Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Noise (howling) When Loaded and Driving Uphill - Engine Brake Not Working

leo319

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm here to ask for feedback and find any similar experiences. Here it goes..

I just got back from a camping trip this afternoon and I noticed a strange noise when driving uphill and putting the truck to work. The best I can describe the noise is as if the engine fan was turned on at all times, but louder and almost "howling" as the rpms go up and down. These happened as I got close to the lake and started to climb some steep hills (before those hills, I drove about 1 hour of freeway without issues). About 30-45 seconds into the first grade I began to notice the noise.

The noise is definitely different than the regular sound a Diesel engine gives. I did not lose power, and did not overheat. I climbed other grades without issues. As I made it down, I noticed the engine brake was not working and the noise remained. When I arrived to the campsite, the temperature was back to normal but the noise was still there (obviously not as pronounced as the rpms were not as high). I drove around the campground on flat roads and the noise remained. I set up camp, and turned the truck off a few hours later and it was back to normal.

I was doing about 30-35 mph when climbing, 97 degrees outside, A/C was on, coolant temperature climbed from 194 to 206 and stayed within normal range, the turbo worked normally at about 15-20psi, the tow/haul mode was on.

On the way home, the truck seemed normal but the name noise came up soon after the first climb (18-20mph) and the engine brake was stopped working. The temperature stayed the same as there were much fewer climbs, and the temperature was 72 degrees. I also turned off the A/C this time, but no changes\. On the way back there are more downgrades then uphill. The noise when away after 20 minutes of driving a flat road to get to the freeway. Once in the freeway all was normal, including the engine brake.

The truck was at max payload with a heavy camper on top of it, and I was towing a 5k pound boat. Truck only has 4k miles on it, and I've never noticed any other noises. 6.7 with the 68rfe tranny. The tranny recall has been done. Truck is completely stock.

Thank you in advance for reading the post, and I hope I hear some feedback or people with similar experiences. The truck does not make the noise when not loaded, so my fear taking it to the dealer is that it won't do what it did when climbing loaded. They've told me before they can't do anything without codes or if they can't make the truck mimic the problem.

I'm sorry for the long post, thought I'd explain as best as I could.... Thanks again.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The fan clutch will engage as the temps rise and that thing can make quit a howl.

Perhaps it was doing a regen and when in regen it doesn't allow EB?

That said, the loss of EB in any mode would piss me off if I was running the hills.

leo319

Reaction score
The fan clutch will engage as the temps rise and that thing can make quit a howl.

Perhaps it was doing a regen and when in regen it doesn't allow EB?

Gotcha, it just seems very different than the fan clutch alone, and the second times I climbed the temperature did not rise. Don't get me wring, the noise doesn't bother me one bit since all other behaviors on the truck are normal, but the engine brake is my disappointment since it went out when most needed. I wish I could find out a regen that was the issue, the strange thing is that it happened right when climbing both times...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha, it just seems very different than the fan clutch alone, and the second times I climbed the temperature did not rise. Don't get me wring, the noise doesn't bother me one bit since all other behaviors on the truck are normal, but the engine brake is my disappointment since it went out when most needed. I wish I could find out a regen that was the issue, the strange thing is that it happened right when climbing both times...

Did you have the EB on Auto or Full On?

flan

Reaction score
I’m due for my 5th regen tomorrow (120hrs) I’ll try my EB during it. Not sure I ever paid attention to it in the past.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Howling? That big fan on the front of the engine. Yep, it can be hideously noisy and on occasion, have a mind of its own. I know it! If your exhaust brake (EB) indicators were lit on the EVIC and there were no associated DTCs your EB was probably working properly. EB operation at max payload can appear to be less than optimal depending on a variety of conditions. If the EB is muted during regen (not), then the FCA engineers are dumber than my cynical, old, gray mass could ever comprehend! Good grief...

flan

Reaction score
Gotcha, I didn't know they're "scheduled" like that... thanks!
I could set my watch by it, 24hr intervals. Will be leaving for NH with the travel trailer on the back so it will have a load on. Only my 2nd regen since getting the VB6 update.

leo319

Reaction score
Howling? That big fan on the front of the engine. Yep, it can be hideously noisy and on occasion, have a mind of its own. I know it! If your exhaust brake (EB) indicators were lit on the EVIC and there were no associated DTCs your EB was probably working properly. EB operation at max payload can appear to be less than optimal depending on a variety of conditions. If the EB is muted during regen (not), then the FCA engineers are dumber than my cynical, old, gray mass could ever comprehend! Good grief...

Yeah, i know the fan can be really loud when fully engage. I'd still like to think the noise was different, but not concerned of the noise as much as i am the EB not working.. Reason I know the engine brake was not engaging is because I kept a close eye on the turbo back pressure gauge (fart brain, i cant recall the correct name of the gauge, i will attach picture) and it was not moving at all. In my experience, the heavier the load, the more pressure the turbo builds back. I hope i'm explaining it right and you understand my point. I've driven quite a few peterbilts and that is where my experience comes from, but i am new to engine brake on rams though i read is the same exact thing. Please school me if im wrong...

Here's the pic of the gauge (the top one is the turbo, but i am referring to the one at the bottom), still cant think of the right name lol

turbo.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a speed threshold when the EB stops working?

D

Deleted member 80

You may have trouble developing with your turbo actuator. It is a weak spot. I have heard them associated with more of a squeal or screech, but you never know.

The threshold is RPM related, not speed, AFAIK. It seems to drop out in the 1K RPM range, maybe a bit lower.

leo319

Reaction score
You may have trouble developing with your turbo actuator. It is a weak spot. I have heard them associated with more of a squeal or screech, but you never know.

The threshold is RPM related, not speed, AFAIK. It seems to drop out in the 1K RPM range, maybe a bit lower.

Got it, thanks for the info.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, RPM based. I believe mine cuts out at 850-900 RPM. High EB HP demands higher RPM's. If you aren't running TH mode with aggressive downshifting occurring, or locking out higher gears, or using Auto and ACC, you might not be getting the most out of the EB at lower RPM's.

As @1HasBeen said, you could also be experiencing turbo actuator issues. It could be heat related actuator failure.

leo319

Reaction score
Yes, RPM based. I believe mine cuts out at 850-900 RPM. High EB HP demands higher RPM's. If you aren't running TH mode with aggressive downshifting occurring, or locking out higher gears, or using Auto and ACC, you might not be getting the most out of the EB at lower RPM's.

As @1HasBeen said, you could also be experiencing turbo actuator issues. It could be heat related actuator failure.

I will be taking the truck to the dealership today and see what they say. I hope there was a code stored somewhere after this took place. Frustrating.

I was using using the gears to downshift down the grade and kept the RPS right around 3000 going down, aggressive to me compared the rpms when EB enganged..

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Yeah, i know the fan can be really loud when fully engage. I'd still like to think the noise was different, but not concerned of the noise as much as i am the EB not working.. Reason I know the engine brake was not engaging is because I kept a close eye on the turbo back pressure gauge (fart brain, i cant recall the correct name of the gauge, i will attach picture) and it was not moving at all. In my experience, the heavier the load, the more pressure the turbo builds back. I hope i'm explaining it right and you understand my point. I've driven quite a few peterbilts and that is where my experience comes from, but i am new to engine brake on rams though i read is the same exact thing. Please school me if im wrong...

Here's the pic of the gauge (the top one is the turbo, but i am referring to the one at the bottom), still cant think of the right name lol
Good point. OM simply calls it a "Exhaust Brake" display. Supposed to represents relative HP opposing your fwd trajectory. I'd have to agree then that if that gauge was registering nuthin, then your exhaust brake was not doing what it was supposed to be doing.

leo319

Reaction score
Alright, so here is an update to everyone. Long story short, I took the truck in yesterday. As I was in there, I told him about the problem described on this thread and I also mentioned that there was a time when I removed the camper the airbag light showed a message "Air suspension adjustment limited due to payload" and the airbags stayed completely inflated without any load. Very long story short... They weren't able to figure out the reason the EB did not engage. They said the noise is most likely to be the fan because these new trucks are much louder than other generations. But at the end they said, they retrieved a code regarding the air bags that I had exceeded the payload limits of the truck. They said it was a possibility that the EB stopped working because the truck was overloaded. Frankly I called that BS, but I took their word. So now, I either have to downgrade the camper or get a dually. Anyone wants a 2020 $45k camper (only used three times) for a very good price? or a 2020 fully loaded limited 3500 with only 4k miles for a very good price? lol

Im taking a trip again this weekend to the same place and I'll record what I am talking about (for them and for the forum if somehow I can post). It has been a long day, I just wanted to give you guys an update really quick. I'll post more details later...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 5490

Does anyone know if there is a speed threshold when the EB stops working?

There's your overload indicator. I didn't look at the pic that closely the first time.

1593577835539.png

Users who are viewing this thread