Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

East Coast Diesel Rationing??

Straightravage

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this?
What do guys think this means? Rationing like they did back in the 40’s?
I can’t imagine how this will affect the cost!

NightTrain

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this?
What do guys think this means? Rationing like they did back in the 40’s?
I can’t imagine how this will affect the cost!

It's been like that in New England for a few weeks now. The fuel price in New England last week was roughly $.70 per gallon higher than the national average. We purchase fuel in bulk and our suppliers haven't made much of a fuss yet, but the truck stops throughout the New England and Mid-Atlantic states have sent out notices to be prepared for a fuel shortage.

Aside from a small refinery in TX, this country hasn't invested/built a new refinery with high output in decades, so there isn't a backup to the lost capacity when one closes - which is the case with Philly. High prices are here to stay for the foreseeable future in the northeast region - $6.49 at my local station this morning.

1652436342526.png

Straightravage

Reaction score
Wow! That is crazy!

Guess I won’t be making the trip from east coast to west coast with my Airstream this summer.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just read an article yesterday about the high prices.
Basically it's the stations who are setting the high prices due to the higher cost of running the station, not because of the price of fuel.
Higher rents, salaries, etc are what is driving up the prices.
Even though the Govt is trying to blame it on the war in Ukraine or the oil refineries.

Nd79

Reaction score
Just read an article yesterday about the high prices.
Basically it's the stations who are setting the high prices due to the higher cost of running the station, not because of the price of fuel.
Higher rents, salaries, etc are what is driving up the prices.
Even though the Govt is trying to blame it on the war in Ukraine or the oil refineries.
Sounds about right for just about everything right now unfortunately.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Well you can't sell fuel if you can't pay the rent, employees or utilities. But the price of crude oil being over $100 means the fuel cost more so to blame it on the stations and their greed is a bit naïve. Seems there is a lot of factors at play and they have came about in the last 17 months. hmmmm

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TankerTrash

Reaction score
I don’t know much about the business behind petroleum - what quantity goes where and why - but I move the fuel from Texas to FL. Our load plans haven’t changed all that much to offset the demand for diesel, it’s still a pretty steady 60/40 split of carrying gas and diesel, with gas being the greater quantity.
Granted this is a load geared towards Floridas consumption, but I don’t see much of a “shortage” from my standpoint.
Time will tell!

JimKIII

Reaction score
I don’t know much about the business behind petroleum - what quantity goes where and why - but I move the fuel from Texas to FL. Our load plans haven’t changed all that much to offset the demand for diesel, it’s still a pretty steady 60/40 split of carrying gas and diesel, with gas being the greater quantity.
Granted this is a load geared towards Floridas consumption, but I don’t see much of a “shortage” from my standpoint.
Time will tell!
Thanks for hauling fuel - you and all other truckers are what's keeping our country supplied.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Well you can't sell fuel if you can't pay the rent, employees or utilities. But the price of crude oil being over $100 means the fuel cost more so to blame it on the stations and their greed is a bit naïve. Seems there is a lot of factors at play and they have came about in the last 17 months. hmmmm

Actually the price of crude went down, but the price of gas here went up 10 cents a gallon for regular.

mkmsr

Reaction score
Actually the price of crude went down, but the price of gas here went up 10 cents a gallon for regular.
10¢ is not significant one way or the other in my opinion. A lot of factors to include local/regional issues can swing the cost by that much. Oil is up $50 a barrel from where it was a couple of years ago. This is a problem that has been made by our government prior to the Ukraine issue. This week alone they shot down 2 large drilling permit request. Next week will probably be another week of record high prices and no action to fix the problem.
Screenshot_20220514-133113.png

NightTrain

Reaction score
All depends on what kind of volume each gas station has. Those with high volume will adjust up or down faster with the price of oil compared to the lower volume stations.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
It’s all a game and we are but the pawns……there is no “raw” supply issue, we have a refining problem

Even when prices are low and what the public thinks is “fair” we still have a refining issue

sanda

Reaction score

What happened 17 months ago?:mad:

Firebird

Reaction score
Other than being bent over at $5.39 a gallon, no shortages so far in my part of Florida

JimKIII

Reaction score
In King Co. WA, one of the most garbage Leftist-controlled counties in the country, 87 octane went from $4.99/gal to $5.49/gal just this week. WA state has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation, our govnah still has his grip on 'emergency powers' and over half the population has become so fear based they continue to wear masks.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Cali's taxes are high as well, but the roads the tax money is supposed to fix are still garbage.
Just paid $5.89 for reg at the cheapest spot near me.
Paid $5.55 on base Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread