Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experience with "roll up \ aluminum" type covers

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I traded trucks, went from a 20 SRW to a 22 DRW, I'll be pulling a 5th wheel with the new truck and want a good retractable bed cover, I'd like something I can keep closed part way to keep the front of the bed covered while towing and of coarse close to secure the bed when unhooked, what's every ones experienced with these type of covers and any recommendations?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8142[1].JPG
    IMG_8142[1].JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 25

Gear box

Reaction score
The bosses dually has the retrax system. He had me fix the install. The drain tubes had some issues of not staying in place fixed them. The track sticks up quite proud and has been caught and bent by gooseneck trailers off road had to replace the rails. The handle to push it opened can be quite difficult if your shorter around the fenders. And it doesn’t really get easier with use or break in. Difficult to remove and fix. They are a nice system if you can accept some of those real world downfalls.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I'm not a fan. If you live where it's cold, it will freeze shut or open. It sticks, the handle to close is a pain, don't be short either...
I'd recommend the fas-top you get the benefit of a cover and the canopy

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Rudy35

Reaction score
I've got a BAK Revolver X2 Roll-up. Works well and is rugged and secure with the tailgate locked.

jenninr

Reaction score
I've got a BAK Revolver X2 Roll-up. Works well and is rugged and secure with the tailgate locked.
If they made this model with the T slot tracks like they do for the Gladiator I think it would be the ideal cover for me. You can add brackets from another company to add T slots but it looks like it introduces gaps where you'd have leaks.

Gus

Reaction score
If they made this model with the T slot tracks like they do for the Gladiator I think it would be the ideal cover for me. You can add brackets from another company to add T slots but it looks like it introduces gaps where you'd have leaks.

I have the BAK roller and have had to replace it once a year for the last 4 years. Glue fails, every time. I live in SoCal so it’s not outrageously hot. I love the cover, if it didn’t fail all the time. But probably going to a folding cover the next time it fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAT3500

Reaction score
roll n lock works good for me!
Ditto for me.
Mine is about 3 years old now and still going strong. The only issue for me is that i live in a wooded area and every few months in the fall and winter you have remove the canister cover to clean the drains.

Oneday997

Reaction score
Retrax Pro here. Love it. No real issues. The lock mechanisim gets a little sticky if both sides of the track aren't totally even, but that's it. Haven't had any issues with it in the cold/snow. Fairly water tight - some water does come in from the tailgate, but I'm sure it could be sealed up with some rubbing weather stripping if you wanted to. Quality product. Worth the money imo. Have had toppers on past truck and each has their pros and cons.

Chuck754

Reaction score
Glue fails, every time. I live in SoCal so it’s not outrageously hot.
I had that issue with my BAK Revolver roll up-where the black nylon fabric fell off during hot weather. I just ordered another one from Real Truck and was pleasantly surprised that they have upgraded the fabric to a black rubber that is fixed to the aluminum slots underneath which will solve my issue.
image.jpg
I like this tonneau cover because I can make it completely water right with silicone seal and it’s a simple, quick close yet also easy to open the bed up.

Thinking about the original thread, I believe a tonneau cover with sections that fasten open on the last section might be more practical than the roll type-unless a stop and fastener could be engineered.

Gus

Reaction score
I had that issue with my BAK Revolver roll up-where the black nylon fabric fell off during hot weather. I just ordered another one from Real Truck and was pleasantly surprised that they have upgraded the fabric to a black rubber that is fixed to the aluminum slots underneath which will solve my issue.
View attachment 48728
I like this tonneau cover because I can make it completely water right with silicone seal and it’s a simple, quick close yet also easy to open the bed up.

Thinking about the original thread, I believe a tonneau cover with sections that fasten open on the last section might be more practical than the roll type-unless a stop and fastener could be engineered.

That happened to the first one. Now I have the same one as you. What happens is the edge that is tucked under where the tailgate, is comes loose and it releases the vinyl from the aluminum.

Chuck754

Reaction score
What happens is the edge that is tucked under where the tailgate, is comes loose and it releases the vinyl from the aluminum.
Got it. Thanks for the heads up-I’ll keep an eye out for the vinyl to lift. They apparently need to use a different glue or more of it because I noticed their logo on top of the vinyl is coming off my week old cover. I hope that’s not a sign of things to come!

Gus

Reaction score
I have asked them to just send me a flip cover as a warranty replacement, they said we can’t. I talked to a manager he said if it happens again he can give me half off another cover. I have installed I think 4 now, 3 replacements. It would have been cheeper for them to just send me a flip cover and send me on my way out on my way.

To be fair to them their customer service has been great. They replace it every time. They are responsive. I think it’s just a bad choice of combination of materials and glue as you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread