Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Filter Full 2022 3500 HO

Ed60

Reaction score
I’m currently on a 2 month long road trip and just got the “Exhaust Filter Full Power Reduced See Dealer” message. Truck is a 2022 3500 HO, 40,000 miles. Has pulled a 10,000 pound trailer on highway for probably 85% of those miles.

After some research I’ve become aware of the recall to install the DPF sensor and module that is not currently installed on my truck. I did crawl under truck and confirmed, it isn’t installed.

At home I’d just not drive and schedule an appointment. Being on the road and a total lack of dealer support while traveling makes it tough to get addressed.

Any idea on how urgently this message needs to be addressed and is this message a result of the recall?

Jay P

Reaction score
The recall has nothing to do with your problem. The missing sensor is to check DPF efficiency and there is programing to go with it when the recall is completed. The sensor would be the equivalent of the post catalytic converter O2 sensor on a gas engine.
As for the DPF full issue you need to find someone to read the codes if any or find a dealer. I'm guessing there are codes since you have reduced power message and you can't force a stationary regen with active codes. If you have reduced power I would not want to tow with it. Need more info for more help.

Ed60

Reaction score
The recall has nothing to do with your problem. The missing sensor is to check DPF efficiency and there is programing to go with it when the recall is completed. The sensor would be the equivalent of the post catalytic converter O2 sensor on a gas engine.
As for the DPF full issue you need to find someone to read the codes if any or find a dealer. I'm guessing there are codes since you have reduced power message and you can't force a stationary regen with active codes. If you have reduced power I would not want to tow with it. Need more info for more help.
Thanks Jay P. I managed to find a dealer that can look at my truck in a couple days. I’ll post what they find.

Thorvald

Reaction score
I just went through this myself (DPF Full). If you have AlphaOBD and the bypass cable you can try a manual Regen but if the dealer has it (and it’s under warranty) might as well let them do the work first. If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere or something, then I’d try the manual Regen myself.

Cheers
Tim

Ed60

Reaction score
I just went through this myself (DPF Full). If you have AlphaOBD and the bypass cable you can try a manual Regen but if the dealer has it (and it’s under warranty) might as well let them do the work first. If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere or something, then I’d try the manual Regen myself.

Cheers
Tim
Thanks Tim. I just ordered the stuff to get the Alfa OBD up and running. So I’ll be prepared next time!

Ed60

Reaction score
Update. P242F-00 code. Dealer gonna replace pretty much entire system. Multiple Regens did not clear fault. They are currently searching for a converter. Part is showing backorder.

Pretty frustrated. Truck has been serviced according to schedule, 39,000 mostly highway miles pulling a 10,000 pound trailer. Not idled. 10w-30 oil and after some research and reading I have determined the dealer installed the 68517554AA air filter at 30k service.

Now stuck 2,000 miles from home on a cross country trip.

Last edited:

Thorvald

Reaction score
If you have access to the truck, pull the air filter and take some pics of the part number etc. There is a great thread on this and it was actually "appears" to be the cause of my problems (dirty and/or in-correct air filter).

In my case the dealer had to reset the regen (DPF) timers, which made the truck think it had a brand new DPF and then they were able to force a manual regen. They actually did a couple.

Of course once I drove it home it started filling and regening again but after swapping the air filter for the correct/clean one, I've had a good week and a good tow there and back, passive regen is working again it would seem.

Ed60

Reaction score
If you have access to the truck, pull the air filter and take some pics of the part number etc. There is a great thread on this and it was actually "appears" to be the cause of my problems (dirty and/or in-correct air filter).

In my case the dealer had to reset the regen (DPF) timers, which made the truck think it had a brand new DPF and then they were able to force a manual regen. They actually did a couple.

Of course once I drove it home it started filling and regening again but after swapping the air filter for the correct/clean one, I've had a good week and a good tow there and back, passive regen is working again it would seem.
Thanks, I’m about 5 hours away now. But I do have papers from last service with the part number on it. I’ll call dealer and that has it now and ask them to look into air filter.

Unbelievable I have to resort to a forum to get my truck going!

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Unbelievable I have to resort to a forum to get my truck going!
My theory: Prior to OBD systems mechanics had to know diagnosis. They had machines like Sun engine performance testers, but still had to know what to do with the data the machine was spitting out. Along comes obd and it’s plug into the computer, it gives you a code and you replace the offending part. OBD has been out for about 30 years give or take so the old school mechanics that knew diagnosis without a CEL are all but gone. There’s some new gen mechanics that know their stuff for sure but they are in high demand, and not as easy to find as a oil and lube guy that knows how to run a code scanner. Heck we see them all the time at auto zone pulling codes for customers. Even I can do it haha! With that said if there’s no code, there’s no problem in the eye of the modern day, incompetent tech.

Ed60

Reaction score
My theory: Prior to OBD systems mechanics had to know diagnosis. They had machines like Sun engine performance testers, but still had to know what to do with the data the machine was spitting out. Along comes obd and it’s plug into the computer, it gives you a code and you replace the offending part. OBD has been out for about 30 years give or take so the old school mechanics that knew diagnosis without a CEL are all but gone. There’s some new gen mechanics that know their stuff for sure but they are in high demand, and not as easy to find as a oil and lube guy that knows how to run a code scanner. Heck we see them all the time at auto zone pulling codes for customers. Even I can do it haha! With that said if there’s no code, there’s no problem in the eye of the modern day, incompetent tech.
100% and now I got a feeling I’m waiting on parts that I may or may not need.

They still can’t answer to me “why is the DPF clogged?” I’m more concerned with this.

flan

Reaction score
100% and now I got a feeling I’m waiting on parts that I may or may not need.

They still can’t answer to me “why is the DPF clogged?” I’m more concerned with this.
There’s a whole diagnostic flowchart to follow to answer that question, and if the good tech is out to lunch and the oil and lube guy steps over to work on your truck I wish you luck!

Ed60

Reaction score
Got my truck back from dealer. Took entirely to long to find parts, not the dealer’s fault… Ram still pumping out trucks but can’t get parts to customers in timely manner.

Dealer did numerous Regens and couldn’t clear code. DPF showed 11.0 grams DPF and required replacement, also found converter damage from DPF not working. Dealer replaced Converter, 4 sensors, and injector.

I had them do an oil change and requested they replace air filter with the AB filter. Found out as picking up no AB filter and AA is what Ram uses.

Never got a clear answer on why the system failed. I’m still not convinced the underlying problem has been addressed.

DPF was about 40% when picked up the truck, came down to 0 after about 20 miles and drove another 100 miles and back up to 40%. Watching closely at this point. Still 2000 miles from home and down the 2000 bucks that I had to rent a Heavy duty truck to keep on going.

Pretty disappointed with my 2022 HO. Stuff breaks I get it, but to have a system that clogs and no indication that it’s becoming a problem is problematic. Not a peep from Ram addressing all the problems with these 2022s DPF/REGEN issues.

I’m throwing in the towel on diesel when I get home. Ram tough???? Just be sure you get fuel at a good station, by def at a reliable place, don’t drive in the city to much, don’t idle to much, tow “heavy”, drive fast, anyone’s guess on correct air filter. WTF??? I can’t imagine trying to make a living with one of these trucks.

I will say the dealer did a great job making stuff happen and I am pleased with their service.

Rant over.

flan

Reaction score
some people have had luck getting reimbursed for rentals through ram care. Maybe some can chime in and give you some tips as to how to best approach that situation.

Ed60

Reaction score
some people have had luck getting reimbursed for rentals through ram care. Maybe some can chime in and give you some tips as to how to best approach that situation.
Thanks, I’ll look into that for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread