Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust brake not working while in cruise control since Y78 recall completed.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Ever since the Y78 recall was completed in 2023, the exhaust brake does not slow the truck down while in cruise control. This applies to either Full exhaust or Auto Exhaust brake. I have been back to the dealer 4-6 times and reflashes done etc to no avail.

Prior to the Y78 recall, it would slow the truck after exceeding the set speed by 2-3mph and increase the braking more up to and including downshifting to slow the truck. Nothing now. Can coast as fast and as long as the downhill is available.

Recently emailed the service guy who was helping me with the issue but received no response. Anyone heard of a fix for this issue ?

If I turn off cruise it will slow the truck etc, but not while cruise is activated...

flan

Reaction score
It should, my trucks EB works while in cruise.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
Ever since the Y78 recall was completed in 2023, the exhaust brake does not slow the truck down while in cruise control. This applies to either Full exhaust or Auto Exhaust brake. I have been back to the dealer 4-6 times and reflashes done etc to no avail.

Prior to the Y78 recall, it would slow the truck after exceeding the set speed by 2-3mph and increase the braking more up to and including downshifting to slow the truck. Nothing now. Can coast as fast and as long as the downhill is available.

Recently emailed the service guy who was helping me with the issue but received no response. Anyone heard of a fix for this issue ?

If I turn off cruise it will slow the truck etc, but not while cruise is activated...
My lack of knowledge showing here, but is there anyway to backup a current “tune” or “flash” or “memory configuration” or whatever you call it and restore it if a dealer “flash” creates problems? It seems that if it is possible for a dealer to upload a memory configuration that creates problems, it should be possible to upload the former memory configuration that didn’t have them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My lack of knowledge showing here, but is there anyway to backup a current “tune” or “flash” or “memory configuration” or whatever you call it and restore it if a dealer “flash” creates problems? It seems that if it is possible for a dealer to upload a memory configuration that creates problems, it should be possible to upload the former memory configuration that didn’t have them.
You would need a tuning device to Clone the ECM then restore the copy of the ECM if the system will allow you to flash an older ECM programming

Dodgeman

Reaction score
You would need a tuning device to Clone the ECM then restore the copy of the ECM if the system will allow you to flash an older ECM programming
So there is a possibility a new flash would not let you revert to an old copy? It could be a one-way street? I can see where reverting to an old copy could foul things up if hardware had been added or changed. It makes me a bit nervous having some of these recalls, that contain a dealer flash, done, given some of the experiences with things going down the porcelain fixture being reported here.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

We're sorry to hear that you're facing concerns post Y78 recall. If possible, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, and the dealership you last received service at. Our team would certainly like to look into this for you.

Chris,
Ram Cares

Jeeper93436

Reaction score

I am not familiar with the recall details but when I had my 2007 2500 with the 6.7. I had the ECM replaced at the dealer and my exhaust brake stopped working after the ECM replacement. It ended up that they couldn’t find the Exhaust brake disable/enable option in the factory scan tool. It could be a simple coding issue, I used a AUTEL scanner to change the Exhaust brake setting in the new ECM.

Users who are viewing this thread