Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Fuel Tanks and Highflow Diesel Pumps

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I have another thread about aftermarket fuel tanks and highflow diesel pumps, primarily the midship factory replacement tanks (SB and Titan), which made me curious now about peoples experience with the factory tanks.

How does everyones factory diesel tank work with the highflow pumps at truck stops? 31gal or 50gal. Do you have issues filling due to the pump clicking off? Do you get fuel spill issues?

Let me know your experience.

BubbaWilkins

Reaction score
I have another thread about aftermarket fuel tanks and highflow diesel pumps, primarily the midship factory replacement tanks (SB and Titan), which made me curious now about peoples experience with the factory tanks.

How does everyones factory diesel tank work with the highflow pumps at truck stops? 31gal or 50gal. Do you have issues filling due to the pump clicking off? Do you get fuel spill issues?

Let me know your experience.
I've used truck pumps a couple of times with my CC 3500 with the dual tanks. I can't just pull the trigger and let it fly as it will kick off every time. I was able to start slow and gradually increase to full flow and then lock it on.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I've used truck pumps a couple of times with my CC 3500 with the dual tanks. I can't just pull the trigger and let it fly as it will kick off every time. I was able to start slow and gradually increase to full flow and then lock it on.
Gotta “ease” into it then. Gotcha.

Sounds like maybe a larger vent line might help.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I also posted in your other thread but just for future thread lookers, I have used a high flow pump with my factory 31gal tank with no issues, full on, clicked off when it should have. i have not tried it yet with my s&b so i cannot speak to that.

The Real Glee

Reaction score
I’m still waiting on my truck to be built. How does the capless filler work with the larger diameter fuel nozzles? Any issues? I’ve heard that they sometimes hang up on the inside flap.

Wilder

Reaction score
Its tricky but i have found that if i put the nozzle all the way in the filler, it will always kick off on anything but the slowest setting with the high flow pumps. If you back the nozzle out 1/2-3/4" from as far in as it will go, and tip the handle slightly downward toward the ground, it will usually accept filling full speed from the semi truck pump.

Haven't spilled yet with this method either!

Linked4door

Reaction score
No spills with my OE 50gal. Most pumps work fine with auto shutoff, but some you have to ease into as others have said. I haven't noticed any fitment issues for diesel, but the nozzles for DEF at the pump seem bigger then the factory opening. And auto shut off from what I have see for DEF is hit or miss due to the sizing issue.

thecastle

Reaction score
I have the titan 50 gallon tank. high flow pumps fill a lot faster even on slow speeds than regular pumps. I find I have to set the handle at the lowest flow rate or it kicks off. But it’s still a ton faster than a regular pump. Biggest problem for me is the $75-$100 limit most pumps have. I end up running a card 3x to fill up. Plus the pumps slow way down when approaching their dollar limit. I’d like to see $200-$300 be the limit with todays prices

Bcrouse

Reaction score
I have the titan 50 gallon tank. high flow pumps fill a lot faster even on slow speeds than regular pumps. I find I have to set the handle at the lowest flow rate or it kicks off. But it’s still a ton faster than a regular pump. Biggest problem for me is the $75-$100 limit most pumps have. I end up running a card 3x to fill up. Plus the pumps slow way down when approaching their dollar limit. I’d like to see $200-$300 be the limit with todays prices
I have another post for aftermarket tanks fill but really good info.

You should get a fleet card if you fill up at truck pumps and constantly hit limits.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Never an issue with my 50 gallon tank....I think the hang up issue is when you try to pull the nozzle out too fast....only had mine get caught once...wiggled it a little and it came right out....

Linked4door

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more! You're lucky to get 3x out of the pumps though. Around me after the second full charge, the pump (or my bank) shuts down a third attempt and I have to use a different card. I started to just pump from my 90gal aux tank now, and then prepay inside 600-800 to fill up both tanks when they go dry to avoid multiple swipes. But I try not to let th both go dry.

Bombaman

Reaction score
If your filling up at the Hi-Flow pumps, and live near a trucking corridor, consider getting something like TSD OpenRoads. Some places you can get Diesel bellow the price of most locations, and no limits on how much you can pump. When you have a trailer hooked up, and you pull forward after filling, don't even need to park to go get a stale hotdog and a sody-water.

Bcrouse

Reaction score
Never an issue with my 50 gallon tank....I think the hang up issue is when you try to pull the nozzle out too fast....only had mine get caught once...wiggled it a little and it came right out....
So youre sayin you need to wiggle it, just a little bit and let it groove?

Users who are viewing this thread