Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Brake

Wayniac85

Reaction score
Kinda likin' the sound of the exhaust brake on this truck. Any mods to get it louder than stock? Seems like the sound comes from the air-box.... Wonder if a guy could take a couple screws loose, prop something between the lid and base, then re-tighten the couple screws??

Warweasel

Reaction score
It's not so much of an exhaust brake as a reverse turbo brake. It produces RHP (reverse horsepower). On my 2016, from the research I had done, it was about 75 RHP. I found an add on somewhere that increased that to 150, but even though I tow a 16000 lb trailer, I don't tow all the time, so I didn't get it.

I had asked the same question on my earlier Rams. I've looked far and wide, but never found a solution to make it louder.

I have talked to several mechanics who recommend running it all the time, unless you're just cruising for long periods of time. When you come off the throttle, it fully deploys the vanes in the turbo, which keeps them able to go through their full range of articulation. Plus, it sounds cool.

Omarf4

Reaction score
There is an air silencer wrapped with foam in the duct work right in front of the turbo. So it’s in between the air box arm and the turbo. If you remove the foam or silencer, both the turbo and exhaust brake sound will be louder and more of a growl.

Lots of YouTube videos on the topic. You will get more of a low pitch whistling sound on the turbo when boost pressure is engaged.

jpaeth

Reaction score
There is an air silencer wrapped with foam in the duct work right in front of the turbo. So it’s in between the air box arm and the turbo. If you remove the foam or silencer, both the turbo and exhaust brake sound will be louder and more of a growl.

Lots of YouTube videos on the topic. You will get more of a low pitch whistling sound on the turbo when boost pressure is engaged.
That foam piece is not there anymore on the new Cummins in the '19s

Users who are viewing this thread