Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Air Suspension 2021 2500 Bighorn

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
While towing my 9000 lb. trailer two years ago one of the airbags burst and we got a “Service Air Suspension System Immediately” message, you could feel the rear end lower, and the trailer/truck combination became really difficult to handle at anything over 30 mph. This is when we found out there is no backup spring set on the 2500 unlike the 3500. As this was pretty much the peak of the pandemic, we called around to see if we could get it in for emergency repairs and the short answer was no parts and shop appointments were 2-3 weeks out. As we were “only” about 120 miles from we limped home and took it in locally (about 6 week wait to get it repaired).

So now we may have a few longer trips planned we would like to know if there are any suggestions about how to not get stranded if this were to happen again.

One thought was to at least have a spare bag, shroud, zip ties, etc., but I can’t seem to find part numbers.

Can anyone provide the bag parts list?

Also, are there any other better long term ideas short of removing the factory air bags and replacing them with coil springs and then adding a third party set of air bags? Can I install a backup third party set next to the factory bags?

We do have a 16k rated weight distribution hitch - can we crank up the tension on the distribution bars enough to make a difference?

Thanks.

2021 2500 Bighorn, 4x4, crew cab, 6.4 hemi, 4.10 rear, short bed

bobbo7915

Reaction score
i went and searched out per my vin, i have a 2022 2500 with the air suspension. the below number is for the air spring assembly, its a complete part. appears to be the same part number from 2014-2023.

68349603AA

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
i went and searched out per my vin, i have a 2022 2500 with the air suspension. the below number is for the air spring assembly, its a complete part. appears to be the same part number from 2014-2023.

68349603AA
Thank you. Looks like a little more than I wanted to spend for a spare. But thanks for the part number - it let me find the correct section in the parts lookup for some other ideas.

So, as an emergency backup solution, could I temporarily use a coil spring on one side and put the air suspension setting on tire jack or alignment mode? And there were a large number (18 or so) rear coil springs that were shown (68091203AB, 68349169AB-68349184). What are the differences?

bobbo7915

Reaction score
yeah pretty expensive to have for a backup...

i dont think the coil spring would work out. my truck seems to sit lower then coil sprung trucks so it might not sit level, not even sure if there is a coil spring bucket if you were to remove the air apring?

all the different part numbers are probably different spring rates for different trim levels/options.

Ram25002021

Reaction score
What about a Sumospring? This appears to be larger than the factory bump stop, but uses the same bracket. Curious if the air suspension failed, if the extra cushion would act as somewhat of a spring short term.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Timburn or sumo spring in the tool box that you can install in about 15 mins if you do have a blow out that will get you home and easy on the pocket book

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
Thank you both for those suggestions. I coincidentally had my truck in for service this past week and asked the service manager to see if he could research for any warranty supported options, but both of your ideas warrant further research. Since it’s a little less expensive I will start by contacting Timbren and discussing ideas with them, then move onto Sumo Springs if Timbren doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Thanks again.

BallstonSpaKW

Reaction score
I checked with Timbren and this is the message I got back from one of their engineers:

“our SES kits are designed to help the main suspension (air bags, leaf or coil) of the vehicle but not as a direct replacement of it.

I am not sure how long it can hold the weight of the entire truck but I don't recommend driving the truck with just the SES kit holding the weight.”.

So it looks like that idea, (along with the sumosprings) is out. It looks like I will need to pursue getting 1 or 2 RAM or other coil springs.

Any other ideas or part numbers of what would be needed to replace the air bag system temporarily. My truck has a payload rating of 3004 pounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread