bar, with Pullrite you can just use a padlock to insure the disconnect lever can’t be operated out to disengage. I dunno what else they are talking about with "accidental" disconnection. Also, I noticed the only autoslider offered by E-Trailer is the Demco. So it makes sense they push it over the Pullrite.

Last edited:

Huskerz1

Reaction score
The hitch is not adjustable. But I know PullRite used to have different height rails. I didn't need them but I did price them in 2015/6. There are also different pin boxes on trailers. That also effects the clearance.

This is the first I have heard about beds being deeper and not the whole truck being higher.

Apparently this is new from 2018/19?

All other charts just compared lengths, widths. But none for depth.

I cannot speak to the Demco. I have zero experience with it. But I just took these pics to help you be informed about the Pullrite. I have front and rear pics of bed depth. I took pics of it hitched up to my camper and so you can see the clearance. ClearBack.jpgClearFront.jpgClear3.jpgClear4.jpg

Front bed depth = 20 in
Rear bed depth = 20.5 in
Clearance from the bottom of the 5th wheel to the top of my toneau cover rail that sits on the top = 6.5 in
Clearance from the bottom of the 5th wheel to the top the bedrail without toneau cover rail mounted on would be = 7.5 - 8 in

Hope that helps.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
One more pic. This is the bottom of the bed to the top of the hitch plate on the 2315. Clear2.jpg

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I do not have my hitch in my truck right now. But I did measure the bed sides. The bottoms are rounded but I tried to go straight down. 20 inches in the fron and 20 1/2 in the rear. I do remember that the new M25 hitch in my 2020 3500 is the same height as my Pullrite was in the 2500. I had the PullRite underbed mounts in my 2500. My 3500 has the RAM 5th wheel/gooseneck prep.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_142757740_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200923_142757740_HDR.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200923_143244227_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200923_143244227_HDR.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread