Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected MPG: 6.4/3.73

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I was thinking with the 8 speed I would at least see at least 14-14.5mpg. And I'm babying this thing.

900 mile pull this weekend...any chance that I see 8mpg?
I’ve had my truck 2 years, I’ve got 18,000 miles on it, about 1/4 of those are towing miles. I felt like my mpg got a little better after the first oil change at 5k miles.

Not towing, I get 12-13 around town with short highway runs. Best I’ve ever seen I filled up, reset, and jumped on the interstate I got 17.9 from Atlanta to Hilton head. Never saw that again lol. Mine is usually in the mid 12s average on the screen

Depends on what you’re towing. Keep it under 65 mph. I get 10 mpg towing my rock crawler (6500lb w trailer) 12 mpg towing my Porsche (4600lb w trailer) if I run 70+ I can dip into the single digits

raven_dt

Reaction score
No kidding. I've beaten 13.3 before, but only on flat highway when I'm not towing.
I've always considered myself a Dodge/Ram guy. Owned 4 over the past 13 years. Ram needs a purpose built big block truck engine to compete with the 7.3. My 2020 7.3 consistently got 15mpg and I flogged the hell out of it. Low end torque that pulled HARD to redline. The transmission was garbage though. My Big Horn is nicer than my SD but you buy a HD to work, at least I do. I knew that I would be down on power with the 6.4 v 7.3 but I thought that at least the fuel mileage would be a wash. End of belly aching.

raven_dt

Reaction score
It’s easy to research how many mpg something gets before you buy it. Idc how many mpgs a Ford gets. Been there done that. No thanks on a Ford here
I did the research, I was also the guy with a 4wd 1500 5.7/3.92 that consistently got 17mpg and wondered how people were only reporting getting 13-14mpg with the same configuration.
I don't want this to devolve into a Ram v Ford flame fest. My point is Ram needs to build a truck specific big block gas engine to compete with the 7.3, no mds or auto stop/start. The 6.4 is a good engine adapted for truck use but not a truck engine. Less mpg and power from a smaller displacement engine? The rest of the platform deserves better.

Pronto

Reaction score
I've always considered myself a Dodge/Ram guy. Owned 4 over the past 13 years. Ram needs a purpose built big block truck engine to compete with the 7.3. My 2020 7.3 consistently got 15mpg and I flogged the hell out of it. Low end torque that pulled HARD to redline. The transmission was garbage though. My Big Horn is nicer than my SD but you buy a HD to work, at least I do. I knew that I would be down on power with the 6.4 v 7.3 but I thought that at least the fuel mileage would be a wash. End of belly aching.

I agree that Ram needs to put out an engine to compete with Ford's 7.3 but I wouldn't expect the mileage to be better. You got great mileage out of yours, when I looked at them it was pretty disappointing from what I read but I was focused on Tremor packaged 7.3's so YMMV. I was pretty happy to see double digits in my V10 Triton SD. But I also see people getting mileage out of the 6.4 that I don't understand, I guess I just have too much of a lead foot.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I’ve had my truck 2 years, I’ve got 18,000 miles on it, about 1/4 of those are towing miles. I felt like my mpg got a little better after the first oil change at 5k miles.

Not towing, I get 12-13 around town with short highway runs. Best I’ve ever seen I filled up, reset, and jumped on the interstate I got 17.9 from Atlanta to Hilton head. Never saw that again lol. Mine is usually in the mid 12s average on the screen

Depends on what you’re towing. Keep it under 65 mph. I get 10 mpg towing my rock crawler (6500lb w trailer) 12 mpg towing my Porsche (4600lb w trailer) if I run 70+ I can dip into the single digits
I typically tow at 65mph max, 6.5k TT. Picking up a new TT this weekend, 10k gross. We will see how she handles the new TT.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I agree that Ram needs to put out an engine to compete with Ford's 7.3 but I wouldn't expect the mileage to be better. You got great mileage out of yours, when I looked at them it was pretty disappointing from what I read but I was focused on Tremor packaged 7.3's so YMMV. I was pretty happy to see double digits in my V10 Triton SD. But I also see people getting mileage out of the 6.4 that I don't understand, I guess I just have too much of a lead foot.
I wouldnt mind seeing 13 mpg if I had the big block low end torque, but it seems like you have to wind the 6.4 up to get it moving...high rpms = less mpg.

The good thing is I don't have a DW asking me after I fill up what my mpg is currently. Then telling me 'I told you so', now that would be bad.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip up to the Madison, WI area from Tampa Bay... 4 adults (and at least 4 suitcases).
Kept it 80mph (except uphill where I'd try to keep it under 2K rpm).
Average MPG (both ways) was 14.5... not bad all things considering.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Last 2 tanks which amount to my “usual” day to day driving yielded 14.1 mpg and 13.5 mpg
374 miles/ 27.721 gallons
343 miles/24.395 gallons

I’ll get Fuelly added to my sig one of these days.

jadmt

Reaction score
just got back from a 1300 round trip trek from Missoula MT to Seaside Or. overall hand figured average was just over 15mpg. worst was 14.8mpg which was from Missoula to Ritzville 255 miles and 17.2 gallons. that was the only tank actually under 15mpg. 4.10's and 35's and speedo and odometer spot on both via gps and phone app and those 5 mile odometer checks along the way. the truck computer mpg is a bit optimistic. I took 26.2 gallons actual on this fill up. most fillups had about the same discrepancy.

983A7190-3B04-4162-9D0B-E8D3560C0A8B.jpeg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
just got back from a 1300 round trip trek from Missoula MT to Seaside Or. overall hand figured average was just over 15mpg. worst was 14.8mpg which was from Missoula to Ritzville 255 miles and 17.2 gallons. that was the only tank actually under 15mpg. 4.10's and 35's and speedo and odometer spot on both via gps and phone app and those 5 mile odometer checks along the way. the truck computer mpg is a bit optimistic. I took 26.2 gallons actual on this fill up. most fillups had about the same discrepancy.

What was your speed?

ddown

Reaction score
15K miles on my 2019 3500 w 4:10 14.8 for last 15K

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
15K miles on my 2019 3500 w 4:10 14.8 for last 15K
Unless you’re talking about hand calculations tabulated over the last 15k miles, I’d like to point out that The MPG on the resettable ODO is not accurate for the entirety of the trip even if it has never been reset.

I found this out because my brother was visiting and we ran off to do a wheelin day trip. We were towing the rig out to the park and during the ride he asked me how my truck does on fuel. I clicked over the the trip B which had never been reset for the 12k miles since new. It said AVG 10.3. I told him well **** I guess I’ve gotten 10.3 the whole time I’ve had this truck but I swore I got better than that.

That really had me scratching my head. A week later, long after dropping the trailer and doing a bunch more driving I clicked over the the “lifetime” trip B and it was now reading 13.8

So, it is an ongoing reading and at some point old data falls off (50mile? 100mile?)

jadmt

Reaction score
Unless you’re talking about hand calculations tabulated over the last 15k miles, I’d like to point out that The MPG on the resettable ODO is not accurate for the entirety of the trip even if it has never been reset.

I found this out because my brother was visiting and we ran off to do a wheelin day trip. We were towing the rig out to the park and during the ride he asked me how my truck does on fuel. I clicked over the the trip B which had never been reset for the 12k miles since new. It said AVG 10.3. I told him well **** I guess I’ve gotten 10.3 the whole time I’ve had this truck but I swore I got better than that.

That really had me scratching my head. A week later, long after dropping the trailer and doing a bunch more driving I clicked over the the “lifetime” trip B and it was now reading 13.8

So, it is an ongoing reading and at some point old data falls off (50mile? 100mile?)
yes I have read 500 miles but no way to confirm that. For me it seems less tho. I am weird and I hand figure every tank of gas. Miles driven by gallons put in. Do the TFL method after the pump clicks off wait 30 seconds and add some more until it clicks off again. seems about as consistent as I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread