Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust system service required

wrvond

Reaction score
Screenshot 2024-03-14 143630.jpg
My DPF gauge has shown 1/8 for "a while". I didn't check, but suspect I'm at, or close to, the 24 hour mark. No CEL.
My question is: Will going on a highway run clear this? I really don't want to mess with the dealer any more than I have to.

Units

Reaction score
Run the hwy at 75 for about 40 minutes, better yet hook up to a trailer and do the same. Not getting the engine up to operating temperature and stop and go kills the DPF.

**Disclaimer**
75 mph for -most but no all- typical trailer tires is above the maximum recommended speed rating.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 70534
My DPF gauge has shown 1/8 for "a while". I didn't check, but suspect I'm at, or close to, the 24 hour mark. No CEL.
My question is: Will going on a highway run clear this? I really don't want to mess with the dealer any more than I have to.
When the “exhaust system service required see dealer” message is present, it means that active regeneration cycles have been disabled because one of the systems involved in regeneration has a fault. So no, going on a highway run typically will not rectify that issue. Most often that message ends up being a fuel system fault. Quite often it’s fuel filters or rail pressure issues. Are you using OEM fuel filters from a reputable supplier?

wrvond

Reaction score
When the “exhaust system service required see dealer” message is present, it means that active regeneration cycles have been disabled because one of the systems involved in regeneration has a fault. So no, going on a highway run typically will not rectify that issue. Most often that message ends up being a fuel system fault. Quite often it’s fuel filters or rail pressure issues. Are you using OEM fuel filters from a reputable supplier?
Hi,
The truck only has 5600 miles on it so still has the factory filters. This occurred at 4800 miles and I did take it for a drive, it regenerated, the message cleared and hasn’t returned.
Thanks!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
The truck only has 5600 miles on it so still has the factory filters. This occurred at 4800 miles and I did take it for a drive, it regenerated, the message cleared and hasn’t returned.
Thanks!
That’s good. Might have just been a momentary issue thar resolved itself. These things can be temperamental at times. Once the diagnostics fail a time or two, you get messages and codes, and then it’ll rectify itself. I would keep an eye on it and see if it returns, if it does, since it’s so new, I would absolutely get it to a dealer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Run the hwy at 75 for about 40 minutes, better yet hook up to a trailer and do the same. Not getting the engine up to operating temperature and stop and go kills the DPF.
75 mph with a trailer? Most trailer tires are rated at 65-70 mph that is not great advice besides even at 50-55 with a trailer the system will get hot enough no need for high speeds

Units

Reaction score
75 mph with a trailer? Most trailer tires are rated at 65-70 mph that is not great advice besides even at 50-55 with a trailer the system will get hot enough no need for high speeds
I don’t have a way to monitor exhaust temps. I know what works for my truck and what doesn’t. Sure, 55 with my TT will clear it up. But I’m not hooking up to my TT every time, a real big PITA. I’ll grab my small flat bed and jump on the interstate, 15 - 20 minutes and back down to zero she goes. I don’t have an advice column for a reason, people can form their own opinion off of life experiences and or seeing what others are doing (forums). Take what someone says for what it’s worth, I never claimed to be an expert. Besides, you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread