Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive fuel consumption while towing?

Nick

Reaction score
How much weight , altitude , wind etc . A head wind can affect your milage by at least 1 or more mpg . Oil changes on the Fords are more frequent you still have the other variables variables . How many miles are on your truck ? The fuel mileage gets better with time . If it makes you happy losing your ass on a trade for a Ford , feel free !

Reaction score
How much weight , altitude , wind etc . A head wind can affect your milage by at least 1 or more mpg . Oil changes on the Fords are more frequent you still have the other variables variables . How many miles are on your truck ? The fuel mileage gets better with time . If it makes you happy losing your ass on a trade for a Ford , feel free !
Didn’t matter road conditions, RAM built the truck with multiple recalls. Now they have to add a DPF Sensor and re-program truck ( 4th ) recall. I’m constantly getting a dpf plugged reading of 50%, idles rough as hell and hard starting. My toy hauler is about 8,800 pounds empty, I can tow it on flat ground at 50 mph or 65 - 75 I get the same 8.5 mph. The truck now has 23,400 miles on it. First oil change was at 5,200 miles, second oil change I did at 7,500 ( dealership switched from 5w-40 to 10w-40 at 5,200 miles. I went back to 5w-40 at 7,500 miles. Did third oil change at 17,500 miles again with 5w-40, I’m using Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic with Cummins Fleetgard oil filter and Mopar oem fuel filters. Each oil change I’ve changed all filters. Truck seems to be very sensitive to work, i.e. swapped crap Firestone tires for BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAINS same size as originals and lost 1.5 mpg’s and when ac is on I lose another 2mps. This thing seems gutless

Reactions: jak

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn’t matter road conditions, RAM built the truck with multiple recalls. Now they have to add a DPF Sensor and re-program truck ( 4th ) recall. I’m constantly getting a dpf plugged reading of 50%, idles rough as hell and hard starting. My toy hauler is about 8,800 pounds empty, I can tow it on flat ground at 50 mph or 65 - 75 I get the same 8.5 mph. The truck now has 23,400 miles on it. First oil change was at 5,200 miles, second oil change I did at 7,500 ( dealership switched from 5w-40 to 10w-40 at 5,200 miles. I went back to 5w-40 at 7,500 miles. Did third oil change at 17,500 miles again with 5w-40, I’m using Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic with Cummins Fleetgard oil filter and Mopar oem fuel filters. Each oil change I’ve changed all filters. Truck seems to be very sensitive to work, i.e. swapped crap Firestone tires for BF GOODRICH ALL TERRAINS same size as originals and lost 1.5 mpg’s and when ac is on I lose another 2mps. This thing seems gutless

I thought this was a Hemi 6.4 sub-forum??

Why so many oil changes? Was the EVIC indicating they were due, or you just wanted 5w-40? 10w-40 isn't a recommended viscosity, did you mean 10w-30?

The PM sensor is a non-issue, it won't change anything good or bad.

Yes Firestone Trashforce are crap, but they do provide low rolling resistance and better mileage. I've never liked the BFG's, too trendy and underperforming IME.

Hard starting, or a long crank?

Reaction score
I thought this was a Hemi 6.4 sub-forum??

Why so many oil changes? Was the EVIC indicating they were due, or you just wanted 5w-40? 10w-40 isn't a recommended viscosity, did you mean 10w-30?

The PM sensor is a non-issue, it won't change anything good or bad.

Yes Firestone Trashforce are crap, but they do provide low rolling resistance and better mileage. I've never liked the BFG's, too trendy and underperforming IME.

Hard starting, or a long crank?
Hard starting. I live 25 miles from town and never drive a distance of less than 15 miles. Breaking in engine and wanted to keep first few oil changes close. Plan on going 12,500 per change. Most of my trips are couple of hundred miles at a time. Hauling the trailer I could never go more than 200 miles on a tank of fuel. Useless fuel economy for an old retiree on fixed income. I like the truck, just not it’s wimpy nature

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard starting. I live 25 miles from town and never drive a distance of less than 15 miles. Breaking in engine and wanted to keep first few oil changes close. Plan on going 12,500 per change. Most of my trips are couple of hundred miles at a time. Hauling the trailer I could never go more than 200 miles on a tank of fuel. Useless fuel economy for an old retiree on fixed income. I like the truck, just not it’s wimpy nature

Have you had the dealership look at it?

Reaction score
Have you had the dealership look at it?
Went by there today to see about recall for DPF, they told me I’m 3rd in-line. As to your question about dealer looking at it, yes just before my trip to Montana for a bear hunt. That’s when they told me about recall for DPF SENSOR, they tried to check for software updated but couldn’t because recall

Deltron

Reaction score
Well, my math is fine... Recently drove from Florida Panhandle to St Louis and back - did some 1900 miles towing 31ft Cougar 5th wheel. Towing average was 10.9 mpg, both on the gauge and calculated from mileage and receipts. I think 6.5mpg is low, not about right. Personally I try not to be a leadfoot, but I still try to keep it at or around the speed limit.
Must be nice. I get 9.4 towing my 30' 5th wheel TH running 62 mph. It drops to around 8.5 or so at 70 mph, still not the speed limit.

Maybe I should have purchased the Hemi.

Reaction score
Not towing heavy but this Hemi gets the best milage doing what it is, of anything I have owned..and does it effortlessly, credit the trans. ~14mpg in the most mountained state.
I’ve thought about the hemi ( except fuel economy has to be terrible at highway speeds of 75 mph ) I got rid of a 2021 F-350 with 7.3 Godzilla V8 gasser. At highway speeds fuel economy was 9.8 empty. Wanted to order a 2023 with power stroke dealership laughed said good luck. CEO Farley is trying to cram electric vehicles down dealerships throats, so unless dealerships put $30,000,000 into electric vehicles program they limit truck orders. I live in Michigans upper peninsula and these dealers can’t afford electric vehicle programs. All I know is RAM dealer told me my fuel economy is what it is when pulling my trailer. It’s time to move on from this RAM. Not going back to Ford, I’m hearing they’re in financial stress of electrical vehicle program and are dumping on dealerships and customers

Nick

Reaction score
I have a 2020 HO Ram 3500 6.7with a 100 gal fuel capacity pulling a 15 k 5 th wheel . Just got back from a 3 k round trip from California to Washington average 10mph . Going over the Siskiyou mountains thru five major cities with LA being one of them .Average speed 65 mph . I think that is good mileage overall .50 k and outside of a upgraded fuel pump no problems in over 3.5 years .

Zeeman

Reaction score
Ram 2500 6.4 ltr 373 gears towing 38ft Travel trailer with wide width and poor aerodynamics getting 7.x MPG with 8k trailer heavy hitch weight toy hauler. From engineering economics many years ago it takes about what they are saying to get your money back from diesels. There is also payload available to consider and with the diesel your hitch payload is less. Im questioning my decision for long term but had no issues in mountains. K&N air failter and cat back may ease some fractions of MPG. Have Cummins envy every time I hitch up. :) Also like Costco gas prices and they dont sell diesel. Had 30ft Triton V10 motorhome towing single axle enclosed trailer and got same gas mileage There always trade offs.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram 2500 6.4 ltr 373 gears towing 38ft Travel trailer with wide width and poor aerodynamics getting 7.x MPG with 8k trailer heavy hitch weight toy hauler. From engineering economics many years ago it takes about what they are saying to get your money back from diesels. There is also payload available to consider and with the diesel your hitch payload is less. Im questioning my decision for long term but had no issues in mountains. K&N air failter and cat back may ease some fractions of MPG. Have Cummins envy every time I hitch up. :) Also like Costco gas prices and they dont sell diesel. Had 30ft Triton V10 motorhome towing single axle enclosed trailer and got same gas mileage There always trade offs.

I did the math a while ago on this, since I tow a similar rig with the same 2500 6.4 w/ 3.73's. Getting 7-9 while towing with the gasser, versus getting 10-11 while towing with a diesel (at least that was my experience when I borrowed my neighbors F350 6.7), and the average cost increase of diesel over gas being anywhere from $0.60 - $1.50 per gallon, plus the cost of DEF, you basically break even on fuel cost, or might save a couple bucks with the diesel, really depends on your local fuel costs since they're all over the place.

For my needs I didn't think the added initial cost of the diesel option made financial sense. If I decide to get a 5th wheel that may change.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I’ve thought about the hemi ( except fuel economy has to be terrible at highway speeds of 75 mph ) I got rid of a 2021 F-350 with 7.3 Godzilla V8 gasser. At highway speeds fuel economy was 9.8 empty. Wanted to order a 2023 with power stroke dealership laughed said good luck. CEO Farley is trying to cram electric vehicles down dealerships throats, so unless dealerships put $30,000,000 into electric vehicles program they limit truck orders. I live in Michigans upper peninsula and these dealers can’t afford electric vehicle programs. All I know is RAM dealer told me my fuel economy is what it is when pulling my trailer. It’s time to move on from this RAM. Not going back to Ford, I’m hearing they’re in financial stress of electrical vehicle program and are dumping on dealerships and customers
I typically got around 15mpg in mixed driving with my 2020 F250 7.3/3.55.

missingpieces

Reaction score
2019 PW, stock tire size at the moment, 4.10s. Recently towed our new 21ft toy hauler. About 7000lbs loaded. Averaged about 8.5 down into the desert and back with a screaming headwind. Par for the course.

Regearing at a reputable shop doesn’t really cost that much if you are 2wd, and there are lots of ratios to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread