Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine tick/knock on cold startup

yarnellm

Reaction score
2019 2500 6.4, 10,500 miles. I started noticing a ticking/ knocking sound on cold startup as soon as the weather got cold in the fall. The noise disappears after about 30 seconds. Oil and filter were changed at 2000 miles and 7400 miles with Pennzoil 0W-40. Anyone else have this noise on cold startup?

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
Get it to the dealership and have them document it. This is part of the process if there was ever hope for a recall. They'll call it normal, but have them keep it in the truck's history. Lots of questions around the headers and the "hemi tick". I think most are doing ok. That said, mine only has 4k and I am wondering about it. Hearing it on youtube videos, it isn't normal to me..

yarnellm

Reaction score
My noise seems to only occur on cold starts at temps below 50 or so. Also strange that the noise starts about 5 seconds after startup, and lasts about 30 seconds. Almost like the oil is not flowing adequately to keep the lifters pumped up or something.....Engine is smooth and runs great, uses no oil. Serviced with Pennzoil 0W-40 per the manual.

kjet58

Reaction score
my 2019 cummins does this also- i thought it was the a/c compressor in the summer but now i think its in the engine-i did take it to the dealer -and guess what- thats normal engine noise-im like then why didnt my last three cummins do that??

Squatch

Reaction score
My noise seems to only occur on cold starts at temps below 50 or so. Also strange that the noise starts about 5 seconds after startup, and lasts about 30 seconds. Almost like the oil is not flowing adequately to keep the lifters pumped up or something.....Engine is smooth and runs great, uses no oil. Serviced with Pennzoil 0W-40 per the manual.
Yours sounds different than this exhaust tick a lot of people have, the exhaust tick goes for several minutes and abruptly stops. I would be concerned that you might have a lifter tick, I would get it checked out and documented as said before.

hwy361

Reaction score
8500 miles on my 2022 PW. Had the "tick" since day one. Brought her in for the tailgate latch recall and had dealer look into noise. Long story short - waiting on engine replacement for bad wrist pin!

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
I had the same on my 21. Took it in and said it was normal and nothing to worry about. A few months later my oil pressure dropped to barely anything. I had to get it towed into the dealership and fought with them for a few weeks and eventually the engine was replaced under warranty.

Take yours to the dealership ASAP just to keep a record with them. Also, keep your receipts of your oil and filters if you did it yourself.

hwy361

Reaction score
She's already there and waiting for the crate to arrive. Now I have to contact customer care and se what they will do regarding the depreciation value of my truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
She's already there and waiting for the crate to arrive. Now I have to contact customer care and se what they will do regarding the depreciation value of my truck.

Probably nothing. The truck wasn’t in an accident, it’s getting an engine replaced. If anything that’s a positive to value for most buyers.

ColoradoCub

Reaction score
HEMI Owners need to watch this video. There are several examples of what some refer to as the Hemi tick and not all of them require engine work or are even diagnosed with the correct problem.

hwy361

Reaction score
Update
Still waiting to get my PW back! Long block is in but the rest of the parts are not. Surprise surprise Ram Care cannot tell me when remaining parts will ship. I'm beginning to agree with my nephews who both own Raptors. Maybe I should have gone with a different manufacturer

hwy361

Reaction score
Update 3
Finally got her back 17 August. Shake out run from NYC to Myrtle Beach SC. Guess what? Fuel line started leaking!
Took her in to Victory DJCR in Shallote, NC. Great service. They had the fuel line overnighted and I was back on the road the next day.
Run back to NYC was uneventful. Let's see what happens next.

PS Still no reply from RamCare. BTW RamCare isn't even located in the United States or North America or Mexico.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Update 3
Finally got her back 17 August. Shake out run from NYC to Myrtle Beach SC. Guess what? Fuel line started leaking!
Took her in to Victory DJCR in Shallote, NC. Great service. They had the fuel line overnighted and I was back on the road the next day.
Run back to NYC was uneventful. Let's see what happens next.

PS Still no reply from RamCare. BTW RamCare isn't even located in the United States or North America or Mexico.

RamCare is definitely spread across multiple countries. I’ve talked to people on the phone that are undeniably in the US, and people that are from or in multiple other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread