Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback On 3500 Factory Rear Air Suspension?

maxsteel

Reaction score
I have a truck on order which just went into KZ status a couple of days ago, so should be here in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I ordered the truck with the rear air suspension, as I will be towing a 17k pound toy hauler with it. My current truck is leveled and running ~34s (295/70R18), and I want to replicate that stance but go up to a proper 35". Trying to find accurate information on the factory air is pretty difficult, to say the least, but it does look like options are very limited when it comes to levels/lifts that work with the system.

The reason I bring this up...another dealer in the area has the exact same truck in transit, minus the air suspension. It will be here a week or two earlier to boot. If I can get the same MSRP discount I got from my order or better, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger and just installing aftermarket bags.

Anybody out there have any feedback on running larger wheels and/or aftermarket level/lift kits with factory air trucks? Unloaded, do the factory air trucks really ride noticeably better than the non-air trucks?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I did see something on Youtube direct from Carli where they did a lift with a 3500 with the factory rear air ride.

Jackmayhoffer

Reaction score
Vancouver island, british columbia, canada
I have a truck on order which just went into KZ status a couple of days ago, so should be here in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I ordered the truck with the rear air suspension, as I will be towing a 17k pound toy hauler with it. My current truck is leveled and running ~34s (295/70R18), and I want to replicate that stance but go up to a proper 35". Trying to find accurate information on the factory air is pretty difficult, to say the least, but it does look like options are very limited when it comes to levels/lifts that work with the system.

The reason I bring this up...another dealer in the area has the exact same truck in transit, minus the air suspension. It will be here a week or two earlier to boot. If I can get the same MSRP discount I got from my order or better, I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger and just installing aftermarket bags.

Anybody out there have any feedback on running larger wheels and/or aftermarket level/lift kits with factory air trucks? Unloaded, do the factory air trucks really ride noticeably better than the non-air trucks?
Im in same position. My previous 13 didnt have the factory air. But the truck ive ordered does. The lifts and levels all work, but you will need to fab up some lift plates to sit under the airbags. Thats it. Ive seen a few done and it seems flawless. That was my biggest hesitation with going to factory air. But once new one shows up here ill get er all in. Ive already got tires/rims for it. 35x13.5 fronts and 12.5s rear. (Dually) on 20s.

switz

Reaction score
I love the factory airbags. The ride empty is so much smoother than my F350. And, I don't need to do anything when hooking up the 5th wheel. When the weight is added to the bed, the airbags do their thing and level the truck.

maxsteel

Reaction score
So I got my truck and just wanted to share my opinion. The rear air is the one thing I wish I wouldn't have done (which sucks after waiting 9 weeks and not ending up with what you want). I hate how low the rear of this thing sits and how difficult it is to find parts that work for it. I put a 2" spacer up front to help clear 35s (which I plan to swap to coils ASAP), and now my front end sits .5 to 1 inch higher than the rear. Good luck finding anything that "officially" supports raising the rear, with the exception of the $6k+ Carli kit which is not yet available.

Haven't towed with it yet, but my plans changed since I ordered the truck and I will now be towing a much lighter fifth wheel (non toy hauler) so I don't expect that experience to offset the hassle.

Zinga

Reaction score
Being a Ford owner and not a part of the Dodge/Ram world (yet), it's funny (and obvious) how different the two ownership groups are from each other. The dodge/ram folks are obsessed with certain things and leveling their trucks is one of them. Being an outsider, it's really funny. I don't mean it a bad way either. I'm just shocked at how much the word "level" is used. I know there are Ford owners that level their trucks too, but you guys are win the prize.

The manufacturer is obviously reading the forums because they have a dealer option to auto-level the truck. And it's still not good enough! LOL. I give them credit for offering the option. Maybe FCA should modify the electronics so that you can adjust the level in 1/4' increments, up or down. I bet it would be worth an extra $500 to the typical buyer: $1500 for the auto-level rear and $2000 for an adjustable auto-level rear.

maxsteel

Reaction score
They are really two different things. After-market levels are typically done to clear larger tires without rubbing and to reduce/eliminate rake. The factory auto-level is not meant for this. It's purpose is to re-level your truck when you apply a load so your headlights aren't pointing to the moon. The reason the rake exists in the first place is to end up with a level truck when a load is applied. Because that isn't a factor for the factory auto-level system, the truck does sit (almost) "level" by default. But that is accomplished by lowering the rear end significantly when compared to a regular rear suspension truck. End result is a leveled-but-lower truck. To run larger tires, you need a leveled-but-higher truck.

Can't speak to how the other owner worlds are, I've been in a Ram since 13 and just assumed everybody wants a leveled truck ;)

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been driving Mopar Trucks since 1996 and have not once leveled a truck.

The way I level my Rams is put a load in the bed, the proper way.

Nothing worse than seeing a leveled truck, and then they load it and the lights are pointing to the sky.

And maybe why the Ford world doesn't level much is because their HD trucks are real bad with this issue.

Good times in the truck world lol

Zinga

Reaction score
They are really two different things. ...

Can't speak to how the other owner worlds are, I've been in a Ram since 13 and just assumed everybody wants a leveled truck ;)
Correct. Two different things: Ram owners, who can tell you everything about leveling a truck, and everyone else. :cool:

I'm in the camp who could care less. When I hook up the 5th wheel to my F350, the rear of the truck is lower. When I load up the bed with something heavy (landscape soil, base rock, bricks, whatever), the rear is lower. When it's not loaded, it is what it is.

When the 3500 shows up and I use it for the first time, it'll be the same. When I have it hooked up, the rear will probably be lower.

Zinga

Reaction score
After-market levels are typically done to clear larger tires without rubbing and to reduce/eliminate rake
Outside of the Ram world, a lift kit is used to clear large tires. In the Ram world, the norm is obsessing over the front/rear heights before, during and after a lift kit is installed. Then, after the truck is leveled, there's the obsession of leveling it when a trailer is hooked up. LOL.

D

Deleted member 80

Mine doesn't squat unless you're talking about the front being lower than the rear.
So you could hook onto my toyhauler that puts 4,860 lbs on the gooseneck, and it would still be tail high?

Zinga

Reaction score
So you could hook onto my toyhauler that puts 4,860 lbs on the gooseneck, and it would still be tail high?
I've loaded it many times with 2 1/2 tons of base rock and it's level. So, hooking it up to your tow hauler would make it level. If I did that and unhooked your 4860 lb gooseneck tow hauler, or unloaded the base rock, the rear would rise back up. Life goes on.

archer75

Reaction score
I buy my truck for towing. And as such I don't bother with leveling kits or lifts. I did put a leveling kit on my titan when I owned it because the rake on that was ridiculous and I wasn't towing with it. I don't even see a rake on my ram. And i'd rather tow with my headlights pointing the right direction.
If I wasn't towing then I wouldn't even bother with a heavy duty truck.

Last edited:

Heckyl

Reaction score
For anyone that have driven trucks for a while, it is obvious that all truck owners have vastly different feelings on what they feel a great looking truck should look like... and are very passionate about it. I get it, I love trucks, and I too am passionate on how all my trucks are and how they stand. It is actually pretty funny for me to see, and hear how different people like their trucks... leveled, lowered, lifted and level, lifted with rake, open diff, lockers, limited slip, large rims, low profile tires, large tires, mud tires, hybrid tires, light bars in front, light bars in back, low flow exhaust, deleted, bed rugs, sprayed bed, bed mat, flat bed, bed cover , bed cap, gas, diesel, blacked out, chromed out, debadged, exhaust tip, trash can exhaust tip, tinted, air suspension, coil suspension, leaf suspension, no clearance lights, clearance lights, running boards, regular cab, crew cab, mega cab, window visors, fender flares, SRW, dually, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, Ram box, tool box, mud flaps, Ram, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan ... etc.
In fact, there are so many different variations of trucks out there are a lot of them that I would be personally embarrassed to drive, but to the owners of those trucks... their trucks are the GOAT.
Yep, actually pretty funny.

maxsteel

Reaction score
For anyone that have driven trucks for a while, it is obvious that all truck owners have vastly different feelings on what they feel a great looking truck should look like... and are very passionate about it. I get it, I love trucks, and I too am passionate on how all my trucks are and how they stand. It is actually pretty funny for me to see, and hear how different people like their trucks... leveled, lowered, lifted and level, lifted with rake, open diff, lockers, limited slip, large rims, low profile tires, large tires, mud tires, hybrid tires, light bars in front, light bars in back, low flow exhaust, deleted, bed rugs, sprayed bed, bed mat, flat bed, bed cover , bed cap, gas, diesel, blacked out, chromed out, debadged, exhaust tip, trash can exhaust tip, tinted, air suspension, coil suspension, leaf suspension, no clearance lights, clearance lights, running boards, regular cab, crew cab, mega cab, window visors, fender flares, SRW, dually, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton, Ram box, tool box, mud flaps, Ram, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan ... etc.
In fact, there are so many different variations of trucks out there are a lot of them that I would be personally embarrassed to drive, but to the owners of those trucks... their trucks are the GOAT.

Well said.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Heading to Truck Nationals @ Carlisle first weekend of August.

Very interesting to see all the different styles of trucks.

When a truck is done right, no matter the style I can appreciate. But, some really don't match the style.

Cannot wait to head down.

Jframes

Reaction score
OP- I have the same issue right now. I purchased a 2500 limited cummins with the rear factory air ride. I wish I would have ordered instead of finding one built by the dealer. I would prefer to have a 4-6 lift on it but there is nothing available for it right now. I had the shop do the 2" leveling kit and 35" fit nicely. I do however experience the same thing with the truck being about a 1/2" lower in there real. Hard to notice because it's so small of a difference but it drive me crazy too. The local shop said that in 6-9 months something will be available for it but probably only a 4-5" lift.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of some coding that will allow you to adjust the rake of the vehicle. Like for example adjust the rear end "up" out of level 1%-3% to give it the look. Maybe a company could include this option on a OBD tuner? hoping something happens soon.

Zinga

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of some coding that will allow you to adjust the rake of the vehicle.
It's electronically possible on my Jaguar on the dealer software, so it's probably possible on a Ram. The other option is to fabricate a part that offsets the electronic eye, which is another way Jaguar owners lower their rides. Either way works.

In the long run, the guy who hacks the software and write an apps to raise or lower the truck is the guy who is going to make a lot of money, until FCA offers it as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread