Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expedition One Front Bumper

Wrayzor

Reaction score
I almost I would have gotten this one over the AEV bumper as their hoops are welded on and not bolted on with a button head bolt. Still prefer the AEV for looks and fit for the truck, but think the Expedition One is more sturdy and can take a harder impact.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
The thing I really like about the Expedition bumper is it doesn’t stick out so far from the truck. Most aftermarket bumpers look like they’re not planned to follow the lines of the truck.

A couple things I’m concerned about:
1. Is will the sensors work as well being that much higher.
2. Will it have a drastic affect on MPG since more air is going to go under the it vs stock bumper.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I've not seen any guys here running that front bumper, but I'm currently leaning towards it. If you do a search on the expo portal forums you'll find some posts about this bumper. It seems as if some of their early coatings weren't done very well by whatever company they contracted out to do it, and resulted in flaking, poor application, rust, etc. There were a few pages of back and forth between buyers and the owner/contact of the company hashing stuff out. It seems like Expedition one made a good attempt at fixing the issue, but not everyone was thrilled.

I know there have been some discussions about sensors not working in the rear due to spare tire, but it seems as if modern sensors are better suited than previous gen ones and seem to be ok, but it's also likely a case by case basis in the rear. I hadn't heard anything about sensors in the front struggling, but YMMV.

I wouldn't think it would be great for MPG, but neither is weight, lift, larger tires, etc. You've also got 4.10s judging from your sig, so MPG is prob already an issue with you. I wouldn't expect the bumper to really hurt much, maybe 0.5mpg at most, but who knows. I wouldn't think there would be any difference in MPG between this bumper and the AEV one, for what it's worth. You're slapping a bunch of stuff on the front of the truck, any differences won't be reproducible outside a lab setting.

On the plus side, Expedition One currently has an early black friday discount of 20-25%, so that's some extra savings.

For whatever it's worth, I'm currently actively debating between the AEV front bumper and the Expo 1. The price of the Expo 1 bumper as I've speced it, with discount, is $2727.98 + ship. Spec is XD bullbar hoops, and black powder coat. Regular hoops are $250 cheaper.

AEV front bumper with full guard is $4112. So almost $1400 more than the Expo 1.

I think the AEV front bumper looks awesome with 40s, but without the 40s I don't love the look personally. You get better approach angle with the Expo 1 bumper, but realistically that's not a concern for most.

There are other front bumpers out there as well, Chassis Unlimited makes some without the guard, and recently made one with a guard. Fab Fours also makes some, but since you mentioned proportions I won't even link them. Same goes for road armor and ranch hand.

I don't know if this rambling helps or not, but hopefully.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I thought of another concern. The factory bumper creates a negative pressure area behind it that help air flow through the engine compartment.

Will the lack of this negative pressure area cause cooling issues if towing heavy?

Has anyone with an after market bumper noticed a increase in coolant temperatures?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I thought of another concern. The factory bumper creates a negative pressure area behind it that help air flow through the engine compartment.

Will the lack of this negative pressure area cause cooling issues if towing heavy?

Has anyone with an after market bumper noticed a increase in coolant temperatures?
I can't speak directly, but the guys at Diesel Power Products have created a few Ram HD trucks with the AEV front bumper, and have noted towing pretty heavy with both without any issues. (youtube video 1, youtube video 2)

I don't know what sort of testing Expo does, but considering how closely AEV works with OEMs, I'd be blown away if there were any notable negative effects on cooling or engine performance with their bumper.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I've not seen any guys here running that front bumper, but I'm currently leaning towards it. If you do a search on the expo portal forums you'll find some posts about this bumper. It seems as if some of their early coatings weren't done very well by whatever company they contracted out to do it, and resulted in flaking, poor application, rust, etc. There were a few pages of back and forth between buyers and the owner/contact of the company hashing stuff out. It seems like Expedition one made a good attempt at fixing the issue, but not everyone was thrilled.

I know there have been some discussions about sensors not working in the rear due to spare tire, but it seems as if modern sensors are better suited than previous gen ones and seem to be ok, but it's also likely a case by case basis in the rear. I hadn't heard anything about sensors in the front struggling, but YMMV.

I wouldn't think it would be great for MPG, but neither is weight, lift, larger tires, etc. You've also got 4.10s judging from your sig, so MPG is prob already an issue with you. I wouldn't expect the bumper to really hurt much, maybe 0.5mpg at most, but who knows. I wouldn't think there would be any difference in MPG between this bumper and the AEV one, for what it's worth. You're slapping a bunch of stuff on the front of the truck, any differences won't be reproducible outside a lab setting.

On the plus side, Expedition One currently has an early black friday discount of 20-25%, so that's some extra savings.

For whatever it's worth, I'm currently actively debating between the AEV front bumper and the Expo 1. The price of the Expo 1 bumper as I've speced it, with discount, is $2727.98 + ship. Spec is XD bullbar hoops, and black powder coat. Regular hoops are $250 cheaper.

AEV front bumper with full guard is $4112. So almost $1400 more than the Expo 1.

I think the AEV front bumper looks awesome with 40s, but without the 40s I don't love the look personally. You get better approach angle with the Expo 1 bumper, but realistically that's not a concern for most.

There are other front bumpers out there as well, Chassis Unlimited makes some without the guard, and recently made one with a guard. Fab Fours also makes some, but since you mentioned proportions I won't even link them. Same goes for road armor and ranch hand.

I don't know if this rambling helps or not, but hopefully.
I am concerned with MPG as my 6.4 gets good mileage that I like.

UglyViking

Reaction score
If you're concerned
I am concerned with MPG as my 6.4 gets good mileage that I like.
With mpg, then I'd seriously consider every pound you're adding to the truck, and every piece that makes it less aerodynamic.

That said, going from 35s to 37s is likely gonna affect mpg much more than a front bumper. If I were you, and had the hemi, I'd put the power wagon winch mount, a nice 12k winch, and then some streamlined lights on the bumper and be done.

That's me

dieselscout80

Reaction score
If you're concerned

With mpg, then I'd seriously consider every pound you're adding to the truck, and every piece that makes it less aerodynamic.

That said, going from 35s to 37s is likely gonna affect mpg much more than a front bumper. If I were you, and had the hemi, I'd put the power wagon winch mount, a nice 12k winch, and then some streamlined lights on the bumper and be done.

That's me
I’m running stock sized tires.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I ordered a front bumper on the 6th of December 2022 when they were having a 20% off sale for the holidays. From the time I added the bumper to cart till the time I got the confirmation email, the lead time went from around 10-14 weeks to 14-20 weeks. Pretty big bummer, but I already came this far, what's another few weeks wait. (I received it in 22 weeks)

First, let's talk about why I bought the bumper, and why Expo One. I wanted a front bumper primarily for a winch. I went back and forth between the AEV and the Expo One for quite some time. I decided that I'd go with AEV if I went with 40s and I'd do the Expo if I stuck under 40s. After a lot of back and forth, I decided that I'd keep it under 40s for a number of reasons so I did the Expo one. Call me what you want, I'm building a poser wagon and I wanna be the baddest diesel wagon at the mall…

Ok, so with that out of the way, lets talk about the process waiting for your new $3,000+ dollar bumper. It sucks.

1. Send the money
You pay for your stuff through their website. Now is a good time to mention they have 2 websites, a product sales website where you buy the bumper, and a product information site, where you can read about their products. They are far too small a company to justify having this style of website, and additionally, both are pretty bad to navigate.

2. Confirm you got your order correct
They send you an email confirmation with your order. It's relatively straight forward, but I'd recommend to Expo that they should format their parts list better, as it's a bit of a challenge as a buyer to understand if the details in the email match 1:1 with the details in your order online. It's not rocket science, but it's a large sum of money and the wait is long, so I'd like to be more confident in knowing that I indeed am signing "ok" to the right stuff.

Here is where some of the real trouble starts. You get a "Welcome to the team" letter that could be better laid out to really make you feel like you're getting something special, but I'm just being extremely picky here. I'm not saying it's a requirement, I'm just saying that if you're going to position yourself like this as a company, you need to follow through, otherwise just send me some information. Ok, again, I'm being overly picky here.

Anyway, that welcome letter contains the line "Automated updates will be provided as your order moves through the fabrication process." and both in that letter and as a separate attachment you receive the below image.
Fabrication Stages.jpg

My assumption is that I'd get email updates throughout this process, but that is not the case. You get a confirmation email for your purchase (where you confirm), an email when it heads to powder coating, an email when it heads to shipping. Again, my wait time was 5 months, and I have thousands of dollars invested at this point, I'd have liked some better tracking along the way.

I followed up about 6 weeks later to get a sense of how things were progressing, and was informed "We are currently on track for your estimated lead time!". After that I decided to let things ride until 20 weeks.

In total, I waited 16 weeks between the confirmation of the purchase till the next email, not including the email I initiated as a check in.

3. Receive confirmation it is built
I received the following confirmation about 16 weeks after the initial confirmation email. The email stating fab complete, heading to powder. Sweet! Should be coming soon then! I waited just under 1 month between receiving the "fab complete" email and the shipping confirmation email.

4. Receive confirmation of shipping
So I receive the email that informs me my bumper has finally shipped! Right at the 20 week mark I get that fantastic email. Here is the important part of the email:
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 6.19.00 PM.png

A malformed email, missing text in certain areas. The important part of the email is that the shipping company they used (MME) is not one of the ones listed in the email links below. This took me a few days to catch onto as I didn't have any clue what MME was. So finally, I go through the MME website to track, and it says I should receive it by end of the week, exciting and surprsing! However, I don't receive it end of the week. The location of drop off keeps changing, from NJ to FL to IL to TX, and then I get an email confirmation from MME that the bumper has been delivered!

I run outside and see nothing, I check again, and it shows delivered to some location outside Odessa Texas, not remotely close to where this Yankee lives…

I call up MME and then inform me I'm outside their carrier range… only after some prodding do they inform me there is another carrier picking it up for delivery. This time Estes is doing the delivery. Estes doesn't have any "email me updates" form that I can find, so I checked the website for a few days, and then gave up assuming that since Estes listed MA as the final destination there would be another driver to take it up to me in NH. Estes had a range of about 2 weeks for delivery, so I gave up and waited…

6. Shipping company randomly shows up without notice
Ok, so about 2 weeks after the initial email from Expo, and about a week after my phone call with MME, I hear my wife say "there is a big box truck outside", which I then realize is likely my bumper (or the ATF raiding my house because they know I've got 2 dogs and dislike government overreach). One of the big benefits of working from home, you're always around for deliveries!

I run out of the house to meet him right in time for him to roll the door up and see the bumper is not in any sort of box, but rather half covered in plastic, resting on a pallet without a single strap keeping it from falling over. A strap or two would have helped, since when he opened the door it had fallen over at some point and he rushed inside to pick it back up and wipe the freshly damaged front end up.

He manages to get it off the truck (hitting it a few more times in the process while attempting not to), and we get it in front of my garage.

I take a bunch of photos to note the damage, and argue with the delivery driver about my options for a few minutes. He tells me the options are to refuse the delivery, or sign and accept, there is no area to note damages (editors note: there is, I found a spot). He then gives me the push to just sign saying "if you refuse the delivery, it will prob take them another 2 weeks to get you a replacement". I corrected him to inform him I've been waiting about 6 months for this bumper, and I won't be paying full price for a used bumper.

There are a bunch of light surface level scratches, and a few deeper gouges. There are enough of them, and deep enough that it appears a pretty easy argument that it should be stripped and recoated.

Outside the damage that appears to be from shipping, there are two areas where the powder coating just didn't adhere to the bumper. It appears as they didn't do any sort of etching at all, so I'm pretty nervous that after a few years the early flaking that is happening on the short edges is going to continue to get worse, and any hit on a rock or anything may result in a lot of peeling. There are also 2 visible spots where it looks like there were letters in the powder coating or something. Not sure how to describe it. I've linked a few of the pictures of the damage at the bottom of this post for folks interested.

There also was one side of the bumper that had a full weld across a connector, top and bottom, and the other side showed it tack welded with 2 little beads. I need to confirm with them if this is structural or not, and if it is, then at least that area needs to be stripped and welded.

My initial inspection seems to indicate that the damage is cosmetic and not functional in nature (outside the one area mentioned above), so I list the damage as well as I could, make a bunch of notes and pictures, and sign off. I then had to run back inside for a full day of meetings.

7. Contact Expo about the damage
Here is where my real annoyance kicks in. A few hours later I call Expo to inform them of my issue. I called just before 5pm EST, and since they are mountain time, it was about 3pm their time. No call back…

Ok, no big deal, they are probably busy. The next morning I send an email at 8:40am EST with information, including my name, contact info, invoice number, and a link to a google drive with photos, including a photo of my delivery slip with damage indicated.

I have meetings all day but again I work from home so I can check my email whenever and have my phone right in front of me. Outside of 2 telemarketers that got me, no calls. So I call back just after 5pm my time, still goes to voicemail. Even trying a different line, voicemail.

I send a follow up email and even try FB messenger, still nothing.

So as of this moment, the bumper was delivered about 33 or so hours ago, haven't been able to reach Expo about the bumper as of yet, and it is still sitting on the pallet.

To follow up
I will update this thread as things progress, both with what Expedition One attempts as a solution, and what we end up with. There appear to be corners cut that I'm not thrilled with. The seeming lack of etching on the metal scare me living in salty new england. The fact that the bumper arrived damaged is a bummer, but more than that the missed welds and current struggle getting them to return my contact is a bit annoying.

[I'll post some photos later. I tried to post during the initial write up but landed on some 10k char limit bug]

UglyViking

Reaction score
UPDATE
As if the gods of irony are watching me directly, Expo responded to my email while I was writing this post.

Apparently CS will bring my issue to that of "upper management" and the freight company on Friday. I was told to hold off on installing the bumper until I hear further. I don't expect to hear anything end of day Friday, but maybe they will surprise me.

I'll follow up with pictures and response later. I'm currently cautiously optimistic, perhaps just hopeful.

Jacob

Reaction score
One of the better looking bumpers for these trucks. Sounds like a sucky ordeal.

Jacob

Reaction score
For $3k they should put it in some kinda crate.

Darkone

Reaction score
Wow…. For such a wait I would expect better. Hopefully they make it right for you. I know their bumper was on my short list for my truck but that may change with how this ordeal turns out.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Wow. I hope you end up extremely happy with it after all this. It definitely looks like a great option

The AEV process was near flawless. Got the email it was “now available” and ordered it immediately. Paid online. They called me and told me that their website was incorrect showing ground shipping ($x) but they were covering the freight difference ($xxx) and just letting me know to expect freight shipping. understandable for a product that just hit the website that day (the bumper was previously only available on prospector upfits prior to being available to everybody because demand exceeded supply)

Couple days later I Got tracking number and a phone call from FedEx freight. Couple days later the Driver called me on his way to my house, I opened the garage for him remotely and he put both pallets in my garage and I closed it remotely.

Also. during the process, I was unable to obtain a warn 16.5ti due to covid which is what mounting kit I had ordered. AEV helped me locate a suitable winch through their contacts and sent me the correct mounting kit for the M12s and it arrived at the same time as the bumper.

Wrayzor

Reaction score
That's a long post just to say you should have went with AEV, LOL. Seriously that does suck with the wait to get an ill packaged product. My AEV came extremely well packaged on a pallet with zero issues and I’m just 3 weeks off placing my order. Hope you get it resolved quickly.

44Dan44

Reaction score
UPDATE
As if the gods of irony are watching me directly, Expo responded to my email while I was writing this post.

Apparently CS will bring my issue to that of "upper management" and the freight company on Friday. I was told to hold off on installing the bumper until I hear further. I don't expect to hear anything end of day Friday, but maybe they will surprise me.

I'll follow up with pictures and response later. I'm currently cautiously optimistic, perhaps just hopeful.
What a bad deal. The price is irrelevant, ordering something, it taking a long time and then it comes damaged, and it really doesn't matter how damaged in my eyes, you paid for new. Very irksome.
Now is when the price really gnaws at a person, with damage, craptastic customer service so far, it "feels" more expensive by the day. The phrase "they will bring your issue to upper management AND the freight company" already stinks like passing the buck.
I appreciate you sharing your experience, I hope you are made whole shortly.
To Expo: Today you earn your reputation as a company, for better or worse.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Warning, picture heavy post! - Update with pictures
This post is going to contain all the photos I took during my inspection of the unit. I'll add annotations above a few of the pictures for things I thought were interesting. I posted a handful as thumbnails of what I consider "less interesting" damage.

This is as it arrived, more or less. The plastic was not removed for inspection, it was simply only half on and took only me tugging on it to remove. I couldn't get a picture of it on the truck, but when the delivery driver opened the door, it was lying on its face, and the driver gave the "oh $*@&" and ran over to pick it up and dust it off. Again, notice that there is not a single strap, cardboard "bumper" around the hard corners, anything. I'm actually honestly surprised the damage isn't worse with how it was packaged.
IMG_20230509_114131_742.jpg

Various areas of damage around the bars. The bars seem very heavy duty, and none appear to be bent, but it won't be obvious till it's on the truck, so fingers crossed!
IMG_20230509_114147_066.jpgIMG_20230509_114137_466.jpgIMG_20230509_114140_061.jpgIMG_20230509_114200_145.jpgIMG_20230509_114151_982.jpgIMG_20230509_114210_477.jpg

This is functionally the "face" of the bumper, and you can see down towards the bottom, there is a lot of damage to the coating, some rather deep scratches that I'm not sure how much they will buff out.
IMG_20230509_114215_675.jpg

These are the inside mounting points of the bumper. I'm not sure what the white/grey residue is, but it's the same on both sides. I wonder if it was mounted to something that was removed by one of the freight companies?
IMG_20230509_114226_051.jpgIMG_20230509_114233_189.jpg

Pictures continue in next post.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Warning, picture heavy thread continues!
This is the bottom pass side of the bumper. I eventually rolled it slightly over after setting a blanket down (I don't know why I even bothered with the blanket to be honest).

As you can see, there is some light surface rust appearing.
IMG_20230509_114849_569.jpg

This is the bottom pass side. Again, the damage is pretty obvious
IMG_20230509_164930_696.jpg

Various damage to the front of the bumper. Some are deeper than others, but most look to be surface level.
IMG_20230509_164935_094.jpgIMG_20230509_164940_571.jpgIMG_20230509_164943_344.jpgIMG_20230509_164957_280.jpg

One more post with pictures and responses…

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_114251_116.jpg
    IMG_20230509_114251_116.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230509_114242_733.jpg
    IMG_20230509_114242_733.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread