Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust brake newbie

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I really appeciate this -- when I haul, its livestock. For DE to shift down, hard, could certainly be a risk to my horses if I'm not prepared for that!
I could see how it is a problem when houling lovestock. It wasn't a downshift that make it hard, it was a EB ectivating when I cruised down a mountain and my speed started increasing. I should mention that my EB was on Auto, which only activates when you press the breaks or your speed start going up while cruising (as it was in my case). Full EB would probably keep the speed more steady.
My trailer was a light weight so so that might have been the reason for such agressive breaking, heavier trailers would probably feel different, you just have to try and see what works for you.

Norwood

Reaction score
Hello, I was in the same boat you are in now. I had a 2006 2500 with the 5.9 it had a tow haul mode, but nothing like my 2020 3500 when you engage tow haul it will also engage exhaust brake. What really helped me was googling ram tow haul and exhaust brake, lots of good videos that really explain how it works and how to turn on. PLUS THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM they are awesome

Are you sure about that?

Mine does not engage EB when using TH (empty), have to check again with a trailer plugged in, that could be the secret sauce.

Norwood

Reaction score
Yeah, I was pulling a trailer, never engaged tow haul without towing. might not react the same. I'll try it next time I'm out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are you sure about that?

Mine does not engage EB when using TH (empty), have to check again with a trailer plugged in, that could be the secret sauce.
Not the case in my 19 i know for sure

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I really appeciate this -- when I haul, its livestock. For DE to shift down, hard, could certainly be a risk to my horses if I'm not prepared for that!

Use auto and it's no worse than service brakes and will make those last longer.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Use auto and it's no worse than service brakes and will make those last longer.
Traveling from AB to BC and back in the Summer last year I had plenty of time to play with the settings. Going down the steep grades Auto EB won't engage until your speed is xxx kms over your preset speed and when it does engage it tries to bring the speed down to that preset speed real quick, it was honestly too harsh... It didn't do that when I was NOT in TH. TH makes EB too agressive.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Traveling from AB to BC and back in the Summer last year I had plenty of time to play with the settings. Going down the steep grades Auto EB won't engage until your speed is xxx kms over your preset speed and when it does engage it tries to bring the speed down to that preset speed real quick, it was honestly too harsh... It didn't do that when I was NOT in TH. TH makes EB too agressive.

Right, Not tow haul. EB Auto.

Will_T

Reaction score
Interesting. I have not yet towed with the new truck but if I am understanding what is being recommended, it does not match what I have read before?

When towing and you crest a summit and anticipate needing to use the exhaust brake on the downhill side: Turn off tow haul and put the exhaust brake in "auto"? Then when the decline is finished, turn off the exhaust brake and turn tow haul back on? Or I suppose no harm in just leaving the exhaust brake in auto and tuning off tow haul for the declines and then back on?

Norwood

Reaction score
Interesting. I have not yet towed with the new truck but if I am understanding what is being recommended, it does not match what I have read before?

When towing and you crest a summit and anticipate needing to use the exhaust brake on the downhill side: Turn off tow haul and put the exhaust brake in "auto"? Then when the decline is finished, turn off the exhaust brake and turn tow haul back on? Or I suppose no harm in just leaving the exhaust brake in auto and tuning off tow haul for the declines and then back on?

Norwood

Reaction score
WHAT THE HAY!!! seems like every one has their own idea of how this EB / TH mode thing works. I think what ever works for you is good.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I think some are overthinking this.

With the exception of @SAJ who's hauling livestock/horses.

If you use ON or AUTO and cruise, the truck will maintain your speed using the EB and as needed, the trailer brakes if equipped.

If you want more aggressive downshifts, and/or later upshifts, use TH.

Some say TH locks out 6th gear and that's just not true. I can run in TH in 6th pulling 16K on the flats, it just downshifts more often so I usually reserve it for the big hills.

You may find the downhill shifts more abrupt if the speed is allowed to climb before it engages.

If you want more control using your right foot and gear lockout, use EB ON.

DIESEL EXHAUST BRAKE — ENGINE BRAKING (IF EQUIPPED)
The purpose of the exhaust brake (engine braking) feature is to supply negative (braking)
torque from the engine. Typically, the engine braking is used for, but not limited to, vehicle
towing applications where vehicle braking can be achieved by the internal engine power,
thereby sparing the mechanical brakes of the vehicle.

Benefits of the exhaust brake are:
 Vehicle driving control.​
 Reduced brake fade.​
 Longer brake life.​
 Faster cab warm-up.​

The exhaust brake feature will only function when the driver toggles it on by pushing the
exhaust brake button until the “Exhaust Brake Indicator” is illuminated. Normal (Full Strength)
exhaust brake mode is indicated by a yellow “Exhaust Brake Indicator”.

Once the “Exhaust Brake Indicator” is illuminated and the vehicle is moving faster than
5 mph (8 km/h); the exhaust brake will automatically operate when the driver removes
pressure from the accelerator pedal. Exhaust braking is most effective when the engine RPM
is higher. The automatic transmission will downshift more aggressively in TOW/HAUL mode
when the exhaust brake is enabled to increase brake performance.

Do not use the exhaust brake feature when driving in icy or slippery conditions as the
increased engine braking can cause the rear wheels to slide and the vehicle to swing
around with the possible loss of vehicle control, which may cause an accident
possibly resulting in personal injury or death.

NOTE:
For optimum braking power it is recommended to use the exhaust brake while in TOW/HAUL mode.
The exhaust brake feature can also be used to reduce the engine warm up time. To use the
exhaust brake as a warm-up device, the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 5 mph
(8 km/h), the "Exhaust Brake Indicator" must be on, and the coolant temperature must be below
180°F (82°C) and ambient temperature below 60°F (16°C).

Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake
Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake technology delivers smoother, less aggressive exhaust
braking characteristics during downhill descents.
Although it can apply full exhaust
braking force if needed, Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake may not apply obvious braking if
the vehicle speed is not increasing. Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake is intended to maintain
vehicle speed, while Full Exhaust Brake is intended to reduce vehicle speed.

Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake can be enabled by pushing the exhaust brake button
(on the center stack) again anytime after the normal Full Exhaust Brake has been turned on.
The “Exhaust Brake Indicator” in the instrument cluster display will change from Yellow to Green
when Automatic “Smart” Exhaust Brake is enabled. Pushing the exhaust brake button
again will toggle the exhaust brake mode to off.

Wmhjr

Reaction score

FWIW, I also frequently pull a 3 horse slant trailer in very very hilly conditions. I typically am in TH and Smart EB. No concerns on my part in it being too aggressive at all. To the contrary, I think it smoothes out things. Typically do not use Full EB when hauling except for in infrequent situations.

Norwood

Reaction score
Just got back from a drive not towing hit the T/H control and EB did activate.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
That's interesting. Is your truck tuned? Did you buy it brand new and if not, do you know a complete history of your truck? No one else's truck does it.

Nd79

Reaction score
That is how my '21 acts it seems. I get in/out of the truck frequently when I'm working it, sometimes shutting it down if I think it will be awhile until I am rolling again. I like to run full EB and tow haul mode since I do a lot of deliveries with my trailer through city traffic and like the stopping power to come on as soon as I'm off the accelerator. When I want to "coast" I lightly rest my foot on the go pedal to keep EB from activating. Saves a lot on my brakes and feels safer, granted I'm not hauling anything live.

Anyways, when I do shut the truck off and then back on I give it a minute to go through it's screens. Then I hit "tow/haul" and EB will come back on about 30sec or so later, as if it's "remembering last state", but only after I hit "tow haul". I have noticed after dropping the trailer on the rare occasion I run somewhere without it that EB will stay off (If the truck was shut off) and not "remember last state" unless I hit tow haul.

I apologize if that was long winded but wanted to explain it as well as I could, as it seems my truck and your truck operate in the same fashion.

Norwood

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm going to check it again and make sure EB is off then hit TH and see what happens.

SAJ

Reaction score
FWIW, I also frequently pull a 3 horse slant trailer in very very hilly conditions. I typically am in TH and Smart EB. No concerns on my part in it being too aggressive at all. To the contrary, I think it smoothes out things. Typically do not use Full EB when hauling except for in infrequent situations.
Oh thanks for this- nice to hear your experince as well re: livestock. Everyone has been so helpful - nice to hear your experience with the similar situation to mine. Cheers.

Norwood

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm going to check it again and make sure EB is off then hit TH and see what happens.
Was heading to Lowes yesterday, made sure EB was off, turned on H/T and soon as I touch the brake the EB engaged

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I tested as well with my '21 2500. Turned on TH and no EB at all. Left TH on for about 15 minutes of normal non-highway driving. Stopping, pulling out, braking, etc. Exhaust brake never engaged whatsoever. Light never came on. Inidicator on dash never came on. EB never activated. Downshifts were obviously more aggressive when going down hills but it was not due to any exhaust braking.

Users who are viewing this thread