Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine light on at 850miles..

Dfdlamson52

Reaction score
So my 23 ram seems to have a problem. The code that came up is the 2002 dpf code that I’ve seen before on previous trucks. Not sure when ram went to the dpf filter gauge but i noted maybe around 450 miles the filter was around half full and it regenerated to 0. From then on however all the way to now about 950 miles the filter has stayed at 0. The ram health report also stopped and doesnt report an engine light. Just seeing if anyone has had any type of issue like this? Dealer can’t see it till next Monday so we shall see what they say.

flan

Reaction score
Every 24hr or so it will do a regen. Ram started with the dpf gauge in 2019. Dpf gauge at 0 is a good thing, and since the CEL has not returned I’d consider it a glitch. Keep a eye on it and report back if the problem resurfaces.

Dfdlamson52

Reaction score
So went to the dealer today and within 20 mins the guy came out and said it needs an entirely new DPF. Has anyone had this issue? Was wondering if there was a bad batch or something. They now have to source the parts and said it will take them a week or so to get everything. I can’t imagine what a whole DPF costs for the truck. I know things happen. Hope this is a one and done.

tripleH

Reaction score
My 2023 RAM 2500 with a diesel engine is doing this. The tech said I need to drive on the interstate more, but that isn't logical and I don't accept it as a solution.
Every 24hr or so it will do a regen. Ram started with the dpf gauge in 2019. Dpf gauge at 0 is a good thing, and since the CEL has not returned I’d consider it a glitch. Keep a eye on it and report back if the problem resurfaces.
I have been told this as well, but it isn't a valid solution either. The truck has an issue.

Units

Reaction score
My 2023 RAM 2500 with a diesel engine is doing this. The tech said I need to drive on the interstate more, but that isn't logical and I don't accept it as a solution.

I have been told this as well, but it isn't a valid solution either. The truck has an issue.
There are plenty of threads on here that touch on the “drive the truck at highway speeds” you speak of that confirms it is what helps the truck with a passive regen. The truck will do an active regen at around 24hrs, mine will active regen at that or when the dpf gauge is at around 45%. I currently average around 600 miles before an active regen and my truck is my DD. I do drive 30 miles to work one way and about 75% of that is on the interstate, allowing the exhaust to get up to temp for a passive regen. If I pull my TT, the dpf gauge will drop to 0 and stay there.

tripleH

Reaction score
There are plenty of threads on here that touch on the “drive the truck at highway speeds” you speak of that confirms it is what helps the truck with a passive regen. The truck will do an active regen at around 24hrs, mine will active regen at that or when the dpf gauge is at around 45%. I currently average around 600 miles before an active regen and my truck is my DD. I do drive 30 miles to work one way and about 75% of that is on the interstate, allowing the exhaust to get up to temp for a passive regen. If I pull my TT, the dpf gauge will drop to 0 and stay there.
I understand, and I'm saying it is obviously bad advice that covers up the issue. In addition, "helping" an issue isn't the same as having a functioning vehicle. My truck regens nearly constantly regardless of what I'm doing with it or how it has been driven.

Units

Reaction score
I understand, and I'm saying it is obviously bad advice that covers up the issue. In addition, "helping" an issue isn't the same as having a functioning vehicle. My truck regens nearly constantly regardless of what I'm doing with it or how it has been driven.
Just stating how my truck performs, from what I gather it operates completely normal. I hope you get your situation resolved, I would be beside myself if I had a second truck with issues. BTW my truck before this was a ‘22 6.4l, major issues.

Users who are viewing this thread