Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust brake newbie

Norwood

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I tested as well with my '21 2500. Turned on TH and no EB at all. Left TH on for about 15 minutes of normal non-highway driving. Stopping, pulling out, braking, etc. Exhaust brake never engaged whatsoever. Light never came on. Inidicator on dash never came on. EB never activated. Downshifts were obviously more aggressive when going down hills but it was not due to any exhaust braking.
Do you think there is a difference in the way it works from a 2020 3500 dually and your 2021 2500.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see an AlfaOBD printout of Norwood's truck. See what is different.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Do you think there is a difference in the way it works from a 2020 3500 dually and your 2021 2500.
I have no idea. That being said, what I experienced yesterday with my '21 was exactly the same as I experienced with my previous truck - a '20 2500. Personally I have no explanation for why yours behaves the way it does. I do not believe it is supposed to.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I'd say that no matter than tranny, tow/haul should not automatically engage EB - period. To me that would be a real safety problem in the winter.

Norwood

Reaction score
I have no idea. That being said, what I experienced yesterday with my '21 was exactly the same as I experienced with my previous truck - a '20 2500. Personally I have no explanation for why yours behaves the way it does. I do not believe it is supposed to.
I have to make a trash run here in a bit, going to do it again and make sure the trans is not down shifting. Don't think it is but you people got me wondering what is going on.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have to make a trash run here in a bit, going to do it again and make sure the trans is not down shifting. Don't think it is but you people got me wondering what is going on.
First time I have had a truck with either tow haul or an exhaust brake. But, I have noticed that when I have tow haul on, when slowing down, once down to maybe under 30 mph, there is often what I feel as a sort of hard shift from the transmission. Very minor and does not do it when tow haul is off. But it is similar to what I feel when the exhaust brake cuts out when slowing down to under a certain speed. I am no expert at all with all of this and that is why I am considering something like the Banks iDash. So I can easily see what shifts are happening when, in or out of tow haul, and also see when the the torque converter unlocks and locks. So perhaps you are feeling one of the tow haul shifts? IF it was the exhaust brake, I think you would hear it? I do on my truck.

Norwood

Reaction score
First time I have had a truck with either tow haul or an exhaust brake. But, I have noticed that when I have tow haul on, when slowing down, once down to maybe under 30 mph, there is often what I feel as a sort of hard shift from the transmission. Very minor and does not do it when tow haul is off. But it is similar to what I feel when the exhaust brake cuts out when slowing down to under a certain speed. I am no expert at all with all of this and that is why I am considering something like the Banks iDash. So I can easily see what shifts are happening when, in or out of tow haul, and also see when the the torque converter unlocks and locks. So perhaps you are feeling one of the tow haul shifts? IF it was the exhaust brake, I think you would hear it? I do on my truck.
Will- T, you nailed it. Just got back and really checked it out, you were exactly right it was the aggressive down shift in T/H mode feels like the EB and that is what I thought it was all this time. DANG YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN GENIUSES thanks for all the help and advice from every one.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
If EB light doesn't come on, then there is no exhaust breaking. That should have been your clue.

Norwood

Reaction score
If EB light doesn't come on, then there is no exhaust breaking. That should have been your clue.
Yep, your right it is just a big difference in the way my 2006 2500 down shifted compared to the 3500 really felt like the EB.

Nd79

Reaction score
Yep, your right it is just a big difference in the way my 2006 2500 down shifted compared to the 3500 really felt like the EB.
Mine must just be "remembering last state" after a key cycle as far as exhaust brake goes. Makes sense, especially with my trailer still hooked up.

Users who are viewing this thread