Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Heater - startup

Darmichar

Reaction score
Looked for the cord, but I was unable to find it. I guess my Ram is equipped with engine block heater, but I will need to purchase the cord. Thanks to all for the information!
I finally remembered to look for mine today. Get down in front of the truck and look in the hole in the bumper to the left of the license plate. If it's there, it will be coiled up and tied inside the bumper there.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looked for the cord, but I was unable to find it. I guess my Ram is equipped with engine block heater, but I will need to purchase the cord. Thanks to all for the information!

If "Engine Block Heater" is on the build sheet, there's a cord.

You have to crawl under and look up behind the license plate area. It has a cap on it so it may not jump out at first.

moparfan06

Reaction score
If "Engine Block Heater" is on the build sheet, there's a cord.

You have to crawl under and look up behind the license plate area. It has a cap on it so it may not jump out at first.
The 2019 and later don't all have the block heater from factory? On my 2018, the block heater was on the truck but not the block heater cord. Adding the Cold Weather Package got you the cord and winter front. My truck didn't have the Cold Weather package but did have the block heater on the truck. I purchased the Mopar block heater cord from Amazon and installed it myself.
My 2006 was the same way, the block heater was there but not the cord. After the winter of 2014, I had the cord installed.

twinjayhawks

Reaction score
The 2019 and later don't all have the block heater from factory? On my 2018, the block heater was on the truck but not the block heater cord. Adding the Cold Weather Package got you the cord and winter front. My truck didn't have the Cold Weather package but did have the block heater on the truck. I purchased the Mopar block heater cord from Amazon and installed it myself.
My 2006 was the same way, the block heater was there but not the cord. After the winter of 2014, I had the cord installed.

Why would they install a block heater with no way to turn it on? Maybe the cord fell off or was forgotten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

They do. I never said it didn't. I said, "If "Engine Block Heater" is on the build sheet, there's a cord."

They only include the cord if you pay for the option. It's not listed as "block heater cord." It's listed as "block heater."

Why would they install a block heater with no way to turn it on? Maybe the cord fell off or was forgotten?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Cummins shipped from their engine plant has a block heater installed. The cord is only installed if you pay for the option.

ETA: I see you can also add this option on the hemi so maybe the gasser doesn't come with it pre-installed since it's built by Mopar. In that case, it might explain why they just have a single option (or package) at the same price on the build and price.

Last edited:

Sapper-8

Reaction score
Well, thanks to this site, I was able to find my block heater cord and will begin using it next year. Is there a temperature range for utilizing the heater? Any temp below freezing? Again, thank you to all who shared the information pertaining to the cord location.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you'll get a million opinions on when to plug it in, from "I never do, even when it's 50 below, to folks like me, who plug it in if it's under 40, and all between.

I love instant heat.

Calef_HD

Reaction score
I have a short 12-15 minute commute in the morning so I plug it in below 50. Nice to have heat after a short warm up. Warm oil supposedly reduces engine wear as well.

Users who are viewing this thread