Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastest Aisin failure

Jmb5332

Reaction score
I think I win the trophy for fastest Aisin transmission failure. 702 miles on my 2022 RAM 3500. Hooray for me.

Last edited:

jk2119

Reaction score
what did it do? Did it make any noise prior to the failure?

Jmb5332

Reaction score
At first it threw an exhaust code, and went into a limp mode type situation. Then when I got it turned off the road it went into neutral on its own, would not go into gear, and if it did go into gear it sounded like a cannon going off. Then proceeded to tell me 4x4 shift unavailable. Next if you did get it in gear max 800 rpm’s with pedal to the floor. It was a pretty rough day for me. Got to wait awhile on tow truck.

jk2119

Reaction score
Gotcha. That sucks. I ask as sometimes mine makes a "chirp" or something when I am somewhat on the gas when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. That is why I asked about any sounds.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I win the trophy for fastest Aisin transmission failure. 702 miles on my 2022 RAM 3500. Hooray for me.
Welcome to the group. I hate to be “that guy” but you at least made it into triple digits. I’ve been tracking these failures across multiple forums the past two weeks and collecting data on their failures. The fastest original transmission failure on my spreadsheet currently was 132 miles. I have one person who had the transmission go out, dealer put a full replacement in. They made it 3 miles down the road towing their fifth wheel and the replacement transmission failed in the same manner. Currently down waiting for their second replacement transmission, or repair parts via the TSB ram released.

jk2119

Reaction score
Welcome to the group. I hate to be “that guy” but you at least made it into triple digits. I’ve been tracking these failures across multiple forums the past two weeks and collecting data on their failures. The fastest original transmission failure on my spreadsheet currently was 132 miles. I have one person who had the transmission go out, dealer put a full replacement in. They made it 3 miles down the road towing their fifth wheel and the replacement transmission failed in the same manner. Currently down waiting for their second replacement transmission, or repair parts via the TSB ram released.
Have you heard of any making a "chirping" noise or fast squealing noise when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and only when on the throttle a little more than regular take offs?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you heard of any making a "chirping" noise or fast squealing noise when it shifts from 1st to 2nd and only when on the throttle a little more than regular take offs?
I have not. Every owner I’ve been in touch with who experienced this K1 snap ring failure states pretty much the same thing. It just lets go without warning and was operating perfectly fine prior to the failure. What year is your truck and when was it manufactured?

jk2119

Reaction score
I have not. Every owner I’ve been in touch with who experienced this K1 snap ring failure states pretty much the same thing. It just lets go without warning and was operating perfectly fine prior to the failure. What year is your truck and when was it manufactured?
2022. Built July 19, 2022. It shifts no problem. It just will make that weird noise when I do what I mentioned earlier.

jk2119

Reaction score
Oh wow, with that low of mileage, there could be a potential issue there. Have you taken to the dealer to have them try to identify the sound?
I have not yet. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue or heard of it or if it was normal with this trans.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you were replying to me instead of jk2119, but I'll see what I can get and post it on your spreadsheet thread.
Yeah I’m sorry man, I was in the middle of some hydraulic work on a backhoe and had oil all over the place, I guess I hit the wrong reply button.

Whenever you get the info let me know. I appreciate it!

CaptainMike

Reaction score
No worries, been there. I spent almost 4 hours tracking down a hydraulic leak on my hoe last summer. The funny part was after I found it it only took about 30 minutes to replace it and put the tractor back together.

Users who are viewing this thread