Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive/long crank time

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Curious to see how long your truck cranks when you go to start it? I'm new to the 6.7 but not Cummins. My 05 5.9 cranks really quickly, probably within a second or so of it turning over. My 23 takes what feels like 5 seconds of cranking before it starts. Just wondering if its normal on these newer trucks?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
My 22 cranks for a few times before it kicks. Sometimes seems like it’s too long…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
same. it doesn't always, but occasionally will take another turn over. my old '92 fired on the first bump, every time. my 3rd gen was pretty consistent.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My 22 will crank what I consider to be the “normal” amount, but then intermittently I’ll get a “longer” crank. There’s no rhyme or reason to it that I can discern. It seems completely random. This was brought up multiple times before in various threads but I don’t recall a definitive answer, just educated guesses.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too "focused" on it. As long as she fires up I'm a happy camper haha. :)
You’re asking a fair question, and one that has been asked many times before. It just hasn’t been adequately answered as far as I know.

If you’ve ever owned a first generation truck, everything from 1994 to today has “excessive” crank at startup by comparison. Those first gens always started amazingly well. I swear all you had to do was breathe on the key and they were running.

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Was thinking maybe it has something to do with more sensors and computers on these things today. Sure is amazing how far they have come since my 05.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely a possibility. There was a thread on this a while back but I’m struggling to find it…(it may have been a sidebar conversation under a different thread topic). If remember discussing crank speed sensors, as well as other monitoring that could have an impact on “when” it actually fires. I had a Cat C7 in a dump truck back in the early 2000’s that had, what I thought, was excessive cranking at startup. I had it back to the Cat garage twice and the techs there told me Cat had them programmed that way in order to build oil pressure before they fired. The C7 is an HEUI engine though, so it’s a different animal.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My 19 does not have a long crank time ever its about the same as my 05 but slightly longer than the 01 but after having a TBI 350 many years ago nothing seems like a long crank time compared to that truck lol.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My 19 does not have a long crank time its about the same as my 05 but slightly longer than the 01 but after having a TBI 350 many years go nothing seems like a long crank time compared to that truck lol.
My grandfather had a 6.9 IDI that would crank for a day and a half….in August……after snorting canned glow plugs for fifteen minutes. It’s a miracle they even sold any of those trucks. Pap swore his off after it left him stranded at the grain mill multiple times in mid February and he traded it off on a gas truck. It wasn’t until he drove my `01 24 valve 5 speed before he bought himself another diesel pickup.

jetrinka

Reaction score
My 19 does not have a long crank time ever its about the same as my 05 but slightly longer than the 01 but after having a TBI 350 many years go nothing seems like a long crank time compared to that truck lol.
LOL nothing more true has ever been said!

Jimmer22

Reaction score
so mine does the same thing is a 2023 ram 2500 Cummins. if the motor is already warmed up and I shut it off to lets say run into the gas station and hop back in it fires right up pretty fast.
but if it sits over night when I got to start it in the morning it starts cranking what feels like forever but is only like 2-3 cranks longer than if the motor is warm.
my only things I can think of are
1. the truck isn't really using the heater grid to warm it up first but even when it does I feel like it still takes the little extra. or
2. there's a recall on the heater grid relay and I wonder if the heater grid isn't even working and that's why when the motor is cold it takes a little longer.

I have to bring truck to dealer soon for Uconnect issue and while I'm there I wanna try to talk to the diesel tech and get his opinion.
it just takes a little longer than I feel like it should but I don't know.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I almost wonder if there is a delay built into the injectors firings to get the rpms up, like it won't fire the injectors until the engine rpms are "x"...thou it always seems to crank the same speed.

It can fire as fast as my 05, but it usually takes a little longer. It's generally the same as my '18 was, but sometimes longer. Even the longest crank time is considerably quicker than most any other diesel I've been around, except maybe a Cat 3406. I-6's just like to fire quick.

The delay from a mechanical 5.9, to a HPCR 5.9, to a HPCR 6.7, to a CGI HPCR 6.7 is most likely all in the computers and programming.

Jimmer22

Reaction score
ya im just happy im not the only one lol but like i said im gonna try to have the diesel tech take a look and ill report back. i go in on the 23rd so ill keep yall updated

Last edited:

Lettikka

Reaction score
Glad to have read this thread. Thought it was just mine and was hoping that as she got more broken in it would get shorter. Not excessive, just a little longer than I expect sometimes.

chaser

Reaction score
Same here. There’s definitely a few extra cranks in the 23 than the 18 or 22. Sounds like they changed something for some reason. Be curious to find out the why on this.

J P

Reaction score
Did someone find out anything about it because I have the same situation with my 2023 almost every time takes forever to fire up and that never happened with my 18 and 22 only when I changed the diesel filters

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
My truck is currently in the shop to have the door replaced and painted…renting a 2023 2500 Cummins and it cranks forever. Twice as long as my 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogbreath650

Reaction score
My 23 takes several seconds longer than my 16 ever did, thought it was just mine for some reason...

Users who are viewing this thread