Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust brake newbie

SAJ

Reaction score
So please, let me apologize in advance if what I’m going to ask in this thread is a super simple question. I currently have a 2003 Cummins that I have used for every day use and for hauling a goose neck 3 horse trailer. Of course I put it in a haul mode to do my hauling.

I’m getting a 2021 Cummins 2500 delivered this Sunday. The new technology and features are certainly a bit over facing! Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to take delivery with my sales person and I’m going to be dependent on all of the videos to review the features on my vehicle.

With is in mind — I really would be so grateful if folks could give me a super simple description of how to use the diesel exhaust brake, and how it works. Also anything new and helpful I need about this vehicles tow haul mode. Also using the diesel exhaust fluid is new to me

So let’s pretend you’re writing a “hauling mode” and “how to use the exhaust brake” text “for dummies” and “DEF use” kind of thing. Really I also know that this is a big ask cause I’m asking a lot — so certainly know that I appreciate any and all responses you can give me.

Thanks!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
full eb - will come on anytime your foot is NOT on the go pedal.

auto eb - only activates when you press the brake, or to keep you at constant speed based on cruise control input.

that's it.

watch def needle. when low, add fluid. keep a box in the truck.

use tow / haul anytime towing. I don't use it when towing lighter trailers.

diode_ee

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but does the EB ever provide more than 100hp when on full? I've driven around with mine and I've never seen, not felt, the brake provide more than 100HP as read by the gauge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Step one: Turn truck on.

Step two: Enable full exhaust brake.

Step three: Drive.

Keeping it on keeps the VGT ring spinning and lessens soot buildup in the turbo. Also saves your service brakes and sounds cool. If it's used in icy conditions it will overdrive the rear axle and potentially cause a spin out, though. That's why RAM doesn't remember the on setting after a key cycle and makes you turn it on manually every time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Keeping it on keeps the VGT ring spinning and lessens soot buildup in the turbo. Also saves your service brakes and sounds cool. If it's used in icy conditions it will overdrive the rear axle and potentially cause a spin out, though. That's why RAM doesn't remember the on setting after a key cycle and makes you turn it on manually every time.

What?

The VGT assembly/vanes slide in and out of the exhaust gas stream, it doesn't spin, it moves axially.

Use does help prevent soot buildup and exercises the actuator mechanism.

Will_T

Reaction score
I'll add that tow haul makes the full exhaust brake feel more aggressive.
I have not towed yet but have experimented with the exhaust brake in both full and auto modes and in and out of tow haul. I noticed it feeling more assertive in tow haul also but thought it might be my imagination.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I was able to use the TH and EB modes last weekend pulling my heavy built 16' bumper pull with a full size RZR XP1000 Crew (approx 2300lb trailer and 2100lb for RZR). I noted the EB seemed to kick on more in lower speed areas and hills. Less so doing 75mph on a flat highway. I had TH mode on the whole way. DEF usage was minimal, maybe 1/4 tank for the 400mile round trip.

For OP; depending on how far you haul your horses you may wanna consider throwing an extra box of DEF in the truck. Depending on how heavy your trailer and horses are you may need to adjust your trailer brake controller as well.

19 2500 limited

Reaction score
Anyone else notice when the exhaust brake is on, that the transmison shifts harder, and down shifts harder etc..

SAJ

Reaction score
full eb - will come on anytime your foot is NOT on the go pedal.

auto eb - only activates when you press the brake, or to keep you at constant speed based on cruise control input.

that's it.

watch def needle. when low, add fluid. keep a box in the truck.

use tow / haul anytime towing. I don't use it when towing lighter trailers.
Thanks so much! This helps - good tip on keeping that DEF fluid. Way new to me ;) Cheers

SAJ

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for ALL of the help. I really appreicate it ;)

Norwood

Reaction score
So please, let me apologize in advance if what I’m going to ask in this thread is a super simple question. I currently have a 2003 Cummins that I have used for every day use and for hauling a goose neck 3 horse trailer. Of course I put it in a haul mode to do my hauling.

I’m getting a 2021 Cummins 2500 delivered this Sunday. The new technology and features are certainly a bit over facing! Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to take delivery with my sales person and I’m going to be dependent on all of the videos to review the features on my vehicle.

With is in mind — I really would be so grateful if folks could give me a super simple description of how to use the diesel exhaust brake, and how it works. Also anything new and helpful I need about this vehicles tow haul mode. Also using the diesel exhaust fluid is new to me

So let’s pretend you’re writing a “hauling mode” and “how to use the exhaust brake” text “for dummies” and “DEF use” kind of thing. Really I also know that this is a big ask cause I’m asking a lot — so certainly know that I appreciate any and all responses you can give me.

Thanks!

Hello, I was in the same boat you are in now. I had a 2006 2500 with the 5.9 it had a tow haul mode, but nothing like my 2020 3500 when you engage tow haul it will also engage exhaust brake. What really helped me was googling ram tow haul and exhaust brake, lots of good videos that really explain how it works and how to turn on. PLUS THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM they are awesome

MEGA HO

Reaction score
EB only works above certain RPM so if you're coasting down a mountain and it kicks off, downshift it. TH should keep it in a proper gear though, but I didn't like using TH with my light trailer, the EB was way too agressive and was similar to me slamming the breaks. I felt like if there was someone driving behind me, they might have thought that I was break-checking them... My tailer was in the 4500-5000# range and I figured I didn't need a TH for it as my trans temps stayed cool and it didn't do any crazy gear hunting, it was all as normal as me driving it empty.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I was in the same boat you are in now. I had a 2006 2500 with the 5.9 it had a tow haul mode, but nothing like my 2020 3500 when you engage tow haul it will also engage exhaust brake. What really helped me was googling ram tow haul and exhaust brake, lots of good videos that really explain how it works and how to turn on. PLUS THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM they are awesome

Are you sure about that?

Mine does not engage EB when using TH (empty), have to check again with a trailer plugged in, that could be the secret sauce.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Are you sure about that?

Mine does not engage EB when using TH (empty), have to check again with a trailer plugged in, that could be the secret sauce.
I think mine was doing it with trailer plugged in, but only when I shut it off and restart, without locking the doors. I think I had to puch EB again in the morning if I remember it right, but I didn't have to do it for the fuel stops.

SAJ

Reaction score
EB only works above certain RPM so if you're coasting down a mountain and it kicks off, downshift it. TH should keep it in a proper gear though, but I didn't like using TH with my light trailer, the EB was way too agressive and was similar to me slamming the breaks. I felt like if there was someone driving behind me, they might have thought that I was break-checking them... My tailer was in the 4500-5000# range and I figured I didn't need a TH for it as my trans temps stayed cool and it didn't do any crazy gear hunting, it was all as normal as me driving it empty.
I really appeciate this -- when I haul, its livestock. For DE to shift down, hard, could certainly be a risk to my horses if I'm not prepared for that!

Users who are viewing this thread