Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-Locker in front of my2022 ram 2500

Nksm89

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really sorry if this has been asked/answered a million times but I have been scouring the internet for the answer...

So I am interested in having an electronic front locker put into my 2022 ram 2500 (whenever it arrives from the factory lol).

I have the 6 auxiliary switches on the dash so I'm thinking it can be wired to one of those. Based on all the research I've done, I'm hoping you guys will be able to steer me in the right direction. I'm looking at the AAM 9.25" trac rite E locker for 2003+ ram 2500 models and wondering if this is the right option? Do you guys have any info with an install like this? I believe I just need that spacer that’s listed on Just Differentials with this?

To clarify, the truck I ordered is a 2500 4x4 6.4L Hemi engine with 4.10 gears. LSD in the rear (and hopefully E-Locker in the front when I'm done!)

Thanks!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Really sorry if this has been asked/answered a million times but I have been scouring the internet for the answer...

So I am interested in having an electronic front locker put into my 2022 ram 2500 (whenever it arrives from the factory lol).

I have the 6 auxiliary switches on the dash so I'm thinking it can be wired to one of those. Based on all the research I've done, I'm hoping you guys will be able to steer me in the right direction. I'm looking at the AAM 9.25" trac rite E locker for 2003+ ram 2500 models and wondering if this is the right option? Do you guys have any info with an install like this? I believe I just need that spacer that’s listed on Just Differentials with this?

To clarify, the truck I ordered is a 2500 4x4 6.4L Hemi engine with 4.10 gears. LSD in the rear (and hopefully E-Locker in the front when I'm done!)

Thanks!
2019+ is a different setup which nothing is available yet

Nksm89

Reaction score
Oh wow thanks! I thought it was just an AAM 9.25” size didn’t know they changed it. So we’re all pretty much waiting on this lol. How does power wagon get away with it?

Nksm89

Reaction score
Ok so I’m looking and it says for the front it’s the same as the 2013+ generations? “AAM 9.25-in beam front axel with center disconnect” so I’m confused how it would be different?

This is spec sheet from a 2014 HD 2500 and a 2022 2500

Attachments

• 3A133B96-4790-4DD8-BA93-8A3697AF20EC.png
    3A133B96-4790-4DD8-BA93-8A3697AF20EC.png
    917.2 KB · Views: 36
  • E404C7F2-C933-4012-BC19-70474B22B3B0.png
    E404C7F2-C933-4012-BC19-70474B22B3B0.png
    974.2 KB · Views: 35

el_barto

Reaction score
I believe the axle shafts changed, but I’m not 100% certain

Nksm89

Reaction score
I believe the axle shafts changed, but I’m not 100% certain
So if the axle shafts are different, but the front transfer case is still the same size/spline count it wouldn’t work?

I’m kind of an idiot in these matters so just want to try to clarify and thinking it might help a few people out as well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So if the axle shafts are different, but the front transfer case is still the same size/spline count it wouldn’t work?

I’m kind of an idiot in these matters so just want to try to clarify and thinking it might help a few people out as well.
1. its a differential not a transfer case
2 the splines also have to be the right size which it wont because the shafts are a different size and the splines are on the end of the shafts…..

Nksm89

Reaction score
1. its a differential not a transfer case
2 the splines also have to be the right size which it wont because the shafts are a different size and the splines are on the end of the shafts…..
Got it. So power wagon must use different axle shafts and differential size/spline

jadmt

Reaction score
I would talk to these guys. I think it is doable.

Nksm89

Reaction score
I would talk to these guys. I think it is doable.
Yeah that’s exactly what I was looking at. Sent them an email just waiting on reply!

redraider84

Reaction score
Hi @Nksm89 just reviving this old thread. Any word on front lockers?? I am about to purchase what sounds like the same truck (2500, hemi, 4:10, lsd rear). I’ve been looking around a bit and haven’t found any threads really talking about the install, but, a few websites offer the ARB for an Aam 9.25 33 spline. I reached out to Americantrucks.com and they confirmed it’ll work with the 2022 model year. How is your search/build going??

Ironsides77

Reaction score
Hi @Nksm89 just reviving this old thread. Any word on front lockers?? I am about to purchase what sounds like the same truck (2500, hemi, 4:10, lsd rear). I’ve been looking around a bit and haven’t found any threads really talking about the install, but, a few websites offer the ARB for an Aam 9.25 33 spline. I reached out to Americantrucks.com and they confirmed it’ll work with the 2022 model year. How is your search/build going??
So you’re in the process of getting one installed?
Will the set up you mentioned work for my 23’ 3500?

jetrinka

Reaction score
If you've got a regular 2500 or 3500 with the limited slip in the rear, I'd be more interested in putting an E locker in the rear first than in the front. An open front with a locked rear will do 95% of what you'll ever need. The other 5% I'd rather not get into in the first place. I've had my PW in some pretty good snow and mud off logging roads and never felt the need to lock the front axle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If you've got a regular 2500 or 3500 with the limited slip in the rear, I'd be more interested in putting an E locker in the rear first than in the front. An open front with a locked rear will do 95% of what you'll ever need. The other 5% I'd rather not get into in the first place. I've had my PW in some pretty good snow and mud off logging roads and never felt the need to lock the front axle.
E locker in the rear and a Lincoln locker up front!

jetrinka

Reaction score
I disagree entirely. Why do you think front wheel drive vehicles dominate rear wheel drive in slippery conditions?

Back a few decades ago my best buddy had a CJ7 with a Dana 300 that had twin sticks - go ahead and Google. He had lockers front and rear too. Anyway, we took his CJ out to a tough local trail one day and ran it locked front and rear - it was a tough trail but we made it. We looped back around and disengaged the front drive train but left the rear engaged - we struggled, cursed, and eventually engaged the front to clear 80-90% of the obstacles. We looped around one more time - this time we engaged the front axle and left the rear disengaged. We cleared 90-95% of the same obstacles with only the front axle turning while the rear was disengaged.

A locker in the rear alone adds very little value. I opted for the factory limited slip since it is good enough and free. A locker up front offers the most value in virtually every circumstance. I have wheeled up and down the east coast, the Rockies, Moab, Black Hills, Ozarks, etc. It's all about fundamental physics - the front end helps you climb over and up things with your engine power. The rear tires usually break traction attempting to push the front forward and upward over identical obstacles.

My build includes adding a locker and it will be installed in the front axle. And the reason is based upon three plus decades of personal experience wheeling all sorts of vehicles in dirt, mud, snow, gravel, slickrock, etc., all around these United States.
That’s nice. Kinda sounds like you are used to getting into the 5% of conditions I said I have never been interested in getting into. I don’t know the OP’s ultimate goals but if they’re like my goals it’s just to have a truck that can get me through heavily muddled or excessively snowed forest service roads. And I’ll tell you right now I’d rather have a RWD truck with a locker and some weight in the back over ANY FWD car out there. Been there and done both and I’d way rather have a locker in the back.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Rear selectable lockers are great but no need for selectable up front with the cad system we have

Front is more important if you are in any deep mud or have objects to climb. I have ran 14 bolt rears in my jeeps that i welded the orb and it was fine for mild stuff where 4x4 is hardly needed. it was not till after i welded the dana 60s up front where it was unstoppable in most cases…. So it really all depends what you are doing with the truck i would like a selectable locker for the rear though non selectable is sketchy in the winter around corners lol

chas0218

Reaction score
With all this new tech you'd think they would use the vehicles stability control to help with traction on the front axles once 4wd is engaged. They could engage the ABS 4 channel pump to lightly apply the brakes to the slipping wheel.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
With all this new tech you'd think they would use the vehicles stability control to help with traction on the front axles once 4wd is engaged. They could engage the ABS 4 channel pump to lightly apply the brakes to the slipping wheel.
They do have it on the jeeps im not sure on the HD rams @Jimmy07 any info if we have it?

Users who are viewing this thread