Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Echo sound in cab

midntrdr

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with an intermittent echo sound in the cab? Sometimes when I’m talking with the wife and kids in the truck my voice echos when I’m talking on the drivers side. My son can hear it in the rear seat behind the driver also. Sometimes if a window is open I can hear the wind echo also (not the typical helicopter sound). It’s driving me nuts, it makes me feel like I have a plugged ear infection on one side of my head. Truck is a 23 crew cab and it’s done it intermittently since I bought it 6 months ago. Had a 22 previously and never had this sound.

Don’t feel like wasting my time at the dealer because I’m sure it will be “unable to reproduce customer complaint”.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
That's so weird. I haven't had that issue in my CC or my MC HDs. Have you got the active noise cancelation feature? I know it's available in the half-tons, but am not sure about the HDs. I'll have to have a look.

Anyway, if so, that's what I'd suspect might cause an issue like this. If it were the acoustic qualities of the cab's structure itself, I'd expect more folks would have noticed it over the years.

Have you wife or kid put an ear against one of your speakers and cover their other ear... try to isolate the speaker or speakers (try a couple) and see if they can hear you even faintly.

My wife's car has an intercom feature that uses the mics and speakers to amplify conversations had between the front and 3rd row occupants. that produces a slight echo-like sound, which this reminds me of.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The Hemi HDs (except for parts shortage 2022s) have the active noise cancellation. I’ve never heard of anyone having an echo problem with it, but a sure fire way to test would be to go under the hood and pull the amplifier fuse.

midntrdr

Reaction score
I have been wondering about the noise canceling feature. Are those the little plastic grills in the headliner?

midntrdr

Reaction score
The Hemi HDs (except for parts shortage 2022s) have the active noise cancellation. I’ve never heard of anyone having an echo problem with it, but a sure fire way to test would be to go under the hood and pull the amplifier fuse.
Do you know which fuse is the amplifier?

Power247

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with an intermittent echo sound in the cab? Sometimes when I’m talking with the wife and kids in the truck my voice echos when I’m talking on the drivers side. My son can hear it in the rear seat behind the driver also. Sometimes if a window is open I can hear the wind echo also (not the typical helicopter sound). It’s driving me nuts, it makes me feel like I have a plugged ear infection on one side of my head. Truck is a 23 crew cab and it’s done it intermittently since I bought it 6 months ago. Had a 22 previously and never had this sound.

Don’t feel like wasting my time at the dealer because I’m sure it will be “unable to reproduce customer complaint”.
I had this issue with my '19. It was an overactive ANC. It shows up more for people with deep voices. Dealer never found an issue when I brought it in. I ended up getting an ANC bypass online and for $20 solved it myself. About 6 months later they issued a TSB to update the ANC software that was supposed to fix it but I never took it back since the bypass solved it.

midntrdr

Reaction score
I had this issue with my '19. It was an overactive ANC. It shows up more for people with deep voices. Dealer never found an issue when I brought it in. I ended up getting an ANC bypass online and for $20 solved it myself. About 6 months later they issued a TSB to update the ANC software that was supposed to fix it but I never took it back since the bypass solved it.
I’m starting to suspect the ANC, it’s only when the backseat is full with 3 kids, and it’s only my voice that does it. Everything I found online with the bypass seemed to be for a constant humming or drone with aftermarket speakers and sound systems. I haven’t messed with the radio, but it is kind of a reverberating droning sound when I’m talking. I might just try the bypass cable to see if it works. Did yours make the echo/droning when someone was talking? Did you notice more road noise after installing the bypass?

4FishLimit

Reaction score
I’ve experienced this a handful of times in my 2023 as well. Every now and then I would catch the ‘echo’ and it would make me pause my conversation lol.

To me it’s almost as if the sound is ‘bouncing’ back from the windshield and causing it. I determined that it was due to the volume and tone of my voice, especially when talking with someone in the back seat. Since the cab is pretty quiet I just lowered my voice a bit.

That said, I will probably do an ANC bypass anyway as it really messes with the stereo. The stock Alpine system isn’t too bad when the ANC isn’t fighting it.

midntrdr

Reaction score
I’ve experienced this a handful of times in my 2023 as well. Every now and then I would catch the ‘echo’ and it would make me pause my conversation lol.

To me it’s almost as if the sound is ‘bouncing’ back from the windshield and causing it. I determined that it was due to the volume and tone of my voice, especially when talking with someone in the back seat. Since the cab is pretty quiet I just lowered my voice a bit.

That said, I will probably do an ANC bypass anyway as it really messes with the stereo. The stock Alpine system isn’t too bad when the ANC isn’t fighting it.
LOL, glad to hear I’m not losing my mind. I’ll literally stop talking and my wife will be wtf! I’m like “you don’t hear that echo?”

My son said one time “I hear it, it sounds like Charlie browns teacher talking”. I have a deep voice, but one other time one of my sons friends was in the car and he has a very high pitched voice and he said a couple times “why is there an echo in here when I talk”… but I didn’t hear his echo.

I agree 100% that it sounds like it’s bouncing off the windshield in front of me.

Will probably order the bypass and see if it goes away. I’ll report back if that helps, but it’s intermittent so it might be a while before I can say it’s fixed for sure.

Power247

Reaction score
I’m starting to suspect the ANC, it’s only when the backseat is full with 3 kids, and it’s only my voice that does it. Everything I found online with the bypass seemed to be for a constant humming or drone with aftermarket speakers and sound systems. I haven’t messed with the radio, but it is kind of a reverberating droning sound when I’m talking. I might just try the bypass cable to see if it works. Did yours make the echo/droning when someone was talking? Did you notice more road noise after installing the bypass?
I first noticed the talking echo issue about a month after buying the truck in 2020. All the fourms at the time said it was normal function of a new feature. I was learning to live with it after the trip to the dealership accomplished nothing. I got the ANC bypass after upgrading the factory sub with the sub & amp combo from the last truck. I was trilled to foind that installing the ANC bypass solved both problems. I have since put the factory sub back but kept the ANC bypas in place, still no echo. I didn't notice a different in road noise after the AND bypass but my truck is Longhorn trim so it is very quiet, especially compared to my previous truck with a deleted and tuned diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread