Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experience with 2500 and factory air ride

Formerorange

Reaction score
Hello, looking at a 2022 2500 that is about to arrive at a local dealer and it has the factory air ride suspension. Curious to hear from those who have it If they would buy it again. I'm towing a 12k 33 foot travel trailer toy hauler that has 1700 pound tounge load. Anyone use this suspension with similar loads?

Thanks for the input.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Most people share the opinion that the 2500 isn't cut out for towing things like that due to either the low payload with the diesel, or the lack of power with the Hemi. 1700 lbs on the tongue is gonna be a whole different animal than 1700 lbs in the bed via a gooseneck/5er. The air suspension should help but IMO a TT that large is in 3500 territory.

Darkside

Reaction score
I have a 2500 CCLB and very happy with my air suspension, didn’t realize how nice it would be until I used it for the first time. The 2500 actually lets you use the bed lowering mode unloaded, super helpful while hooking up and unhooking trailers. I still used a WDH with my TT just to put a few pounds back on the front axle, but my 14K equipment trailer was a regular hitch. Absolutely no need for a 3500 with a 12K trailer, not everyone wants to deal with the added hassle and cost to have a truck over 10K GVW!!!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I dont have the bags but i hear they work well i have towed many park models with around 1700 tongue weight and i had no issues towing them no WDH. Its all about how the trailer tows i would try it with a standard hitch before going out and blowing big bux on a WDH you may be more inclined to use a WDH with that tongue load though if you travel far or over lots of rough roads

jsalbre

Reaction score
Most people share the opinion that the 2500 isn't cut out for towing things like that due to either the low payload with the diesel, or the lack of power with the Hemi. 1700 lbs on the tongue is gonna be a whole different animal than 1700 lbs in the bed via a gooseneck/5er. The air suspension should help but IMO a TT that large is in 3500 territory.
The Hemi has no problem moving weights like that at the speed limit even in the mountain west. Unless you’re towing heavy every day the Hemi is fine for that weight.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The Hemi has no problem moving weights like that at the speed limit even in the mountain west. Unless you’re towing heavy every day the Hemi is fine for that weight.
I’ve got a Hemi. Yes it can move it. I’ll tell you I wouldn’t want to very often with it though especially through the mountains in my area. I’d be getting the Cummins if I had that need. Weight, altitude, wind resistance, etc all point to the diesel.

Ram25002021

Reaction score
I have a ‘21 2500 CTD with the factory air. It works excellent! I tow a travel trailer and like how the truck levels out with the air bags. I like the slightly softer ride when unloaded. Would definitely order again!

Formerorange

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast input. I had a 2019 2500 with the hemi and 3.73 rear-end. Pulled same trailer very well with only a few inches of sag. Through the hills of PA and all the way from upstate NY to Maine. Cummins would be nice bit the extra $, low payload on the 2500 and modern diesel issues prefer gas for daily driving. Using f250 7.3 gas with timberlins now. Pulls great but just don't love the truck, looking to back to ram, was a nicer daily driver. I plan on sticking with my current wd hitch to push the wieght up front and to help with sway. Main concern with the air was reliability and unloaded ride. Thanks again.

jebruns

Reaction score
I have a ‘21 2500 CTD with the factory air. It works excellent! I tow a travel trailer and like how the truck levels out with the air bags. I like the slightly softer ride when unloaded. Would definitely order again!
Same here. Mine is an 18 2500, but I really like the air suspension for both towing and especially for non-towing. Rides very well. I have a 22 on order, and you can bet it has the air suspension also. You read about a lot of issues with the 1500's 4 corner air suspension, especially up north in the winter. But the HD rear only system seems FAR more reliable.

Jsboening

Reaction score
2022 mega hemi with air suspension. I love it. It’s really nice to be able to lower the bed for getting things in and out. I’d say it drops the bed around 3”s or so. Rides really nice and who would ever complain able it self leveling. I’d absolutely get it again. Oh and the alt ride height is nice if you need the tow with the rear slightly lower.

jebruns

Reaction score
Alternate ride height on my 2500 says 1" lower in the owners manual. Seems accurate on my truck. I've measured it on mine, when setting up my hitch.

Jsboening

Reaction score
Alternate ride height on my 2500 says 1" lower in the owners manual. Seems accurate on my truck. I've measured it on mine, when setting up my hitch.
Doesn’t yours have a bed lowering option? I have alt ride height and bed lowering.

jebruns

Reaction score
Doesn’t yours have a bed lowering option? I have alt ride height and bed lowering.
No, mine is an HD, so just has the Alt Ride Height. I assume yours is a 1500?

I hooked up my trailer yesterday with my WD hitch. When I got done, and with the truck not running, the hitch was pretty low. Just remote started the truck and it raised it up to level in a few seconds. Always cool to watch. In that case, it was more than an inch because the truck was not running when hitched. I have about 1000lbs of tongue weight.

Darkside

Reaction score

I hooked up my trailer yesterday with my WD hitch. When I got done, and with the truck not running, the hitch was pretty low. Just remote started the truck and it raised it up to level in a few seconds. Always cool to watch. In that case, it was more than an inch because the truck was not running when hitched. I have about 1000lbs of tongue weight.
All HDs with rear air have bed lowering, you have to go to your apps to select it, it’s not on a button. The 3500 won’t work without a good amount of weight in the bed though.

Jsboening

Reaction score

No it’s a 2500. I have the alt ride height switch, but You can also use bed lowering through the info screen. Lowers a lot more than alt ride height. Great for loading/unloading. I also use it for getting under the trailer tongue and connecting the ball from my seat.

jebruns

Reaction score
I'll have to give it a try. It would be nice to get it a little lower for loading the dirt bike.

Dave01

Reaction score
Just bought a '21 2500 6.4 a week ago, has the factory air bags. Funny, it wasn't a feature I was looking for, but now that I have it I really like it. Already used alt trailer height for a trailer that has a beaver tail and needs to ride hitch low, then used it to just make it a bit easier to load kayaks into the bed.

Formerorange

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. One question I recently thought of is what is the tongue weight those with the air suspension have put onto the system? Thanks again for the help...still waiting for the trucks to arrive at the dealer!

Dave01

Reaction score
The trailer I pulled is about 7,500 lbs. loaded, I don't know exact tongue weight but I'd guess at 500-550 lbs.

jebruns

Reaction score
I have put up to 1100lbs of tongue weight on mine. Air suspension brings it right up. I'm usually alone when towing that trailer, so I am still under 10k for the 2500 truck.

Users who are viewing this thread