Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

equipment trailers vs camping trailers

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Thought I my head. I know folks who tow boats, equipment trailers etc that are towards the max of their 1500/2500/3500 truck without load distribution hitches. Yet an RV is recommended to have one over a certain weight. Is it because the RV is a larger box acting as a sail and more top heavy?

Or perhaps equipment trailers are generally not pulled for hundreds of miles? I know I've pulled 8-15k equipment trailers behind my 1500/2500/3500 trucks without WD hitches with out issues.

Figured I ask folks who do much more carried towing than I have done.

I'm also looking at used WD hitches just in case I have an opportunity to move a pull behind camper 'for a friend'.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thought I my head. I know folks who tow boats, equipment trailers etc that are towards the max of their 1500/2500/3500 truck without load distribution hitches. Yet an RV is recommended to have one over a certain weight. Is it because the RV is a larger box acting as a sail and more top heavy?

Or perhaps equipment trailers are generally not pulled for hundreds of miles? I know I've pulled 8-15k equipment trailers behind my 1500/2500/3500 trucks without WD hitches with out issues.

Figured I ask folks who do much more carried towing than I have done.

I'm also looking at used WD hitches just in case I have an opportunity to move a pull behind camper 'for a friend'.
I have pulled em both my flat deck i built is rated for 16k... biggest difference you can balance the equipment on the trailer to relieve hitch weight campers are fixed weight so if your squatting you need a wdh i know some guys who use a wdh on their flat decks and enclosed trailers i have also seen trailer tongues bent from WDH being set so tight it kinks where the chain brackets sits

To me if its not squatting and pulls with manners the wdh is a waste of money

Frank

Reaction score
Where are you seeing two different recommendations? Tongue weight is tongue weight. The only thing unique to a camper is wind load.

Users who are viewing this thread