Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust tip question

ianacole

Reaction score
I hate the raw pipe look for the 6.7L exhaust, and would like to clean it up. Poking around a bit there are a couple of options. So the question is: does doing something like the AFE DPF-back exhaust system provide any benefit to warrant spending the money on versus just putting on a bolt-on (black) exhaust tip and trimming back the stock exhaust pipe?

AFE product: https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...5-409-stainless-steel-dpf-back-exhaust-system

BUzzard

Reaction score
I hate the raw pipe look for the 6.7L exhaust, and would like to clean it up. Poking around a bit there are a couple of options. So the question is: does doing something like the AFE DPF-back exhaust system provide any benefit to warrant spending the money on versus just putting on a bolt-on (black) exhaust tip and trimming back the stock exhaust pipe?

AFE product: https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...5-409-stainless-steel-dpf-back-exhaust-system
I bought a black tip on Amazon about 6 mo ago (still holding up well). I cut the tailpipe shorter so the tip would be tucked under the truck more, and also painted the tailpipe with black high heat paint to give it a cleaner look... I haven’t seen any benefits to adding a DPF back exhaust...725BC27E-2DD3-4C54-9D04-CB873D88DD1E.jpeg

ianacole

Reaction score
I found your post while searching which got me to thinking about "just the tip." I like that you painted the pipe black as well. How much did you cut off the stock pipe?

AndreDW

Reaction score
I bought a black tip on Amazon about 6 mo ago (still holding up well). I cut the tailpipe shorter so the tip would be tucked under the truck more, and also painted the tailpipe with black high heat paint to give it a cleaner look... I haven’t seen any benefits to adding a DPF back exhaust...
That looks great! I've been looking to do something similar on my truck, which Amazon exhaust tip did you go with?

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I just painted with hightemp black factory exhaust tip, looks way better than factory(i have a NE so no bare metal or plastichrome)and i know it will outlive that tip, can touch up when i want. This is critical: just the tip!

BUzzard

Reaction score
I found your post while searching which got me to thinking about "just the tip." I like that you painted the pipe black as well. How much did you cut off the stock pipe?
I probably cut 5-6 in off. I wanted enough off so the tailpipe doesn’t show too much inside the tip...

BUzzard

Reaction score
That looks great! I've been looking to do something similar on my truck, which Amazon exhaust tip did you go with?
55B34094-EBAF-4E2A-A3A2-2746D68595D5.jpeg
This is the one I went with. It is holding up well so far with no chipping or anything. The truck doesn’t get driven a lot, so I’m not sure how it would look if I was running the miles up. I may buy a couple more to have on hand once this one doesn’t look good anymore...

ianacole

Reaction score
View attachment 9444
This is the one I went with. It is holding up well so far with no chipping or anything. The truck doesn’t get driven a lot, so I’m not sure how it would look if I was running the miles up. I may buy a couple more to have on hand once this one doesn’t look good anymore...
$30 bucks is hard to beat, even if it needs yearly replacing. Thanks!

Relentless

Reaction score
Apparently, the raw pipe can be fine sanded and polished if so inclined
d8b7f9b7fbd2eda613c667a6c4886ba9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread