Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine brake high rpm???

BoatGuyNY

Reaction score
I am new to engine brakes. Towing 8000# travel trailer yesterday for the first time. Tow/Haul on, engine brake in smart"auto" mode. All went well but as I neared the bottom of the hill to the stop sign the last down shift seemed to increase rpm to a crazy level. Shame on me, it took my by surprise and I didn't look at the tach. Heading out on my first trip next week and will be towing about 4000 miles. 2020 3500 Cummins HO, Aisin, Dually. Thank you

BoatGuyNY

Reaction score
Higher RPM is needed to apply maximum braking HP. Doubtful it exceeded redline but next time watch the tach. TH has more aggressive downshifting by design.
I will pay attention next time. Thanks

D

Deleted member 80

If you want less exhaust brake turn Tow/Haul off, but you will be on the service brakes harder.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I really doubt your truck will overspeed the engine unless you are downshifting manually.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
You need to read the engine braking section on page 230 of the owner's manual. There are three settings, OFF/ON/Auto. Being you were in Auto, it only prevents increasing speed, like when cruise control is on and going down hill. "ON" will supply braking anytime the accelerator is not pressed.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You need to read the engine braking section on page 230 of the owner's manual. There are three settings, OFF/Full/Auto. Being you were in Auto, it only prevents increasing speed, like when cruise control is on and going down hill. "" will spply braking anytime the accelerator is not pressed.

fixed it for you

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
if you have it in tow haul amd are using the eb in auto, it will downshift and take it to almost redline, but it has never went over redline. this was towing a 10k lb bobcat.

BoatGuyNY

Reaction score
You need to read the engine braking section on page 230 of the owner's manual. There are three settings, OFF/ON/Auto. Being you were in Auto, it only prevents increasing speed, like when cruise control is on and going down hill. "ON" will spply braking anytime the accelerator is not pressed.
I read it and it does do that. Just seemed like alot of rpms when it got to the bottom of the hill. Thanks for the reply!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I read it and it does do that. Just seemed like alot of rpms when it got to the bottom of the hill. Thanks for the reply!
I had to learn the auto function when I got my 2013 RAM 2500 diesel. I used the AUTO mode even when not towing.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I am new to engine brakes. Towing 8000# travel trailer yesterday for the first time. Tow/Haul on, engine brake in smart"auto" mode. All went well but as I neared the bottom of the hill to the stop sign the last down shift seemed to increase rpm to a crazy level. Shame on me, it took my by surprise and I didn't look at the tach. Heading out on my first trip next week and will be towing about 4000 miles. 2020 3500 Cummins HO, Aisin, Dually. Thank you

My 2019 threw me off the first time I towed and used the Tow/Haul mode. I am not sure if it is the difference from the 68/AISIN or the 2017 to 2019 but the AISIN seems to be more aggressive on the downshift - the tach will get around 2800 or so.

If I am in town towing I will turn off the tow/haul OFF as it is to aggressive for stop and go traffic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread