Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fake WIX air filter?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
1st off I'd say you guys South of the boarder have a lot more goodies available for our trucks.
Ordered a new filter from Amazon, WIX brand as they were in stock comparing to Fleetguard which was an import weeks away, or Mopar which was the same cost as buying at the dealer.

Description says "country of origin - USA", assuming that means made in USA. Pictures show the filter rubber seal is red color.

Received this Hecho en Mexico thing with black rubber seal, have I got a fake?

Those of you that have had or hadn't issues while running WIX filters, what colors were they?

Can also anyone make a comment on the "glue strips"?

Attachments

• 2023-10-30-12-37-29-727.jpg
    2023-10-30-12-37-29-727.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 38
  • 2023-10-30-12-37-39-115.jpg
    2023-10-30-12-37-39-115.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2023-10-30-12-50-33-168.jpg
    2023-10-30-12-50-33-168.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20231030-124950_Amazon Shopping.png
    Screenshot_20231030-124950_Amazon Shopping.png
    1 MB · Views: 34

Riddick

Reaction score
They have changed where they are manufactured over the years. About 4-5 months ago I purchased the same exact filter from Rock Auto and it was stamped "Made in Mexico". While I ran this filter my truck would regen every couple hundred miles, I swapped back to the OEM filter and truck has not regenned in the past 800 miles. Fleetguard or OEM from here on out! For what its worth my filter looked identical to the yellow WIX in your pics with the glue strips.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply at least I know now what to expect... next year when I take my truck out after winters hibernation. Have you had any codes beside frequent regens?

Basically Mexican made WIX is equal to fake, unless more members pitch in and disprove this point.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
Complain to Amazon, they are the kings of bait and switch. I had the same issue with a oil filter for my Jeep from Amazon. Going to start buying my filters locally so I can make sure I'm getting what I want.

Riddick

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply at least I know now what to expect... next year when I take my truck out after winters hibernation. Have you had any codes beside frequent regens?

Basically Mexican made WIX is equal to fake, unless more members pitch in and disprove this point.

My truck never threw a code for frequent regens, I frequently monitor the DPF screen and noticed it right away. After three regens I purchased an OEM filter have not experienced a regen in the past 800 miles.

The WIX filters we received are not fake however, they have changed the design/construction of materials over the past few years.

Not sure if this is relevant data or not but I did run the Wix filer with OEM programming and Calibrated Power programming. The regen frequency of roughly 150-200 miles was the same for both calibrations when running the Wix.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
The WIX filters we received are not fake however, they have changed the design/construction of materials over the past few years.
Not technically a fake but if their quality became on pair with Chinese made filters then it's the same thing, especially with online sales where they show you one picture of made in the USA filter and then ship you a mexican product. I could have taken a chance with ACDelco or a few other known brands for half that much.
Complain to Amazon, they are the kings of bait and switch. I had the same issue with a oil filter for my Jeep from Amazon. Going to start buying my filters locally so I can make sure I'm getting what I want.
Just did. I left a negative (one star) review earlier and just now applied for a return and a refund.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Got to watch amazon I bought a MAP sensor for my old S 10 truck came in an AC delco box and "made in china" was molded right into the sensor its self.

werard

Reaction score
When buying on Amazon do your due diligence and check to see if the item is being sold BY Amazon or a reseller using Amazon's site to sell.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
4.8 stars average rating out of almost 1000 reviews, seemed legit...

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Some of you may have watched this guy's channel, interesting comparison on air filters. Too bad his test filters are for Suburban and not 19+ RAM trucks.
I like how they compare in filtration test starting at about 9 min mark, WIX (made in USA, orange seal) and Purolator 1 came on top. What a stark contrast with KnN.
I wonder if anyone tried Purolator 1 filters for 19+ Cummins, I see them on Amazon.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Some of you may have watched this guy's channel, interesting comparison on air filters. Too bad his test filters are for Suburban and not 19+ RAM trucks.
I like how they compare in filtration test starting at about 9 min mark, WIX (made in USA, orange seal) and Purolator 1 came on top. What a stark contrast with KnN.
I wonder if anyone tried Purolator 1 filters for 19+ Cummins, I see them on Amazon.

Thoroughly enjoy watching his videos...
I actually used a Purolator vs WIX on my 6.4 this time around as AMSoil didn't have any in stock.
I may look for the Purolator Air filter when that comes due again.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoy watching his videos...
I actually used a Purolator vs WIX on my 6.4 this time around as AMSoil didn't have any in stock.
I may look for the Purolator Air filter when that comes due again.
He is good, his is one of the channels I'm subscribed to.
I may just give it a go myself, will order a fleetguard and a Purolator one and see if purolator gives me any issues, if yes I will swap to a fleetguard. Still cheaper for both of them than buying one OEM from a dealer.

thecastle

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen his video before. I like his methodology. I've been in the modding various cars for years, and there is always a trade off. In the modder community folks have known for a long time, for the same size filter, to get less pressure drop or better flow usually means poorer filtration. KnN has always been a good high flow choice if you use a filter, and don't over oil it. However, the trade is shorter engine life, but that's pretty much the trade with all performance enhancers. Most people just say no to KnN if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time, and if it has a MAF sensor. I used to run them on a highly modified big turbo car, and frankly couldn't tell any performance difference with it on a hot air intake. It did allow more turbo noise through though, some consider that a benefit...

I've been using WIX on my ram, and I too noticed the one I pulled off had an orangeish seal, and the new one had a black seal. Both purchased from Amazon, and both sold by Amazon.com Services LLC and both had the same part number 46930

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I've been using WIX on my ram, and I too noticed the one I pulled off had an orangeish seal, and the new one had a black seal. Both purchased from Amazon, and both sold by Amazon.com Services LLC and both had the same part number 46930

IMO the changes are just cost saving measures by WIX (or parent company) to provide a similar product at a similar price...

thecastle

Reaction score
IMO the changes are just cost saving measures by WIX (or parent company) to provide a similar product at a similar price...
I suspect you're right. There is an increase in sensitivity to filter design with it recently coming to light that the cummins engine maybe very sensitive to filter design changes.

Users who are viewing this thread